Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Would anyone be interested in a collision DLL?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 22:53 Edited at: 19th Jun 2012 22:47
@Latch-

I don't know, requiring user input isn't really my style. Is there a way to not have these problems, perhaps through either the use of joystick x,y,z or the input device commands? If not, I can just disable the joystick input. A lot of people just remap their joysticks to keyboard keys anyways, right?

EDIT: I just found out that collisions are better with vertical sphere collision disabled. What was happening before was the player was sticking to things while jumping.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2012 19:47 Edited at: 20th Aug 2012 20:12
<EDIT> Sorry, wrong thread

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
For any interested, while learning to use ColDet, I thought that it would be nice to have some documentation in a more convenient location than the code itself. If you don't mind, then that's fine, I just wanted it in a more centralized location.

So I went through and created a series of help HTM files that mimic the help files that came with DBC (I literally just copied them and changed the content). If anyone would like them, here they are. I also updated the menu.htm file, which is the first page of the help, to include a link to the new coldet help page.

You should be able to unzip this and place the files right into DarkBASIC'S help file. I didn't bother plugging in any examples. If anyone else would like to, that would be great. Otherwise it just has a link to whatever the example was for the file that I copied the first time.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 01:01 Edited at: 25th Aug 2012 01:03
I started editing the DBC help files a while back to get some practice at HTML. I'm mainly just editing the layout and making it look better, introducing style sheets etc. but some of the descriptions are poor so I'm changing those where I am confident enough to. It's so badly formatted when you look at the HTML, obviously done in Word or something. I'll integrate your ColDet help when I get around to it.

Shh... you're pretty.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 01:20 Edited at: 21st Oct 2012 01:21
I'm posting an update to the collision library. I've added an additional sliding collision function:

This function seems to work a little more consistently than the old sliding collision function. It takes more of a "brute force" approach by running several sphere and ray casting tests and eliminating as many unnecessary tests as possible. Ultimately, a cylindrical area is created using 3 key y positions. The idea was inspired by some sliding collision code provided by Fluffy Rabbit in a current DarkNoobs project. The old test was based more on face normals and mathematics.

I haven't compared the speed performance between the 2 sliding collision tests. You can run tests between the 2 and see which one you like better. The old one works, but it occasionally behaved a little unpredictably.

I haven't put together any examples for this new sliding collision function. The documentation for it is inside the include file. If you want to see the function in action, you can follow along with the latest DarkNoobs project where ColDet is being used as the main collision library.

Enjoy your day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:27:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:27:44