Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 21:36 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 21:52
Hello there, long time since i actually posted something substantial. Here is something i have been working on these past couple of days. Ass the description descriptively describes this is the popular real life game of billiard. For those uninitiated in the great game, it is sometimes also called pool, 8-ball or other stuff. The point of the game is generally to shoot your balls into the pools.

The game only has rules for eight-ball, but i think i will add other modes soon. It does not have a full set of rules, but the important ones are there.

sounds don't always work properly

Graphically it is perhaps lacking due to my impatience with drawing stuff like animated billiard balls? or cues. But on the programmable side the graphics i think are quite satisfactory. It has "realistic" shadows, lightspots on the balls and 2 lamps.

OH AND THE if the first person shoots in a whole colored ball he becomes player1 if he shoots striped then he becomes player2

On the physics side:
-very accurate (i think) modelling of the collisions
-quite fail proof and robust (it seems)
-does NOT handle stuff like spin (will perhaps implement when i have time)
-does NOt handle stuff like bank compression, jumping shots, rebounding from pools etc. (minor stuff)
- does not have very nice borders along the pools ( the tilted parts are missing)

CONTROLLS:
leftmouse hold to increase power, release to shoot
rightmouse (if freeshot )(correct word?) to place the white ball
spacekey hold to go slomotion. cool to do on the brake shot

oh and the text in the upper left:
physics loops per second: how many times per second the physics part loops, the higher the better
visual speed : how fast stuff seems to move on the screen, used for slomotion
graphics loops per second : basically fps, if you get < 60 then you have some weird problem

i get 17000 in the beginig (loops/s) and over 200000 in the end

hope you enjoy it and please comment

Attachments

Login to view attachments
noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 21:42 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 21:43
and ze image

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Billiards in the UK is a completely different game. Pool is another game, and this looks like pool.

noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, well im from finland so i just know it as billiard
noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, well im from finland so i just know it as billiard perhaps some kind moderator with some spare time would change the title?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 16:36 Edited at: 27th Apr 2012 16:42
Well it looks good anyway. The balls however look too small, and the pockets look too big.

Here's a good scale example...

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Indoor_Sports_g219-Pool_Table_p2717.html

noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
weird double post by me it seems

yeah, it seems so. i corrected it, but the difference wasnt big. i had a radius of 7.13 pixels and now i have a radius of 7.64 pixels... i checked it mathematically. if its wrong still its because of the pool size on the table which i found from the net. I think ill upload another version with corrected ball size, wall interaction and some other stuff next time i do something radical to this
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2012 02:31 Edited at: 28th Apr 2012 02:35
Quote: "i had a radius of 7.13 pixels and now i have a radius of 7.64 pixels..."

I can tell by looking at it that the change from 7.13 would be something like 12.0. You can get 3 balls in each pocket on your table, but less than 2 balls on a real table.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2012 01:28
This looks pretty cool, good job.

There are at least two types of pool, in the UK we have those yellow and red balls but american pool has the spotted and striped balls. The different versions have different sized tables and different sized balls and the ball/pocket ratio is also different.

Not sure which one you are going for, but thought I would mention it.

noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
okay thank you. I was going for the one with the 9x4.5 feet table and 57mm striped and colored balls
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh, I have never played on a 9ft table so that might be why the balls look too small. However, here is a 9ft table, and balls, and I still think that there is some ball to pocket ratio difference.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7570219_installation-gold-crown-pool-table.html

danctodd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2012 19:24 Edited at: 1st May 2012 20:32
@Pincho Paxton
I think it comes down to the company fabricating the pool table. Then you might also run into the issue of someone buying different regulation billiard balls for their pool table.

Before anyone argues, they are all called billiard balls on the packages at the stores. Not pool balls. So either way, you are playing with billiard balls. At least something has the name 'billiard' in it

@noobnerd
Nice job on this. Billiard or pool, it works out.
noobnerd
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:15:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:15:12