Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Models separating after Export

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 10:48
Hello fellow developers,

I have a small issue that i can't seem to fix. I have tried to search for the answer (here and Google) but, i can't seem to find any mention of the specific problem that i am encountering.

To give you an idea of what i am struggling with;

I have created a weapon in Blender (very basic pistol), I have animated in such a way that after you shoot, the barrel spin automatically. In order to achieve this i had to make the barrel a separate mesh.

However, when i export the whole model, the barrel is completely detached from the gun itself and is suspended below. When in game, it animates very strangely.

I know it's hard to judge this issue without having an image to go off, but, i am at work currently. I will attach an image when i get home.

But, in the mean time, if anyone might know what i am talking about, please feel free to comment.

Unfamillia

[url=www.touchoffear.webs.com][/url]
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 11:03
I don't know anything about Blender, but it sounds like the barrel's position could be aligned to the pivot point of the gun object. I assume the strange animation is that the barrel goes up and around the gun, maybe?

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 11:11
Zero Slave,

That is exactly it!

Have you any idea's as to what to do there. (sorry if it seems 'noobish', i am still fairly new to modelling)

Unfamillia

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 11:22 Edited at: 18th May 2012 11:23
For a quick fix, you could probably align the gun's pivot to the barrel's pivot, then move both to so that their pivots are at a 0,0,0 world position? It's not a pretty fix, but it would probably work.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 12:07
I will try this later when i get back home.

Thanks for the advice mate.

Unfamillia

New World Order
Years of Service
User Offline
I think zeroslave is right
In blender the shortcut keys to reset the pivot (or "origin" as its called in blender) would be: Shift+C to reset the 3d-cursor to 0,0,0; then select your mesh, then, while in "object mode" click the "Origin"-button in the "Object Tools" toolbar (hit t to show/hide it) and then choose "Origin to 3d Cursor". Now, depending on how you modeled and animated the mesh, this could actually screw up your animation, I'm afraid... Worst case, you would have to redo it...
I highly reccomend using armatures ("bones") for animating things, even simple, mechanical movement. Using this method, you could even keep all the geometry in one single mesh (blender "Object") and not worry about object pivots. If you have any questions about armatures in blender, just ask
New World Order
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for double post, but this point might be interesting to you:

Using bones also allows you to directly modify the position / rotation (and many other things) of these parts of the mesh INSIDE DBPro (using Limbs), like rotating the barrel of a gatling gun, pulling back the slide when the gun is empty etc, without animating it all in blender
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 14:06
@New World Order

Thanks for the advice mate.

I did try it with bones originally, but, i couldn't figure out where they needed to go in order for it to work.

My thoughts for placing the bones were:

one for the main body of the gun (named Stock)
one for the barrel that needs to spin (named barrel)
one at the tip of the barrel (named firespot)

I tried this, but, when it came to rotating the barrel, the entire model rotated at the same time. I think half my trouble is knowing what to make as the parent.

If i sent you the blend file, do you think you would have two mins spare to have a look it?

Unfamillia

New World Order
Years of Service
User Offline
sure!
puzzleowl@googlemail.com
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 14:20
Spot on. Cheers mate.

I am at work at the moment, but, i will send it to once i get home.

I will warn you, it is very basic, so.....be gentle! haha.

Unfamillia

New World Order
Years of Service
User Offline
no worries
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 21:39
I have sent the email to you now.

I have also tried resetting the cursor and moving the mesh to the cursor, but, i think the animations mess it up. I may have to redo the animations.

Let me know when you have had a look at the model.

Thanks again.

Unfamillia

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 23:54
Maybe you need to apply the object location in Blender? The shortcut to this is Ctrl+A.

http://www.talenthouse.com/travisgatlin
You can find my latest work here. Please comment on my work and tell me what you think!
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 14:51
Thanks to New World Order for helping me with my model.

It is now fully operational in FPSC.

Thanks again mate.

As i said, i will send you a fully working version once i have finished texturing it!

Unfamillia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:26:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:26:04