Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / using plains

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi,

i'm trying to use plains to create the view that i've tried to demonstrate below.

The blue border is the screen and the pink pieces are two frames rotated about the y axis by about 30-45 degs to give the illusion that two walls are meeting ahead. (like an arrow head).

I've been using plains to get it to work but i'm having a difficult time getting it to work.

Can someone help me with this? I think my biggest difficulty is understanding the coordinate systems. Is there some page or information i can read up to understand it better so i can create the desired view?

Also, some code would definitely help me understand. thanks.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2003 08:49
hi _GTP,
Since you're talking about plains, I'm guessing you are using teh 3d commands, am I right? If you are, then instead of trying to create an illusion, just put the plains up like regular walls. You can use camera positioning commands, and if the plains extend far enough, and you angle them right, you can make them meet, cross, be parallel, whatever you want. I'll have to get you some code later, so right now I'll type about coordinates.

You probably already know these, but just to be sure:
x=horizontal axis (negative=left, positive=right)
y=vertical axis (negatvie=down, positive=up)
z=forward/depth axis (negative=backwards, positive=forwards)

Every axis starts at zero, which is a point in the imaginary empty space inside your computer screen (sounds corny, but I find it enlightening). Adjusting values from there moves whatever you're moving along the different axes. Moving an object x,y,z+1 would move it forward 1 unit. x+1,y,z is 1 unit right; x,y+1,z is 1 unit up; x-1,y,z+1 moves 1 unit left, and 1 unit forward simultaneously.

You use the 3d object commands, whether they be loading or creating objects, to place objects around in your 3d space. Then the camera commands allow you to setup the computer screen's eyes, or camera. You can set the size of the camera, width/height of the camera, where the camera is in your 3d space, and how far the camera can see.

I hope if this post just leaves with nothing of value, then you find another means of obtaining the knowledge you seek.

Juvy

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: The First Room (FPS)
Side Projects: SHIPWRECK, the boss's school project
_GTP
Years of Service
User Offline
juvy

word thanks for trying to explain it. After posting this, i decided to create my two plains in the middle of the screen and then start changing heights of the plain until it fit vertically and then started to adjust position using the arrow keys

my only question is: how is the position of a plain determined?

thanks
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2003 21:30
the plains are determined by using the x,y,z axis in the 3d world. where the center is at 0,0,0. the coords for the plain are where the center of the plain will be.

Go on, click on my signature image, you know you want to
Favourite smiley>>>
_GTP
Years of Service
User Offline
so, if i position a plain at 50, 0, 0

then, the center will be at 50, 0, 0 ?

thats wierd or a bit unusual for me, i would have assumed that the left bottom corner or something would be more ideal

_GTP
_GTP
Years of Service
User Offline
also, how can i resize a plain?

i want to use the keyboard to size the plains and position them and then record it so that i can use those values in my program.

thanks.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 01:25
Use the SCALE OBJECT command. It's probably best to use planes of a 1x1 size, then when you scale, it keeps the maths easy to work out the final size.
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 02:22
mmm..i see that you got help already..
anyway..here's simple snippet..

_GTP
Years of Service
User Offline
scorpyo

thanks a lot. your code truly helped in . i'm going to modify it a bit and see how it goes.

but thanks very much. That autocam on/off thing also helped when i turned it off.

anoop

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:31:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:31:03