Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Sigh...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 04:05
I got my package with Delphi Studio 7 Pro today, and was happily going to start porting my chat program and my programmer's toolbox to it, rather than keep on with Visual Basic.

Unfortunately, if I haven't gotten a flawed package, it is the most buggy piece of rear end extrusion opening I've ever seen. I can't edit it because the codecompletion goes haywire. I can't even cut and paste in it.

It's not my system, so I'm miserable. I've spent hundreds of euros on a piece of excrementile amalgamation from a canine, and I won't get my money back until next week.

Just thought I'd spread the misery around a bit.

Cheers,
Microman

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 04:09
you mentioned vb, have you looked into vb.net? It's quite impressive. But that's my opinion.

Sorry to hear about the misery.

-RUST-
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 04:17 Edited at: 9th Nov 2003 04:20
Well, I did, sort of. Look into VB .NET that is, but I like the lean nature of the programs you can do in Delphi. You get fairly small, singular executables, whereas with VB you have to package a lot of stuff when you deploy it to make sure it runs on the user machine.

Now, I don't know if that is true for VB. Net, but I wouldn't be surprised. I've had the Personal version of Delphi 6 up to now, and thought I'd continue on that path, particularly as Delphi Studio 7 is .NET capable.

Alas, no...

Cheers,
Microman

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 07:15
Cool on the delphi thing. VB .net is just everything us vb6 guys could have dreamed of and more. All of the COM Automation garbage is dropped but still supported using Interop Wrappers. Finally a true OO version of vb-not this "partial OO" stuff like 6 and 5.

Actually I just downloaded the DirectX SDK - For Managed Code (C# and VB.NET) and I am liking what I am seeing. All of the core DX stuff is still there for the hardcore C++/DX developers but it also includes "dumbed-down" versions of the objects so that DX noobs like me can get a handle on it. Hopefully I can get into the swing of it because then I can Game Program in my default language VB (.NET) but for now I am still liking dbp. All I can do in dx9sdk is create a Device and render a triangle to it

-RUST-
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 08:23 Edited at: 9th Nov 2003 08:25
DX you say?

With a wrapper?

*wiping away drool*

Is it expensive? I've been using VB 6 for ages, but it's been impossible (well, nearly) to code something decent graphically in it.

Perhaps I should buy that instead. But generally, with Microsoft products, you have to add a zero or two to the price of other code development tools. I paid hundreds of euros for Delphi. I suppose VB .NET costs a couple of thousand.

-----
-----
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 08:44 Edited at: 9th Nov 2003 08:46
DX I did say, no wrapper for it tho - pure .NET Classes/Objects for managed code! so you can program managed/unmanaged from VB6/C++6 or VB.NET/C#.
when I said wrappers up there I was referencing COM in .NET. Yes VS.NET is pretty pricey - I have the top of the line version Enterprise Architect which goes for around 2000 dollars, but you can get Visual Studio .NET Professional for like 650 or so which includes VB.NET, C#, J#, and C++ so it's not that bad. I got my version for 250 thru a friend who was a MS employee, actually I bought 2 one for me and one for my programming partner/buddy. Too bad that connection at ms dried up LOL

you may wanna goto msdn.microsoft.com and follow the link to the .Net Show where they talk about all this great stuff for DX9 SDK and even show some code a few dx demo's running straight out of C#

cool.

ps- the sdk is Free to download and use just hope you have a good broadband connection - you're looking at like 400 megs total (read my thread about MS Site slowing down the other day)

-RUST-
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 09:26
Was that why? I mean, was that why it slowed down, because you downloaded a 400 MB file?

J/k. I've got 10 Mbit, so I'll do fine.

I'll have a look at it, definitely.

-----
-----
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 11:35
Is the Visual Studio.NET worth it?

Well, i have a version which I "obtained" from a friend who actually owns it... but I've never even looked at the CD's since i got em, so I haven't really done anything illegal... lol...

Anyway, back to my question, I've heard that there are other, better, or equal compilers for C++ and C# (they are the languages im looking into) rather than the Microsoft ones... I'm not too sure, cos I'm not up-to-date on the C scene.

But, that said, it would be real nice to know if i should spend my money on that or keep it to fly to England (From Australia, where i live) to see my girlfriend next year...

Thanks fella's/ladies...

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:40:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:40:04