Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Why does this image come up when you run a DBC game on DVD?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just finished a major project for a company and burned to DVD this image comes up I need to get rid of this or my customer is going to be really pissed.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2012 20:02
DarkBASIC 1.2 doesn't run directly off of a disc, because it attempts to create a folder in the root directory of the drive it is running on, which is read-only in the case of a DVD. So, you need to compile your program with DarkBASIC 1.13.
anon
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using 1.14 enhanced, one step ABOVE 1.13 so shouldn't 1.14 handle it the same?
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@anon
1.14 is 1.20 . But at any rate, I think if you have an installer or something to transfer the contents onto hard drive, you should be fine. I don't think you'd be able to run 1.13 or 1.20 (1.14) off of DVD on newer windows systems anyway. 1.13 tries to write to "C:/windows/temp" which may not exist or not have generic write permissions for systems > XP . As Fluffy said, 1.20 (1.14) will try to write to the root directory of the DVD which won't work.

So if you can install your game from DVD to hard disk, you should be ok.

Enjoy your day.
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 10th May 2012 02:39 Edited at: 10th May 2012 02:42
@Latch-

That is very true, and the solution you offered wouldn't require purchasing version 1.13. Now, back to work on your collision DLL!

@anon-

If the customer expects the game to be able to be run off of the DVD, you could just have the executable placed in %TEMP% every time the DVD is inserted.

It is very easy to copy a file in C, and you can compile the program in Tiny C Compiler, or you can use FreeBASIC to do the same thing, or you can use AutoHotkey (although it might return a false positive in some antivirus programs), or you can write a batch file (although it would make a console window come up), or you could simply write it in js or vbs if you want to learn the Windows Script Host.

After the program is copied, your little launcher program should run it. It's better to have an automated solution like this than an installer, especially considering the fact that DarkBASIC places temporary files anyways. Your customer won't get mad if he finds a copy of his favorite game in his temp folder.

By the way, you should consider keeping all of your media on the DVD and just copying over the executable, as you write the absolute path of the media to a registry value. It seems faster if the media is loaded at load time than if it is copied while the customer is wondering why nothing is coming up on the screen.
jobromedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2012 08:51
I'm by far no pro at this, but isn't it a good gesture towards the darkbasic team to inform the customers with what tool your product is coded with?

Best regards
Johan Brodd
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm by far no pro at this, but isn't it a good gesture towards the darkbasic team to inform the customers with what tool your product is coded with?"

Random?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:21:57
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:21:57