Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Virtual Memory

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a small C: drive, but a larger D: (Which is a hard drive). Is it ok to manually specify the amount of Virtual Memory and set it the D: drive? I was about to do this when Windows said something like, "You may not be able to reboot your PC and this setting may adversly affect your performance". That message sort of scared me away.

This is still Chessplaer! I just decided to spell my handle correctly!
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 17:16
I've done it before, just make sure you don't put too little.

Morfy's Law - Enythink thet ken go rong willll.
Cole's Law - Thinly sliced cabbage.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 19:29
it's usually better to let windows manage the swapfile but I think it will always try to use the drive the os is installed on. So if your os is on C, that's no good based on what you said about not too much space - setting it yourself to D shouldn't be a problem.

good luck

-RUST-
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 20:32
If D is faster than C, then you should swap to D, otherwise leave it on C.

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Insert witty comment here...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2003 20:41
A friend of mine told me that setting my virtual memory swapfile to some percentage of my CPU speed would aid my gaming performance. I did this, and the only difference I noticed was that Windows was choppier and WinAmp skipped whenever I started Opera up . I've switched it back to automatic and I don't have those problems anymore.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 21:18
I have heard that setting it to a fixed value is better because it can cause slowdown when windows changes the size. No idea how true that is.

It might be an idea to defrag the drive before you tell it to use that drive. If the swapfile is broken up all over the drive I could see it would decrese performace as the drive is jumping about.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 02:04
fixxed values are better becuase then Windows dynamically sets the values and clears the Pageflip rather than waiting until its full and allocating more within its reasonable limit.
it's also quickest to have a single 16gb or less drive as the Pageflip drive prefferably running as fast or faster than your main hdd.
allocating the size on your main/windows hdd can cause alot of slowdowns... and best of all once you've set the values set Windows to Automatic again, it takes into consideration your changes and optimises the system accordingly

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
900mhz | 256mb | FX5200Ti 52.16 | Dx9 | WXP-Pro

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:35:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:35:48