Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / GTFO, Moon!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2012 18:41 Edited at: 6th Mar 2012 18:48
Hi guys.

My holidays just started and I returned to an old project (which is not that old at all) - the game formally known as Doyle 2.

After asking a lot of people what a good alternative title would be, there were some candidates such as Doyle vs Gravity that seemed promising, but finally I decided to stick with GTFO, Moon! since it is not as generic and will hopefully generate more interest.

Since the original thread linked above, much has changed - the most important change being the graphics style. I finally found a style that seems to be adequate despite its extreme simplicity. I already posted a screenshot in this thread (where I also asked forum members to help me with the game's title):

Furthermore I worked out a better story as well as a good way to tell it (using quite simple cutscenes and voice over in a Film Noir-ish style, somewhat similar to the movies The Third Man, Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard or even Sin City).
The story is ridiculous and I've got the intention to tell it in such a serious way that it appears to be funny - we will see how that works out, but I'm pretty optimistic.

The final game will consist of several components, the most important one (as opposed to what I mentioned in the original thread) being the Story Mode, which will provide 1.5-2 hours of gameplay, of which half is already done. Furthermore there's the already existing Coop Mode, which will later also support gamepad controls (so far you have to play it with two people using the same keyboard and/or the mouse). Surely it would be cool to play the Coop mode on two different computers, but that's not on my ToDo-list so far.
There are bonus levels and campaigns, e.g. one Challenge Campaign that is meant to provide another hour or so of pure challenging gameplay using all the gameplay elements available without putting it into the story's context. Furthermore there's a Race Mode in which you have to try to reach a given level's end in the least possible time, which currently looks like this:

The motion blur effect will be reduced a bit, and the player is also able to see the highscore's ghost while playing such a race level.

Since I'm a huge fan of Bonus Levels in general, there is and will be more:
-a remake of I Wanna be the Guy (not with the same level design, but following the same premise), i.e. a highly frustrating, almost impossible to beat level that constantly surprises you with unexpected traps
-Short remake-level of VVVVVV (which is already existing, I applied all the game mechanics and copied some of the puzzles from VVVVVV) - I will have to ask the creator of that game if I'm allowed to do that however (it would be even cooler if I could use part of the original soundtrack... but that's quite improbable)
-and again in case the maker of that game allows me to do so, I will also integrate a remake of the complete game Escape from the Underworld, all within the GTFO, Moon!-"Engine"

Note that while this sounds like a ton of work, most of it has already been done. What remains right now is bug fixing, polishing and building the complete story including all the cutscenes (which works well, but is also much work). This is still a lot of work, but considering how much is already finished, I'm pretty optimistic that one day the game might reach its final state.
All in all the game will provide at least five hours of "high quality" (i.e. not artificially stretched out just for the sake of it, but actually designed in a way to be entertaining) gameplay.

Finally, there has been another development, regarding the game's price. Originally I was planning to release it as freeware game, but throughout the previous months I realized that the game's quality would actually justify selling it for a small price, and - I think - it is even possible that quite a few people would buy it.
The price I'm currently aiming at is ~3$ (a bit less than VVVVVV, which imho is on a similar level quality-wise). But don't worry, my target audience is not necesaarily this forum, so I will post a free version at some point to let you test the game.

So much about that. Now what can you expect from me throughout the following weeks and months? Without giving you a concrete date (that never works out, hehe), I believe that I will be able to implement working cutscenes, so I might post a video of the story's intro sequence once it is done.
On top of that I'm planning to build an actual homepage (there already is one, but it is badly designed and coded and uses a rather bad, free domain name) as well as according Youtube-, Facebook- and Twitter-channels once there's enough material of the current version to show.

Thanks for your interest. Comments on anything mentioned above, be it the graphical style, the price or anything else, are highly appreciated!

-MrKohlenstoff

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2012 21:02
The new graphics theme fits the stick-man hero. Well done! I'm looking forward to trying it out.

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 01:17
This actually looks really cool. Any videos of gameplay at all?

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 12:21
Quote: "This actually looks really cool. Any videos of gameplay at all?"

There's a list of some gameplay videos on the website, and there are more on my youtube channel. However, they were all done with the old graphics style, but the gameplay itself is mostly the same as now.

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Mr Kohlenstoff is MC.Over <|at> web.de your current email? Email of your webpage ( mrdoyle <|at> web.de ) doesn't work. :x
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 16:04
@Gunslinger: Strange, actually both of them should work. So yes, the first one is indeed in use, I've received your email, thank you for that and I'll respond soon.

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2012 20:03
the new graphics style looks great. Good work. Can't wait to see more!

Vitamin
Years of Service
User Offline
This game looks awesome, and the title is catchy LOL. I will have to check this out sometime.
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 12:16
Looks great! From that first pic it looks like someone's been playing portal

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 14:40
Impressive!

One tar drop in a honey jar: main hero (and plants) looks too sharp, unlike other smoothed sprites.

«It's the Shader, shader me this, shader me that»
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 21:04
Thank you everybody.

Certain similarities to Portal are somewhat intended, since it was quite an inspiration to work on GTFO Moon in the first place.

Unfortunately I did not work on it as much as I had planned to throughout the last two months, and will not be able to continue the project till September. But once I've got a bit of spare time again I'll do my best to finish it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:38:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:38:43