Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / A Wanderer Returns...

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 16:13 Edited at: 15th Apr 2012 16:19
Hi all.

After a long spell away from the DBC scene, I'm back!

A few things have changed - for one, I'm living in the UK again. Out of work at the moment, but looking hard...

With a bit of spare time on my hands, I've dug out my faithful old friend Dark Basic and started tinkering again. I have a new project I'm working on (which I won't bore you all with now), but since I lost the source code to my IDE I've been using DarkEdit.

After being frustrated with it's lack of features I looked for an alternative IDE for Classic and found nothing advanced enough for my needs.

Fortunately, while searching through some old CDs recently, I found the source code for my own IDE and now have a new version of DarkIDE! I've fixed a few bugs in the 1.0c version and also addressed a few concerns of users from the old IDE forum thread.

But, things look pretty quiet in the DBC camp at the moment, with few new faces. I guess this was inevitable when the free version of DBP was released, though I still prefer the simplicity (and challenges) of DBC myself.

Nice to see Latch, LBFN, The Comet, OBese87 and one or two other familiar faces still knocking around though...

So, if anyone wants to play with DarkIDE V1.0c, let me know and I'll start a new download thread.

TDK

[href=http://www.computechtenerife.com]
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 19:13
I'll be the first to welcome you back.

Even though I joined in 2005 I didn't start posting until around the time you left so we've never bumped into each other before.

Anyway, hope to see this new project you're working at some point and hope you find a job soon.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome back TDK!

I never tried out your old editor, but I've lately been using DarkEdit. If yours is an improvement, I'm interested.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 21:22
@29 games

Thanks for that!

Quote: "I never tried out your old editor, but I've lately been using DarkEdit. If yours is an improvement, I'm interested."

Since I decided to let my old domain name and website die, all the download links on here stopped working, so you probably wouldn't have been able to find it anyway.

I like to think it's better, though you'll have to make your own mind up on that one.

But, of the many features it has that DarkEdit doesn't, the main one I can't live without is the ability to see a list of all the labels (or functions) in the program and be able to jump instantly to any of them with a mouse click.

TDK

http://www.computechtenerife.com
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2012 21:35
Do my eyes deceive me? Could it really be the infamous TDK has returned? So it is!

Good to see you back, hope the job hunt goes well. I wish I still had your IDE, but alas, it was lost in the HDD crash of 2011.

So many games to code.......so little time.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that you should move on to DBPro now that it is stable. Although I was addicted to Classic myself, it had a lot to do with me losing work in DBPro. That doesn't happen anymore.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey TDK! Welcome back! I was thinking back recently when I started using DBC I learned pretty much everything I needed to get started from your MatEdit website!

You should tinker around with mat edit again. I remember you started making a new version but I think it got shelved somewhere along the way.

Enjoy your day.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2012 04:39
Sorry I don't remember you...

Just kidding!
We had long given up hope that you would return, tell us of your journey through this "outside".
I only recently came back myself, after also losing my job too.
Why did you come back to the UK? You know we have no jobs here!
Maybe we actually have a chance of reviving DBC Challenges now you're back.
I just realised I'm doing my old thing of a smiley on nearly every line.

Good do have you back old chap.
I also feel penguins are worth mentioning.

WARNING: The above comment may contain sarcasm.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2012 13:45
Good to see you again TDK. I was a humble newcomer back when you frequented the DBP and Newcomers boards. I've sinced moved onto AppGameKit but I after reading this thread and the DarkNoobs one, I might install DBC just for a bit of fun.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 00:39
So the legends were true... A historic day this is, one I feared I would not live to see. Your return has fulfilled the prophecies, and will hopefully shed light upon the void of the DBC board; a board inhabiting nothing but a rare collective few traces of life. Welcome back TDK!

I have fallen victim to the dark side (DBP), and am flummoxed by it's power. Unfortunately I've followed a goto, not a gosub, and have no desire to return. I am very interested in your editor nonetheless, as people have been rumoring about it ever since your departure.

I must know, are the myths true? Is there really a... real world? A world in which there are seemingly infinite polygons and texture resolutions?

TheComet

Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 12:31 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2012 12:32
(Google translation)
hello tdk,

I post much, but I come here regularly. Darkedit I use to code, but I think it is incomplete. the arrival of a new IDE is good sound. I'd like to test DARKIDE, can you put a download link please?

DirectX 9.0c (February 2010)/ DBClassic v1.13

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 21:36:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 21:36:34