Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / About old products(eXtends, PurePLUGIN, X4, 2DPluginKIT

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2012 12:11
Hello.

I have made many tests to find what caused eXtends product to now work correctly under some VISTA & SEVEN configuration without success.

I want to thank TheGameCreators for their help trying to motivate me to fix this ... but ...

In fact, there were many changes in PureBASIC between the release I used when I developed these products and now... Some of these changes were devoted to increase the compatibility between PureBASIC and Windows VISTA/7...
The truth is that these changes caused many modules of the eXtends product to no more work under any Windows version (including XP) ...
I tried to understand what in my code in // with the changes may cause this ... without success ...
And when I use the old builds, the only thing I have found showed me crash in the DarkBASIC Profession 'createdeletestring' internal function. I'm sure it's not this function that crash but something else (probably related to string) in my code that trash some memory and cause this DarkBASIC Professional internal function to crash ...
Never find what ...

As I think the only solution may be to entirely rewrite from scratch all the part of the eXtends product that no more work ... I am obliged, seeing the amount of work to do ... to decide to not continue this way ... As Odyssey-Creators do no more exist from now a long time .. I cannot invest much time on products that are no more mine... and that cannot help me regarding the *difficulties* of our actual life in society...

I'm sorry for everyone that hoped for a fix... Their solution ... Use the Compatibility mode set as Win98 or XP ... It may allow applications that uses eXtends product to run under Windows VISTA & 7 ... It will be the only solution.

I must concentrate on my family, my job and my personal projects that can help me with the actual difficulties I Have...
you'll maybe see me some day back on DarkBASIC Pro / DarkGDK ... But it will not concern these old products ...

Kindest Regards,
Freddix.
GregA
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems to only be the xgui and xfont systems that don't work. But I have only spent about an hour looking at it. Most of it seems to be straight forward programming.

I would work on it, and stubb those bits out (in c rather than pure basic...), and using the existing examples as the test case, however I am having trouble finding documentation for calling DBPro DLL's from within my DLL plugins.

I would be tempted to buy the documentation, but at $100 for the documentation, that looking at the toc looks out of date, I am resisting buying the documentation...

So to get started, I guess I need an example of how to call DBPro DLLs from within c, and the documentation (reasonably up to date) for the dll's themselves...

My sense is, it would only be a couple of weeks work for me. Well writing it... If I had to reverse engineer the the DLL calls it would take many times longer...
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 22:30
Hello GregA,

In fact, in my research, I've noticed that the problem may be related to *string* handling but, crashes were located inside DarkBASIC Profesionnal internal "createdeletestring" function.

When I compiled under latest 4.51 PureBASIC and some older version ... many of the eXtends plugins were broken and caused crashes.
So I though I needed to have to check all plugin of eXtends to fix these before checking for the Vista/7 compatibility issue.

I didn't think it was impossible but ... it may take much time to do this (as I code on my free time and eXtends are no more my property so I no more work money on these products)

Soonly, I've seen that new PureBASIC 4.61 is released.
I have compiled all eXtends plugin with it ... no more crash but plugins are broken ... I have found what cause the plugins to no more work. the way PureBASIC handle float in procedureCDLL have changed from the year 2007/2008 when I developed eXtends.
So, I have to modify all my internal referencies to DarkBASIC Professional internal functions and, I also have to modify all my functions that uses float numbers as parameters...
It may takes some times to fix all these.
More to this the XGUI & XFONT always crash on Vista/7.
I'm sorry but it's more a question of time and money than a question of capability to fix this.

Concerning how to build Plugin, look at old TGC Newsletter there was an article I've written years ago that explain how to. It should work the same way under C than under PureBASIC.

Kindest Regards,
Freddix.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you planning to release the source code then? If so I might find some spare time to look into the issues you where having. Am using the latest PureBasic on a daily basis for software development. I also own eXtends. Let me know if you need my help.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 09:11
@Olby :
Hello.

I'm no more the owner of the source code.
TheGameCreators are the owner of the product so, only them can decide if they release the source code or not.

Kindest Regards,
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
What a pity. Suppose that's a dead end. Like they say: "No code no help".

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 14:24
Then ... Few changes to have a fix then.

Regularly, when I have a new idea, I test it to figure if it fix the problem ... but actually nothing good .. so I prefer to promise nothing ...

Kindest Regards,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 09:36:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 09:36:56