Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / overclocking an old pentium 75...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I have an old pentium 75 that I would like to overclock, but I don't have a manual (of the motherboard), the BIOS doesn't support the overclocking. So I guess I need help?! I would need to overclock it manually, and not via BIOS... does anyone know how?

thanks in advance....
Jurgen

"Only when all the seas are poisened, only when all the trees have been cut only when all the animals are killed, people will understand that money can't be eaten..."
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 17:10
Ok, listen carefully, this gets pretty complexe...

DON'T OVERCLOCK ANYTHING!

The disadvantages and risk far outway any possible advantages you might gain.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
Ronaldaveo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 18:14
Theres nothing wrong with overclocking, I just dont see much point in doing it with a processor that is that slow anyway.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 200FSB ; 256MB PC3200 ; Geforce 2 MX400
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 19:17
A 75mhz computer is worth nothing what have you got to lose?

There might be jumpers or dip switches on the motherboard that control the multiplier and fsb. Get a magnifing glass and see if you can see anything written on the board that tells you what jumpers do what.
If you can't pull out everthing appart from the video card and the processor, change a few likley jumpers and turn it on and see if the procesor speed has changed.
Work out what jumper does what and then increase the speed until it stops working. Be carfull what you change, I can't really remember but there where quite a lot of chips around at the time and some may have run at different voltages. You could fry the chip or mobo wiht that technique.

From some site
Quote: "Overclocking P75s is risky business though. Intel never intended to make a P75. The problem was, they had terrible yields initially on their P90s, but they found a good percentage of the bad chips would run reliably at 75, so they created the P75 and phased out the P60 and P66. (The P66 was actually a better performer because of the bus speed.) The P75 sold like crazy, and Intel wasn't going to can a best-seller, so once they got over the yield problems, they still marketed P75s. I've heard of people going as high as 133 MHz with P75s. I experimented once with a P75 and took it as high as 120 MHz, but couldn't get 133 (I suspect people getting to that level may have been increasing the voltage). It didn't run reliably at 120 MHz for long, though I know of people who swear up and down they got 75's running at that speed reliably with no special tricks."
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 23:09
ya, im sure there are jumper for your multiplyer at least. I would love to see what a vapochill or promethia coudl do with that

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2003 23:11 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2003 23:13
one more thing: Overclock is okay.. but only if you plan to upgrade hardware withing 6 months anyway. Even if you dont fry a part you still significantly limit its lifespan. I overclock because I buy new hardware all the time. As soon as prescott come out Ill be buying a new mobo (with PCI express) and a new prescott. But for many here thats not an option. Im 17 and make decent money so I can easily afford it. I guess that was a long way of saying dont overclock unless you can afford to lose all of you parts.

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
for chist's sake frog. your computer is a PIECE OF CRAP. you need a new one WITHIN THE NEXT MONTH.

you know what annoys me? people who don't realize just how good they've got it. lol

stop looking at me!
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 04:49
He he. I think Frooger is going to get a new aleinware PC come end of december

Fun with smilies

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 21:36
well, for one it had to be said, there is seriously NO POINT in overclocking your pentium 75. It's not made for overclocking, and i doubt your cooling system is capable of handling the heat it will dish out.

If you havent got a fan on your heatsink, don't overclock it unless your just playing, it WILL die. If it does have a fan on your heatsink, you may get away with it running at around ~90mhz, but only with a bit of good luck. Running at 120mhz, your chip would have a maximum lifetime of 2 days i'd say. With a chip like that, i wouldnt recommend overclocking it anything more than 5mhz extra, in which there is seriously no point in wasting your time.

Anyway, find out the make of your mobo, and the model number, and look for information on which jumpers do what on the internet. There are normally two ways, one would be to look for your mobo model written on the mobo itself, normally near one of the sides, with some FCC and CE information, etc. If it doesnt say on your mobo (some oldies don't), then when you first turn on your PC, and it starts to perform the POST, look near the bottom of your screen, it may say the model number. If it does, press pause/break on your keyboard which should stop the POST, and you can write the info down on some paper, then look on the net.

The only other way would be to the idea the winch came up with, and to go around the board playing with jumpers. The problem is, there are alot of jumpers (especially on old mobos), which if on the wrong setting, could just kill your mobo and sometimes everything attatched to it (it's funny when you blow everything up at the same time, changing some weired setting to make everything go with a bang- yes i once got bored and found an old i286 in my cupboard). If you resort to this tactic, i'd recommend first changing the nearest jumper to your chip. If thats not the one, then try the jumper nearest to the PSU > Mobo connection.

But be carefull, old things break easy.

TMB - under construction
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
Jurgen
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry for not replying faster, we have exams going on....

"there is no point in overclocking this old thing", well, it's just for fun: I never did it before and I would like to get to know how it works and stuf, so this would make the perfect test-pc (I mean if it breaks, crashes whatever... so what?)

and there's nothing writen on my mobo except for: "Made in Taiwan" lol

So I guess I'll just let this post die out?!

"Only when all the seas are poisened, only when all the trees have been cut only when all the animals are killed, people will understand that money can't be eaten..."
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 22:44
wise man.

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:37:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:37:58