Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Some models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 18:42 Edited at: 18th Mar 2012 15:56
Hello all! I've been modeling for quite a few months and have finally made up some decent models. I'd love for some feedback from you all! Thanks!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 22:59
I'm not sure what any of them are but nice job anyhow! They're good starts!

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
Tiarn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 04:21
It's from Runescape, I'll be posting more pictures when I get the chance.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 20:09
Oh alright. Looking at your new ones, you might wanna be a bit more conservative on the polygons in the future but for start they are really good. Try using Subsurf a bit less. So far though, the pumpkin is probably the best one you have their. And as for the character, you probably don't want to start character modeling until you're a bit more experienced. Try focusing on one subject at a time, then when you get that down pat, try another. That's what I've been doing so far and it has worked really well for me.

You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
Tiarn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 03:09
Alright, Thanks for the feedback !! Yeah, I'd the pumpkin is my favorite, I followed a tutorial to make it though, everything else is completely me and some modeling sheets for the character one. Yeah the character is supposed to be high model for cinematic's and the like, and she's only blocked out so I haven't even begun the detail on her yet. I try to focus on one subject at a time, such as weapons and such but I always end up getting side tracked with another project. I really like the one with the helmet, axe and boot. I was really proud of the textures on it, what did you think?
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 04:20
Well, to be quite completely honest I didn't know what any of it was, except for the helmet ^_^ No offence intended of course. Just keep on the track you're on. You're going great! Actually better than I was at your point!

Tiarn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 04:26
Oh no it's completely fine! You would only really understand if you've played the game it was from, I'll post some links to what they look like! Thanks though! Any tips or advice, I'd definitely love to hear.

Axe in game:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110214022015/runescape/images/e/e6/Rune_axe_detail.png

These are what the boots look like in game:
http://www.zybez.net/img/genimg/dragondrop/DragonBoots.gif
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 04:45 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 04:45
I immediately recognized the shoe. But didn't quite know what the others were right away without the context of the shoe.

It looks like the helmet is rather high-poly compared to the other assets in the first render. I'd try to match em up a bit. Especially the ax. Right now it looks like it would be rather difficult to get a good hold on it. I'd round out the handle. The textures looks pretty good. (Looks like the wooden ax handle is mirrored?)

The pumpkin is nice. The lighting is done pretty well with it. What program are you using to model and render?

The girl.. I would suggest working on finishing the girl all the way through, then get some clothes on her. There are several benefits to this. You can get the anatomy and proportions spot on, and you'd have a good base mesh to be able to modify easily in the future. Even though you say she is high poly for cinematics, it would be much, much easier to work on with a lower amount of vertices and faces to edit. Once you've got it all laid out in a simple fasion, (just like with the clothing) you can move up from there.

All in all, you're doing great. And just like Mr. Gatlin above, you're doing better than I was at your point. Keep at it.

Quote: "I always end up getting side tracked with another project."

Yup. Same here. Then I always find it hard to go back to it... because there is always something else to move on to!

Tiarn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 05:06
Yeah the axe has four sides on the handle, as does the one from the game, I tried to match it to that as well as I could. The texture on the axe is not mirrored, just an image slapped on the side there. I use blender 2.6 and I don't have luxrender or anything, I just use blender to render all my stuff. After taking of subsurf modifiers and changing the shading to flat instead of smooth, I've gotten the girl model down to 729 verts, which isn't too bad right? How much should I try to push that down to?

[img][/img]
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2012 01:22
Hmmm, That looks more than 729 verts... Although that does look good! Nice job. You need to be paying more attention to the Polygons (Appears as Faces on the top bar)

Tiarn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2012 15:18 Edited at: 20th Mar 2012 15:58
It's sitting at 658 polys with no subsurf on it, which isn't too bad if I'm not mistaken, right?

New sword I made, Both sword and scabbard sitting at 350 faces.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2012 22:53 Edited at: 20th Mar 2012 22:56
658 polygons is really awesome! But of course you have to have to the hands and head
As for the Sword, it looks good but the handle is way too square and uncomfortable to hold, try to use a bit more polygons and make it rounder.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 23:11
That pumpkin thing looks realy cool!
Tiarn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2012 17:22
Alright, I've rounded out the handle and I think it looks a lot better. Thanks, once again, for all of your guys' wonderful help!!!
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2012 19:40
No problem at all! I don't mind helping out a beginner artist, especially one that's caught on so quick and has so much potential! You've been doing a great job so far on all of the models and you should definitely keep going. I can see you being a great artist one day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:18:50
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:18:50