Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2-D to 3-D: Texturing Objects Perfectly - How???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have become quite amazed with how a person can make a perfect texture around a complex 3-D shape with ease. This has been killing me so I must ask. What is your secret? Is there some kind of program that makes the textures for the shapes or is there a more simplistic knowlage behind it.

I will use the alien.x model in the downloadable DBPro package. It has a .bmp texture perfectly aligned to the object. The most confusing part is that the texture appears to have no seeming order to it. It seems as if parts of the alien were flayed and then scrambled back in some random order (forgive my gruesome analogy but it is odd).

I have tried making textures on paint (I know... its sad) but they cannot compare to the splendor of the textures made from other authors. I have heard something about mipmapping but unfortunately the command menu in the trial version doesn't even say what it does let alone usage...

Please I must ask what to do. I know it must not have been a fluke with the alien.x model and .bmp texture because the binary moon tut's have similar texturing methods (unfortunately it does not explain how he came about the odd semblance of texture pattern just tells you to use it )

I must thank the great people at the sight and there wonderful insight beforehand. (remember everyone was this naive... once)
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 03:03
i was just barly wondering that myself! i was just about to post something asking how you do that. any help would be nice

Two words, moo.
Black Hydra
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn saw the post and thought someone had answered !

Well at least I know I am not crazy... I think
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 03:28
What they do is texture it when it is made in the modelling package. When you ge tbetter at modelling, you can explore this.

I am not a good modeller myself, so I am not an expert on this subject

Hope I could help

Matt

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing---A new brand of Racing---Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" - Hamish
Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 03:29
The textures you describe are made by "unwrapping" the 3D model (the flaying bit!) where UV mapping coords are generated so that parts of teh model can be assigned parts of teh same texture. Kinda like an atlas is a flattened version of the Globe, so the unwrapped texture is a flattened version of the model.

These are then painted (using photoshop or similar - NOT Paint - lol!)

I think Lithunwrap is a popular tool for this and also high end packages like 3DS MAX 5 etc can do it too (but that's for rich doods only)

"My ignorance amuses me..."
http://www.victory-road.co.uk
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 03:51
Milkshape 3D has texture coordinate mapping, so this is not a feature limited to high end packages.

Search the web for 'skinning models' and you find plenty of examples of how to do this technique.
--
TAZ

Here's an excellent walkthrough on how to use Milkshape to skin a model:
http://www.planetfortress.com/tf2models/tuto/ms3d_sc/tuto_ms3d_sc3.htm
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2003 22:20
Look up a program called LithUnwrap. I know a lot of ppl use that to make a uv texture for a model. 3dsmax can do it, but i find its method rather confusing.
Velorien
Years of Service
User Offline
It's easy, even in 3ds max. You select the polygons you want to texture, apply a unwrap UVW modifier and you have an editor that gives you only the polygons you selected positioned over your texture. You scale them, rotate them or strech them over the texture you want and that's it. You just textured your model.
Black Hydra
Years of Service
User Offline
Downloaded LithUnwrap. Unless I am mistaken that is a definate no for my purposes.

It can only import game associated 3D models from games like Black and White, Quake or Half-Life.

I found a great lil' product called Anim8or though. Seems to do UV mapping aswell. Thanks for the help
ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2003 03:00
Hydra: LithUnwrap can import just about any popular modeling foprmat, including .x and .3ds. It's probably the best free option, just make sure to get the last free version (it was discontinued for a limited shareware version)

"That's not a bug, it's a feature!"
"Variables won't, constants aren't."
Black Hydra
Years of Service
User Offline
This is very confusing. The one I downloaded had only an import skeleton format which only imported half-life and black and white models and such.

Do you know where this newer version is?
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2003 00:50
http://darkcoder.co.uk/downloads/lithunwrap.zip

thats lithunwrap incase you got the wrong one.

basically as sonic said, just select polys then uv map them onto the 2d plain, and save the model+texture, and then add colours/textures to the image untill its finished.

when you first start with lithunwrap, it may seen very confusing and hard to get results, so i strongly suggest you get help from someone.

goto my website for tutorials, demo`s downloads and more
http://www.darkcoder.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:33:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:33:14