Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Float Issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 10:26
I was going over some old code and found a decimal to fraction converter. It has some bugs so I re-wrote it but I'm still having issues. I don't understand why numbers >=1.0 aren't working properly.

Displaying the f# variable shows that it sometimes gets given incorrect values from a simple subtraction. Is there something I'm missing about how numbers are stored that is producing this strange behaviour?

WARNING: The above comment may contain sarcasm.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I converted it to DBPro to save me installing DBC. What I found was that converting b to f# wasn't working because both DBPro, and DBC don't like cross referencing fractions, and decimals. This code doesn't work either, but it is close, and you might see a way to fix it...

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Or if you turn everything into fractions you get this, which might be what you wanted...

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 13:38
Thanks but that doesn't work either. I hate DB right now!

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
You may want to wade through this post regarding numbers in general in DBC:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124455&b=10

There's a particular snippet I wrote that pretty much sums up the inaccuracy of floats and the resulting inaccuracy in float conversions with functions such as val() and str$():

Enjoy your day.
Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 12:39 Edited at: 18th May 2012 23:33
@OBese87
if you use the method of the fixed point (with strings, very accurate), the highest number will be 2147483646.999999999 (you see, 9 digits after the decimal point, with dbc!). Then use the Greatest common divisor and the modulo operation to reduce your fraction.

@Pincho Paxton
for b# = 1.0 to 10.0
print b#
next b#
this does not work in DBC

Edit: add snippet

DirectX 9.0c (February 2010)/ DBClassic v1.20
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 00:15
You should never use exact comparison with floating pointer numbers, you should check if they are within a small range of each other instead.

Fixed version:

[b]
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 00:59 Edited at: 27th May 2012 02:06
Thanks, I didn't know that but it makes sense now I think about it.
There's no "floor" command in DBC so I wrote my own rounding function, this way it works for negative values too.

I was wondering how to write this as a function, how would I return a single value? I decided to return a string and found a useful side-effect of the val() command: it returns the numbers up to the first non-numerical character, in our case the numerator of our fraction. So converting a string back to a decimal is fairly simple, I just have to grab the denominator (length of the entire string - length of the numerator - one to drop the slash). Of course this means I will have to allow top-heavy fractions as a space would mess up the val() conversion. This is fine though, it's a more flexible way of doing it and you can remove the integer, prior to conversion, quite simply by n#-int(n#). (Sometimes top-heavy fractions are even preferred.)

[edit: code updated]

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 27th May 2012 22:12
My take on your function:

Just my 2 cents. Also, why would we want to highlight DarkBASIC's shortcomings, in the days of AppGameKit and a free version of DBPro? I hope we don't lose too many community members.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2012 05:26
I only still use DBC because of DBPs short-comings and terrible editor, so it's swings and roundabouts. (I've never understood that saying, how are swings and roundabouts similar?)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 14:17:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 14:17:03