Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / How do I avoid this tessellation problem?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 02:22
Hey people,

I'm picking up steam again, getting some ideas and thoughts together for a few game designs that I've had on the back burner. I've decided to spend the week creating some models of various items, but this morning I'm curious of how I get rid of this, what I think is a tessellation effect.

I'm so close to having a really comfortable, workable, modeling ability, and I believe this is one of the last hurdles before I can really start mass producing models for my games. The only other thing I'm yet to explore are textures, but simple colours are fine for what I'm doing.

In saying that though, would applying a texture to my models solve this problem?

Cheers,
BFM

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 02:25
I forgot to add, increasing the triangle count didn't fix the problem either.

Here is a screenshot of what the my model looks like in the engineering program that I use to create it. It's then exported to .3DS, and imported into Wings3D, where it's then exported to the .X format.

DarkBasic Help Wikia

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 15:37 Edited at: 16th Jun 2012 15:47
As you can see, there is a big gap in your triangles. This usually happens if you allow the program to do its own automatic triangulation, and smoothing. But models should really be built manually, and each section can be cut with a cutting tool. You really need to take the vertices out of there, and replace them in a manner that averages them out. If you don't want to do any more work on the model, a quick fix is to just cut across the huge triangle.

Your second picture may not be triangulated at all, and the export triangulated it. Maybe the modeller that you are using is not good for exporting models, and is made as a standalone tool.

I suggest that you get a different modelling package, and always work with the vertices visible whilst you are building the model.

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 06:06
Update!

I found that by importing my model as an object, rather than a mesh, and then exporting the object to a .X file, the problem went away! My .X models are now perfectly flat.

DarkBasic Help Wikia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 15:08:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 15:08:46