Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Physics] Static Mesh doesn't work correctly?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 00:09 Edited at: 19th Apr 2012 04:08
If you check out my video you notice two things:
- The collision is a few feet away from the building
- I can't go though a clear opening in the object

Is this the design of Dark Physic Phy Make Rigid Body Static Mesh command? Is there something I can do about it? Alternative physics or collision I could use?

Thanks,

DigitalFury

Get Out Alive (Zombie WIP): My latest zombie game I am working on.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 13:28 Edited at: 19th Apr 2012 13:29
have you got hold of the physX debugger that Nvida does to check where thing may be going wrong.

link to visual debugger,(you will have to join up to get the down load but it worth it.)
http://developer.nvidia.com/physx-visual-debugger

this would help show if the building objects you have made are doing what you are thinking and not something else.

Also if you are use the character controller to move to man around make sure that you have used half the height and width of you object or it will be to big.

if you look in darkphysx demos tutorials folder you'll find another version of character controller showing how the height and width is work out.

Hope this helps shout again if you still stuck.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 20:15 Edited at: 19th Apr 2012 21:02
I checked the character controller and it wasn't the problem. I downloaded Physx Debugger and I have no idea how to use it.

Here is another vid more clearly showing what I mean:

Here you notice a beam above me is blocking the character from moving forward.

Is there a way to edit the physics mesh somehow?

DigitalFury

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 21:10
from what I can see it looks like the static mesh can not work out that your building have part that you should be able to go though, this might be to do with your model, check that the faces are the right type and that you do not have clear planes where you want to go though.

to use the de bugger you need to add the line

PHY ENABLE DEBUG

before phy start and have the debugger running before you start your program.

then you should see how your program looks to the de bugger.

Would write more but post message is on the blink on my system so typing anything is a pain.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 21:33 Edited at: 19th Apr 2012 21:34
@HowDo - I don't see any plains covering up the entrance.

DigitalFury

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2012 21:26
Might be a pain to do, but if I where trying to find out what going on I would take the building that is not going as I would like and put into a world all by itself plus my character and then see if works, if it does then I will know its not the building but some else.

your picture above seem to prove that the character capsule is correct so it not that.

Can't see if the building is set right as you may not have switched on all the de bugger bits that show things like boundaries and other checking states, otherwise it looks like it should work you can clearly see that it does not.

Could you just post part of your code that show how you load your world and then what you use to make it phy static, might see some thing there, however I don't think there will be anything as that part is very limited on what you could do wrong.

the only other thing that comes to mind that might be doing it is phy skin width. however I don't think that works on static parts.

Another thing I would do to check, would be to set up a way of filling a building with small spheres, fill up the model, if they stay inside then model is not set right, if they all fall out then, time to start look elsewhere.

another thing I would do, is to load the character demo that comes with DarkPhysx add the de bug enable line and see what that looks like in the visual debugger, how does it show an opening. then see if you are seeing the same in your world.

Most of the time with physx, its something simple that it get missed because we think it can't be that.

hope this helps a bit more.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2012 22:18 Edited at: 20th Apr 2012 22:44
I set skin width to 0.0005:

Here is my load world code:

I tried the sphere thing and the spheres jumped out of the building as expected.

I'll try loading only that building.

Thanks for all your help so far!

DigitalFury

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 17:48 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 21:31
oops what I posted was incorrect, now thinking again.

edit

trying to make whats happening with the character demo on my system so that I can say its this or that.

Most Of what I thought could have been it, did not fail so still working through a few more.

a few I've tried.

scaling up the model, passed.
rotating the model, passed.
using a static box, passed.
using static mesh, passed.

So running out of know faults.

At first I though it was you where adding models and then making a static mesh, but then checked a few demos and tried that my self and it seem to work OK, so counted that one as, a passed ok.

the only other way you might want to try is load everthing in save it as a dbo, then load that in and make a static mesh. however I dont think you should have to do that, as how else would you added more objects.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 19:50 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2012 19:50
@HowDo - Everything is a .dbo anyways. I can't think of what it could be. I just think it is a problem with the .dbo file. Something must be wrong with the mesh somewhere. Visually I can't find anything wrong with it in the debugger. I might just have to create some boxes and use that instead with the models that are giving me issues.

Thanks for your help so far!

DigitalFury

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 21:19 Edited at: 14th May 2012 21:23
PhysX character controllers seem very dodgy. I had the same issues with Dark Physics. Having just started playing with Dynamix today, I've noticed the capsule bounds don't relate correctly to how they actually collide. The radius and height both have to be brought in a long way to get the correct collision. It looks like approximately half the distance.

I have a doorway which is 1.8 units tall, and when my character controller capsule is 0.9 units high, it just squeezed under it with a little bounce. 0.8 and it sails through cleanly. 1.0 or above, it can't get through.

It does seem very odd that PhysX would have a problem of this style for so long, but stranger things have happened. Try making your character controller half the height and radius you think it should be, and see how you get on.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 01:23
Quote: "Having just started playing with Dynamix today, I've noticed the capsule bounds don't relate correctly to how they actually collide."

Yes, that bugs me. Not sure if skin width plays a part as well but it seems to be more than the skin width would account for.

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 02:47
@Matty H - I plan on buying Dark Dynamics actually. Hopefully that would fix this problem I am having.

Also, looking forward to that ragdoll update!

DigitalFury

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 12:41
Quote: "Yes, that bugs me. Not sure if skin width plays a part as well but it seems to be more than the skin width would account for."

Yeah. I wasn't about to raise a bug report and start banging on your door. When the debug render is showing the meshes aren't touching, but the physics system is still resulting in a collision, then it's obviously a PhysX issue and nothing to do with your wrapper.

Seems strange to me though that it would still be here after this time. It makes me wonder if there is perhaps something special about character controllers that isn't made clear.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 14:58
Quote: "Seems strange to me though that it would still be here after this time. It makes me wonder if there is perhaps something special about character controllers that isn't made clear."

Yes maybe. Since the character controller is just a kinematic actor with lots of extra features added on top I think perhaps the collision(capsule)shape they use is maybe as big as it looks and the extra stuff they added on top is what causes the mismatch.

I would try to make my own character controller but I think having the shape bounds look a little off is a small price to pay for all the features you get from the built in character controller.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2012 00:03
Quote: "I would try to make my own character controller but I think having the shape bounds look a little off is a small price to pay for all the features you get from the built in character controller."

Yeah, agreed. It's 5 minutes of tweaking radius and height values and the problem is solved. Looking forward to continuing experimenting tomorrow. I've got my character controller running around my level happily. Time to add character animation back in, and then I'll start smashing those boxes together I've been looking forward to.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:20:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:20:11