Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hmmm. where to start... where to start.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I just bought dark basic classic about two weeks ago and don't know where to begin.

I am not new to programming. I have tried some C, Java, C++, and QBasic.

I know how variables work and how to manipulate user input. Graphics is what gets me.

Thankfully that's Darkbasics job.

I know basic 2D and basic 3D stuff like camera movement and creating a block or a sphere and moving it around with the keyboard.

First of all I don't want to start off in 3D. I want to start off making 2D games but I cant understand the tutorial on animating sprites that is included in the darkbasic manual.

I thought of buying the book (the one with the yellow cover) but there seems to be mixed reviews on it. Some say if you know how to program dont waste your money, some say its great, some say it doesnt do much 3D.

I dont really care about the 3D part yet, i just wanna start in 2D anyway then eventually step into the 3D world.

I found it for $40 but im not sure if i want to buy it. I figure if it doesnt help me much then I could easily sell it for 25-30 and get most of my money back.

Thoughts?

Truffle
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 10:44 Edited at: 5th Nov 2003 10:45
All I can say is that the tutorials do help alot. I find 2d more confusing than 3d

- My online portfolio/under construction
- The Media Base/under construction
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 17:10
I started in 3d and never looked back. I have written a few old 2-d games like pong and breakout in 3d but they "appear" 2d because all of the objects are very flat (z vals of like 0.01), but then again that's just me.

-RUST-
Truffle
Years of Service
User Offline
The 3D Tutorials that came on the CD were very easy to understand.

So, cattleruster, you basically just used 3D objects that appeared to be 2D? I can see that being a little easier.

Anyone know of any good online tutorials? I saw the two on Darkbasics site but the first one was already on the CD and i have read part of the binary moon tutorial. Any thing else out there?

Truffle
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2003 22:22
check the Codebase

here's 3d pong, but looks very 2d...

-RUST-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 07:51:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 07:51:17