Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How is 2.0?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2012 19:01 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2012 19:03
I couldn't find a good thread on the topic, we have a team of 4 programmers working on a game and are looking at all the neat features of 2.0 and are impressed. We would also like to support the continued development of the product.

But... what are people's reactions to 2.0? Is it stable? Buggy?

Also, does 1.0 code seem to transfer over effortlessly? I would hate to change a lot of code.
Marsh0
Years of Service
User Offline
I cant seem to get anything in 2.0 to work. But that is probably just me. Went back to coding 1.0.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But... what are people's reactions to 2.0? Is it stable? Buggy?"

Well I find it very flexible compared to it's previous incarnation (PureGDK). Since essentially it's a DBPro wrapper it has the same issues. So if you have a bug that prevents you from doing something in DBP then it will translate to GDK 2.0 as well. Mind you compared to 1.0 it is a definite improvement. Documentation is outstanding and is by far the best I've seen in such products. I also appreciate the ease with which I can use my existing DBP official or third party plugins. And yes, many commands have been removed or renamed to make it more focused and easy to use. Removed commands (system related like file access and ftp) are to be replaced with the ones provided by the your language of choice. My conclusion is that compared to GDK 1.0 it is a tremendous improvement and hopefully they will continue to work on it separately from main DBPro branch and squish the existing bugs.

I suggest you try out current RC builds and see for your self.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Does Mistrel have access to the DBpro codebase and can fix things himself? he is surely very competent and has a good drive force to push the product forward?

If no, and DBpro fixes still depend on TGC, then we're in for a long wait
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 18:50
Not played much with it, I'm kinda waiting for the next RC so I can get it set up in C#, I actually found it really simple to set up in Visual C++ 2010 and it was easy to get something running off that bat, but my C++ knowledge is limited, so I've not really gone into depth with it just yet.

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 19:26 Edited at: 24th Jun 2012 19:27
Quote: "Does Mistrel have access to the DBpro codebase and can fix things himself? he is surely very competent and has a good drive force to push the product forward?"

I do have the complete codebase with commit access. I've got a test build here where I've compiled the engine with SSE optimizations. I haven't tested it yet but it might even give a nice boost in performance.

There are certainly bugs to be fixed in the core engine but I'm not prepared to dive into it until after the final build for 2.0.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I've got a test build here where I've compiled the engine with SSE optimizations."

Quote: "I do have the complete codebase with commit access."

That's just amazing, if we can have a polished product with increased performance then it would certainly turn masses to GDK 2.0.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
That's great news Mistrel.

Now we have peace of mind that there is someone who CARES, who can fix some bugs in the near future.

Thanks a lot for your great commitment to GDK. GDK was totally dead and abandoned years ago, and today it has risen once again!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:16:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:16:01