Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Christmas decorations already?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 14:41
It's only 4 days after Halloween

"That's not a bug, it's a feature!"
"Variables won't, constants aren't."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 15:30
Guy fawks tommorrow hehee, got Chris comming down from Seattle and my sis from Austin
i'm gonna have alot of fun blowing up a large portion of land (^_^)

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 15:43
Don't do what someone did here in UK. A group of lads bought a gerbil from local petshop and attached it to a big rocket with an elastic band. You can imagine the outcome.

Boo!
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 15:48
Quote: "You can imagine the outcome."

He was the first gerbil on the moon?
hmm... mabe I can strap my little brother to a rocket.... where do I get ruber bands?...

Morfy's Law - Enythink thet ken go rong willll.
Cole's Law - Thinly sliced cabbage.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 15:58
As far as commerce sites are concerned, it's Christmas!

Re: the gerbil - with any luck it died instantly but turned into a flaming ball of fur, hit the kids in the face and scarred them hideously for life.

Cheers,

Rich

"It's easy to be mean when death equals a high score screen."
"You can take your Quake and go away, I'd rather play Bubble Bobble any day."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 16:10
well i was just thinking of aiming them at the helicopters that go by like those college students at inde day.
can't believe they tried to shoot it down with a bottle rocket

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 16:41
@ESC_: tsk-tsk, where's your christmas spirit?

lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 16:43
bah humbug!

lagmasteruk - [url]www.lagmaster.net[/url] is alive! [url]www.dbforums.co.uk/[/url] - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9 is out!!
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 17:46
It's still packed up untill December 15th.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 18:03
You're still at christmas ?
Happy Easter everybody

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 18:09
I agree with Rich. I don't mean to be judgmental here, but frankly I hear of huge amounts of vicious public violence in the UK, with people getting away with it all the time... frankly it's sickening.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 18:13 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 18:16
you forgot something...
Happy new year.

Quote: "I agree with Rich. I don't mean to be judgmental here, but frankly I hear of huge amounts of vicious public violence in the UK, with people getting away with it all the time... frankly it's sickening."

hehe, in case you haven't noticed, the UK isn't the problem. It's the whole world! Some years ago, here in Brasil, an improtant man's son and his friends set fire to a man who was sleeping in the park. Guess what? Because of the kid's father's position, nobody got punished.

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 19:42
christmas! whoop!

The frosty gfx fill me with christmas cheer

- My online portfolio/under construction
- The Media Base/under construction
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 20:01 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 20:02
TK, I'm aware of that, but from everything I have heard and studied it is far worse in the UK than it is here in the US-- which gets most of the crap about shootings and crime etc. I've been to New York and frankly it's not that bad. I'm not blaming the people, I'm blaming the utterly useless legal system and government over there, which really dosen't seem to give a damn.

Beer for my horses...

Anyways, I like the christmas decorations. It is a bit early, but I guess Rich was in a deocrating mood .

A very nice %it, indeed.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 20:02
[href]I agree with Rich. I don't mean to be judgmental here, but frankly I hear of huge amounts of vicious public violence in the UK, with people getting away with it all the time... frankly it's sickening.[/href]

This is primarily a UK site, so you'll hear UK stories

I'm sure this sort of tihng happens in the US and in the rest of the world. Legalised guns, anybody?

"The trouble with the French is that they have no word for 'entreprenuer'" - Pres. George W Bush

Please visit http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 20:03
'This is primarily a UK site, so you'll hear UK stories'

Legalized guns lower crime rates, this has been proven time and time again. Shootings are incredibly common in the UK-- making guns illegal only stops people who want to protect themselves. Murderers get them anyways.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 21:15 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 21:17
Quote: "Legalized guns lower crime rates, this has been proven time and time again. Shootings are incredibly common in the UK-- making guns illegal only stops people who want to protect themselves. Murderers get them anyways."

You are so wrong, im not saying the UK is some sort of dreamland, obviously it isn't, but legalized guns lower crime rate? Yeah, right, whatever. The UK police forces are just way overstretched (and very crap at their jobs), thats why we have quite a bit of crime.

Quote: "Shootings are incredibly common in the UK"

Not really, the difference is that we make a big fuss (i mean if there was a shooting near my area, i'd make a big fuss about how crap our government is and all sorts, but if there was a shooting in a New York neighbourhood, there would be near to no fuss at all).

Anyway,

Rich I was wondering if we could have a little advent calendar, like the countdown to dbp calendar last year. That was pretty cool, going on the pc everyday to find out something neat about what dbp *would* be. I don't know what the advent calendar would be about, it would just be kewl

TMB - under construction
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 21:22
lol - what's going on? I'm sorry Mouse, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Where the hell do you get your statistics from?

If gun crime was so bad here, I think the government would've figured out that cops need guns by now. As it stands, we're still having a hooharr about CS sprays, before they're considered a tad harsh.

Apart from gangland gun crime, which is present in force in most countries of the world, there is very little gun crime in this country. You'll be lucky to hear of 1 shooting a month in the whole of the UK.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 21:32
Where do I get my statistics from?

US:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/
http://www.wessalmon.com/000177.html

UK crime rate info links:

http://www.ontheweb.co.uk/uks/crime-rate.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/470425.stm

'You'll be lucky to hear of 1 shooting a month in the whole of the UK.'

The statistics say otherwise .

I'm not saying it's hell over there, but it's getting worse.

'The UK police forces are just way overstretched (and very crap at their jobs), thats why we have quite a bit of crime.'

Overstretched police and a lack of any form of self-defense. There are even laws on defending yourself with martial arts, when your attacker has a gun... just unbelievable.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 21:47 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 21:51
You have to remember that statistics are generally a load of arse though.

In fact, one of your website links explains it perfectly ...

"The rise is mainly due to a new method of counting crimes reported by the 43 police forces in England and Wales."

i.e. Crime rates have skyrocketted, because now we count crimes differently.

Also the media and the government agencies display their statistics in totally different ways. Governments want to make crime seem low, and the media love to make it seem like we're all gonna die.

But forget all that. You need to get out onto the streets to see what it's like for yourself. Obviously you can't do that in the US, because you're likely to die of old ages before you make it across the country, but in the UK I travel around a lot, and it's just aint as bad as all that.

It's hard for us not to think of the US as much worse than us though. Don't know about other crime, but gun related crime?? We never have high-school shootings. We don't have sniper attacks. We get gang related crime, and the odd farmer shooting trespassers with his 12bore.

EDIT: Btw, there's no way legalised guns would prevent any of the gun crime in this country. I can't think of a single case where someone has been shot in their own home in this country. It's always on the street (where you obviously can't carry).

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 21:51 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 21:52
'We never have high-school shootings.'

Give me an hour and I'll prove you wrong. The idea that in the centuries of history since guns have been invented, a teenager has never shot someone inside of a schooling building in the uninted kingdom is pretty ridiculous.

And frankly while you may not have shootings, I'm not just talking about crime. Take that gerbil incident up there. That's animal cruelty. It won't be counted in crime statistics boards. But it's still vicious and it still makes the country a worse place for it. Things like that are most of what I'm talking about.

'We don't have sniper attacks.'

And you can count the ones we've had over here on one hand.

'It's always on the street (where you obviously can't carry).'

You can in most decent states over here. That's the main idea.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 21:57
Quote: "It's hard for us not to think of the US as much worse than us though. Don't know about other crime, but gun related crime?? We never have high-school shootings. We don't have sniper attacks. We get gang related crime, and the odd farmer shooting trespassers with his 12bore."

So true

And that farmer, how on earth did Tony Martin end up in prison? Isn't this the sort of thing that maybe shows what the UK is like against gun related crime? I think it's sick that you get thrown in prison for getting rid of some burglar kid who was trying to rob his house. Instead of jail, i think he should of been given a large sum of money for doing the cop's job for them. Anyway, thats a different story and this thread has gone way off-course

TMB - under construction
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 21:58
I'm not saying we don't have crime and bad stuff, I'm just saying I doubt very much it's any worse than in the US.

The idea that in the centuries of history since gerbils have been invented, a teenager has never shot one into the air on a firework in the United States is pretty ridiculous.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:00
Quote: "Give me an hour and I'll prove you wrong. The idea that in the centuries of history since guns have been invented, a teenager has never shot someone inside of a schooling building in the uninted kingdom is pretty ridiculous."

Good luck, I havent heard of one in my life. The closest thing iv'e heard of (admittedly very recently), is a pupil stabbing another pupil with a knife.

Quote: "'We don't have sniper attacks.'

"

That's nothing to be proud of.

TMB - under construction
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:01
' Instead of jail, i think he should of been given a large sum of money for doing the cop's job for them.'

Agreed.

Fallout-- you forget we'd have to have rockets invented too. And my point was that was not that it didn't happen in the US, but I bet any similar cases you will find will have the teenager taken into court for animal cruelty and put into heavy phyciatric care, which is just about what they would need.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:03
Quote: "'We don't have sniper attacks.'

"

That's nothing to be proud of.

You seem to be forgetting that have something along the lines of fifty (just a geuss) times as many people over here as you do. Five< sniper attacks divided by fifty and rounded down is none-- there's your completely statistical answer, no difference in the people.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:09
I dont think a kid needs psychiatric care for strapping a gerbil to a rocket and trying to teach it to fly. Unfortunately, as sad as it is, it's totally natural for young male kids to do messed up things when they're young. Some don't see the damage they cause bullying kids, some don't see the danger they're in setting fires, some don't respect animals and don't see a problem with animal cruelty.

They're kids. Kids do stupid things. One day kids will grow up.

All these shrinks these days. It's way over the top. All they need is decent parenting.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:11
50? no way, please get the facts right...

USA

UK

That's more towards the "5 times more" mark than "50 times more".

TMB - under construction
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:15
So by that logic we should have had at least one by now, and more crime in general than the US
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:15 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 22:16
'All these shrinks these days. It's way over the top. All they need is decent parenting.'

Which is not being supplied in those cases. I rest my case.

'50? no way, please get the facts right...

USA

UK

That's more towards the "5 times more" mark than "50 times more".'

As I already said above, it was a guess. I would like to see where you got those statistics, but I believe you. ACtually that's more towars the 'six times more' mark, which still reduces the amount of Mystical Sniper Attacks down to 0. On top of that you've got all the political reasons behind those attacks, and that is far too complex to bring into this.

Edit--
'and more crime in general than the US'

Might be a shocker, but UK crime rate percentages are higher than US, last I checked. Look in the links above.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:22
Anyway, my point in this discussion is the UK has sh*tholes and nice areas, as does the US. We have murder, robbery, rape, paedophilia, animal cruelty etc etc as does the US. Numbers vary all year round and from place to place. We're unlikely to be any worse than most other european countries, or the US.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:24
Quote: "and that is far too complex to bring into this"

Lol, the brits are growing in force mouse, this is really the wrong forum for a US vs UK argument, i remember the last one, it got messy. It's not really fair on you guys, we could do with a 50/50 argument. Anyway,

The US statistics where taken from real-time (updated hourly), from some government website, and the UK statistics where taken from the Statistics 2001 website, the statistics (obviously) taken from 2001.

Given that the UK population is growing all the time, the statistics I have shown are old, and the UK population should now be alot larger than that shown, therefore going even further away from the "50 times more" mark.

TMB - under construction
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:26 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 22:27
'Lol, the brits are growing in force mouse, this is really the wrong forum for a US vs UK argument, i remember the last one, it got messy. It's not really fair on you guys, we could do with a 50/50 argument. Anyway,'

I'm arguing crime and cruelty rates as per a fault government and educational system, not 'this country vs this country'.

'Given that the UK population is growing all the time, the statistics I have shown are old, and the UK population should now be alot larger than that shown, therefore going even further away from the "50 times more" mark.'

That I don't believe. I'd like to see where you've garned that information .

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:31
ok, these are the two places i have gathered my data from:

http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=185

TMB - under construction
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:35
From your own source:

'The UK population has grown by 17 per cent overall since 1951, but compared with many other developed countries over the same period, the UK population is growing more slowly.'

Those statistics are a mere 2 years old. In fifty-some years the UK grew 17 percent and it's slowing down. In other words six times is still far more accurate than five.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 22:37
Our Educational system is one of the best in the world. Can't give you a source for that information, but it's just one of those things you hear on TV, or from professionals again and again. True or not? I can't prove it, but as someone who's been through all the stages of it, I'd say it's good.

As for the police force, we do have far too much red tape. Too many criminals get away with things. We have our priorities screwed up in the justice system. Our police force is under-staffed, which could be so easily rectified, but isn't. Having said that, the cops do a good job. We're busting up the drug world good and proper right about now. Drugs are actually getting a lot more expensive on the street (no, I don't buy any myself before you ask) which is a sure indicator that the cops are doing well. So who knows about the police? They're doing a good job in key places, they just dont have the manpower and money to do it all. Big shame.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 23:09 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 23:10
Quote: "As far as commerce sites are concerned, it's Christmas!"

Just admit it Rich, you stole the idea from google

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 23:17
All this crime talk has totally messed up the christmas spirit of the thread

Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 23:32
hey comon guys! Its nearly christmas...

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 23:43 Edited at: 4th Nov 2003 23:45
true, i'd like to say i'm sorry to santa and all you db'ers

and merry christmas everyone

i once heard that saying "merry christmas" to people when it isn't christmas is bad luck, is this true?

TMB - under construction
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 00:06
probobally not, lol

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 00:25
Is any 'bad luck' or 'good luck' thing true? Nope. It's all superstition when you look at it logically. It's up to you which, if any, you choose to believe.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 01:34
I dont really believe in luck either. You make your own luck.

Ho ho ho. Merry christmas btw.

ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 01:55
Oh, I've got Christmas spirit...more than anyone can handle.....
(I've got some Hannukkah spirit going on, too)

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 02:00
might just be me here, but i'm finding this all a total and complete load of bollocks ... and its really put a chrimp on me enjoying blowing up a small peice of america and a life-size carboard cutout of Justin Timberlake on a bonfire for guy fawkes

now i'm just going to have to get mind numbingly drunk... i hope ya'll are proud of yourselves.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 02:27
Mouse - some things effect people in different ways. To me if I read in the papers about animal cruelty of any kind, it has more of an impact on me than if I read about two kids killing each other. I don't know why, but it's true. It's like - the animals CAN'T defend themselves, it's just mindless violence. Personally I hope those kids have their gonads bitten off, IF the story was true, but that's another point - plenty of urban legends around here are taken for face value when they probably shouldn't be. I've seen nothing about the gerbil tale in the papers or on the news to confirm it's real. So to me although the idea is worrying, the fact we don't even know it happened puts it on the same league as the "gerbil in the microwave" urban myth (that started in the US).

Gun crime is another matter altogether. I don't care what "rights" people should have to carry weapons, etc etc.. if you didn't have those rights, you wouldn't have such frequent and violent outbursts involving kids being shot dead at school of all places. There is no excuse for that, no reasoning, no argument that would ever make me see otherwise - no public guns and these things simply wouldn't happen. No stats will ever prove otherwise, it's common sense.

Cheers,

Rich

"It's easy to be mean when death equals a high score screen."
"You can take your Quake and go away, I'd rather play Bubble Bobble any day."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 02:32
I'm aware that you disagree with me on the gun subject, I didn't mean to phrase my post to sound like I thought you did. You may or may not be aware that weapons are not allowed in schools and this is very stricly enforced-- but just like gun laws can be broken, so can the school security systems.

A very nice %it, indeed.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 02:38
schools shouldn't NEED security systems.
i don't remember any of the schools in our area ever needing them and we were fine

ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 02:43
For anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend "Bowling for Columbine" (whether you like Michael Moore or not)

Phantom Warrior86
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 05:36
Sung " its beggining to look a lot like christmas everywhere you go, children begging, parents charging everywhere you go its beggining to look a lot like a good year for toy companys!!!" thank you thank you very much

happy holidays from everyone here in alberta canada

"he who laughs first always forgets easiest"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:49:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:49:40