Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D design for gaming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all!

Basically I need help in developing a moving 3d character of myself with buildings in the background but I am completely lost on how to do this! All I know is that I am using autodesk 3ds max...So if any one can help me on this it would be much appreciated
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 06:11
You may want to start on the basics. You can't make an accurate 3D model of yourself from just starting off. I've been doing it for 3 years now and can't do that too well. Not saying that it will take you that long but it's very well possible. Character modeling is very difficult and takes a LOT of good practice. The buildings may be a bit easier though, depending on the quality of them that you want. Like cartoony or realistic.

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
You might be better to use an existing 3d character model and re-texturing the face with your own. There are a couple of threads I am sure around these forums on this and if you open an existing texture you will find that its nowhere near as difficult to do as modeling/rigging and animating from scratch.

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 10:50
I have written up a little resource on character modelling that also provides 2 links at the bottom that ought to help.

http://seppukuarts.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/3d-modelling-character-modelling-methods/

And there's actually the 'Joan of Arc' Tutorial, which is a really good character tutorial that should also help (and is written in 3DS Max).

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.php

UV Mapping tutorial 3DS Max:
http://waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/uvwtut_01.html

Rigging tutorial 3DS Max:

http://www.polygonblog.com/character-rigging/

Hope these help.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The links are interesting. Surprised to see that rigging Max is almost identical to rigging Anim8or. Now I know that I might be able to use Max instead of Anim8or.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 20:48 Edited at: 2nd May 2012 20:49
It's probably been 6 years since I last touched anim8or, but I assume you mean the 'auto rigging' it has? (By auto-rig I mean it calculates an area of points to rig as opposed to have you designate them manually) Other 3D apps do share that kind of feature, I use Carrara and it does the same thing, though you don't get a bounding capsule like you do with anim8or but you're able to jump in and correct any errors cause by the auto-rigging (if any) with a lot of ease. I believe Cinema 4D may have something similar too.

I've never actually used 3DS Max myself though. I stick to stuff I can actually afford the full versions of.

[edit]
How is Anim8or these days? I mean, in terms of exporting? When I last used it, it couldn't export animated models.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It can't export animated models, just single frames of each animation.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2012 22:55
Oooh a rigging tut in max... One thing I've never been able to do... Nice one man...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
GamerGirl22
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys. im not too bad at making the actual model, its just the mapping and texturing , and the actual animation is where i am totally failing!...im kinda new to this so its a lot for me to kinda take in!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2012 14:20
If you've got the 3D model done you could just try and follow the 3DS Max rigging/animation tutorial - looking at the method used it seems fairly simple as far as animation goes. You could use that in your game until you've gotten better at UV Mapping and texturing.

GamerGirl22
Years of Service
User Offline
@Seppuku Arts, Okay I am seriously struggling to grasp the concept of this, would it be possible for me to send you the model I have created and if you could just look over it and see if what I have done is right?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 16:13:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 16:13:25