Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Sopwith Camel

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 21:17
I am making a Sopwith Camel plane for a game I am working on:

2138 polies. No pilot yet.

So many games to code.......so little time.

AJ Schaeffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 12:02
Looks nice

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 12:06 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2012 14:40
Looks quite nice, will you be adding more detail in with a normal map?

One thing to think about is how the player will view this model. Will they be able to see the front of the plane? If not you'll be able to save a load of polys on the prop and intake. Same for the wheels, their very round considering they probably won't be the centre of attention.

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I suppose that's a good point. The wheels are round, but the front of the plane is jagged. Not keen on the khaki colour either. The model is a good template to be finished off with more detail. I would prefer to see the struts inside the wings poking out a bit more.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 17:13
All: thanks for the comments and feedback!

Quote: "Looks quite nice, will you be adding more detail in with a normal map?"

Yes, I intend to do that and I also plan to use a shader on it in-game.

Quote: "One thing to think about is how the player will view this model. Will they be able to see the front of the plane? If not you'll be able to save a load of polys on the prop and intake."

The player will be able to see those things, but I'm sure I can save some polies there anyway.

Quote: "Same for the wheels, their very round considering they probably won't be the centre of attention."

Quote: "The wheels are round, but the front of the plane is jagged."

I've always disliked blocky looking wheels or tyres myself. They will be seen, so I figured to make them pretty round. You make good points. I plan to reduce the polies on them.

Quote: "
Not keen on the khaki colour either."

It does seem to come off as too light. I will try to darken it and scuff it up a bit and hopefully make it look more realistic.

Quote: "I would prefer to see the struts inside the wings poking out a bit more."

Not sure what you mean here. Wider?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Not sure what you mean here. Wider?"

The wooden struts inside the canvas of the wings I mean.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 21:22 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2012 21:23
Here is a pic of it in DB Pro with less polies on the tyres and a normal map applied:

Polies are down to 1898.

Pincho: I know what you are talking about. Are you suggesting I widen them or what?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2012 22:43 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2012 22:45
Quote: "Pincho: I know what you are talking about. Are you suggesting I widen them or what?"

Widen them? The wings should be a bit lumpy. See the lines in these wings...

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 12:40
@Pincho Paxton
Awesome picture you posted, sir!

«It's the Pony, pony me this, pony me that» — Bronies
«I sell apples and apple accessories» — Applejack
Derpy delivers: watch?v=g4Kgz4Us_RI
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Awesome picture you posted, sir!"

Yeah, just Google. I would try to get something like that, with the wood, and all. I think it can still be low poly, because a lot of it is texturing, and Normal Mapping.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2012 17:31 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 22:44
I see what you mean, Pincho. I had googled it more than once, but I never saw that one. I will work on it. Thanks.

Attachments

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 19:33
Its looking ok, but can I give you some advice.

Im not sure what you game is or what you have in your plan but I would consider chucking a few more polies at your model and really nail that geometry, even DB pro would be able to handle it. If poly count does become an issue then replace those wires with an alpha`d plane to cut your model back if you have to. There are loads of tricks to keep your game running fast. LOD models, distance fogging etc.

Increase the size of your texture map, its really easy to downsize your textures if you run out of memory but imposible to increase them, at the moment your textures look very blurred / stretched. I always start with a texture size 2-3 times larger than what my final image size will be and just bring it down as required.

Dont get caught up in normal and specular mapping just yet, they require a little understanding to use them properly. I would concentrate on getting really good diffuse textures for now. Your game will look better for it, trust me.

There are some great tutorials on textureing planes on youtube and various flight sim forums, take a look at them it will really help you to make your models far more realistic.

Good luck with this project, I will try to advise further if required.

Portfolio
My Blog
Available for weddings, bah mitz fers, funerals and freelance work.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 21:56
Frap, thank you for the comments and feedback. The polycount is under 2K now, which was my target. However, once I add a pilot I will need to shave some to keep it there, so point taken. I do plan to use LOD and some other tricks, and I don't believe game speed will be an issue with it once I am done.

Quote: "
Increase the size of your texture map, its really easy to downsize your textures if you run out of memory but imposible to increase them, at the moment your textures look very blurred / stretched. I always start with a texture size 2-3 times larger than what my final image size will be and just bring it down as required."

okay, I will do this.

Quote: "Dont get caught up in normal and specular mapping just yet, they require a little understanding to use them properly. I would concentrate on getting really good diffuse textures for now. Your game will look better for it, trust me."

okay

I intend to check out the tuts on texturing planes to see what they have to say. I think the texture is okay, but I know there is room for improvement.

Thank you for the offer to provide additional assistance. I plan to implement your suggestions and intend to repost sometime in the near future.

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 22:34
Alternativly, cross my palm with silver and you can concentrate on coding your game and I will make the models for you

I will warn you now though I aint cheap, but not the most expensive either, for this model I would charge you around £1700 and you will have it in 2 weeks.

Portfolio
My Blog
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 22:35 Edited at: 6th Jul 2012 22:43
Personally, I think that Normal Mapping is easy, because I got it to work first time I tried it. You can just draw a greyscale bumpmap, and convert it in Photoshop. That's the easy way. There are only a few squares, and lines to draw, and that little ridge of leather around the cockpit.

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jul 2012 22:50
Quote: "Personally, I think that Normal Mapping is easy, because I got it to work first time I tried it. You can just draw a greyscale bumpmap, and convert it in Photoshop."

There is that option of course, there is also crazy bump et others but if you want a really decent result they nedd modifying and playing with. At the moment the diffuse is really letting this model down. It doesnt matter how well you make your normal and specular and maybe paralax maps if your diffuse looks crap so will your model.

To summerise, learn to walk before you try to run.

Portfolio
My Blog
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 18:26
Okay, I implemented the suggestions offered, and wanted to show an update on my progress.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2012 18:40 Edited at: 10th Jul 2012 18:42
Why are your wings so thin? You see the grey gaps in the wing flaps, you wouldn't see grey with thicker wings. It looks like you are trying to save too many poly's.

See the wood inside the wings? That's how thick the wings are....

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 22:51
I thickened the upper wing, but honestly, it was a lot of work for minimal gain in my view. Here it is:

There are supposed to be gaps near the flaps. I could make the gaps smaller, but they are there intentionally.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well yeah that's minimal, but I meant like this...

http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2309/camel_files/Image40.jpg

But at least you improved it a bit.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 01:52 Edited at: 17th Jul 2012 01:52
I think I am pretty well done with it now. I did revamp the propeller and saved some polies (1670 now). Thanks for your help Pincho.

Attachments

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 12th Aug 2012 12:43
I think I may have a go at this model myself, it looks like a fun project. I think I am goona aim for around 6000 poly`s not sure if I will make a high to low poly bake yet I may just create a greyscale height map and run it through a photoshop plugin to turn it into a normal map.

Whats your next model for this project?

Portfolio
My Blog
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 03:53
I am basically done with my next model for this project, it is a Crotale NG:

[img]http://[/img]

I am working on turning the turret in-game currently and have to make a missile for it.

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2012 12:16
What is your target platform?

If it were me I would simplify the 2 poles the vehicle is resting on.
It looks like you've just projected a texture onto the sides and wheels, leaving the turret and those 2 poles looking plain and unrealistic.

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:08:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:08:58