Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Physics] How do I create physics for my 3D car?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I have been fiddling around with Dark Physics, got most of it down. But I decided to make my own simple car (I used milkshape) Now I know that you have to have limbs attached to the wheels from the body and then make Dark Physics simulate it as a wheel of the car. but I don't know if its easier to make the limb from milkshape or ingame? Whats better of the two? And how would I even go about making the limbs of the wheels in game? I also know that sometimes the wheels are backwards when you load the car ingame.. I'm really confused. I've read all the tutorials but I still don't know WHY it works like that, just that it is suppose to apparently. Most of my coding with dark physics is me hitting my head on the desk

Any help would be appreciated

Cheese
YoshiDoshi
Years of Service
User Offline
k so I made a program that outputs the limb positions on the model and the body size, so I put that in and set the y origin to 0.6 since that was where the wheels connected and when I try to drive the vehicle pressing up key should go forward/whatever angle I'm in. BUT it drives sideways.. As if the wheels are not where they appear to be. So I fired up the visual debugger and it is infact showing the wheel limbs sideways and they aren't even large enough to touch the ground! I tried ROTATE LIMB but it doesn't have an effect at all So how do I rotate the wheel (limb) so when I drive it goes forward not sideways? In the game the wheels are showing straight, but the actual limbs are sideways.

Cheese
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2012 01:45 Edited at: 22nd May 2012 01:46
I always start off with the example vehicle program, and place my rigged vehicle into it. I then tweak it from there. The way rigging in Milkshape that works for me:
1. Place a root joint in the center of the vehicle and assign all the vertices that are not wheels to it
2. Right front wheel
3. Left front wheel
4. Right rear wheel
5. Left rear wheel

The wheel joints must be separate children of the root joint. Also, the joints need to be dead-center both horizontally and vertically in the middle of the wheels, otherwise they will hobble along.

Here is a pic of a vehicle that works in Dark Physics that has been rigged as mentioned above:

So many games to code.......so little time.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 22nd May 2012 23:40
I wish I knew how to rig...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:21:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:21:05