Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / software of hardware rendering?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
which one would be faster and more flexible for making 3D games and/or applications?

i do like DBP... its just that there isnt much flexibility with the visual effects... and i have not noticed the speed to be all that great...

making a game like Unreal or Half-Life (the originals), seems okay with using DBP... but anything more advanced than that, im not seeing DBP able to handle it?

if im wrong... please let me know... and maybe a demo of something created in DBP would help... ive heard of a HL2 spoof that was made in DBP (rumors), but i am still having a difficult time think that something like that could be made in DBP!

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 07:04
well as far as rendering, pure hardware rendering is faster hands down.

-RUST-
Genesis Rage
Years of Service
User Offline
what about flexibility? in my tireless efforts trying to light a level and not hurt fps, or make extremely LARGE image files for use with a lightmap... i have almost come to the conclusion... that it cant be done! or at least i dont know how... and no one will share their knowledge it if can...

im just trying to add more realism with lighting effects... but have not found an easy way... or even a good way of doing this!

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 08:41
Quote: "which one would be faster and more flexible for making 3D games and/or applications?"

Well, hardware is going to faster than software. That's not to say you couldn't achieve a reasonable result in software however.

Quote: "
making a game like Unreal or Half-Life (the originals), seems okay with using DBP... but anything more advanced than that, im not seeing DBP able to handle it?
"

And what exactly are the 'more advanced' features your after. ?

Quote: "
if im wrong... please let me know... and maybe a demo of something created in DBP would help... ive heard of a HL2 spoof that was made in DBP (rumors), but i am still having a difficult time think that something like that could be made in DBP!
"

I've never heard or seen anything like that done in Pro.

I don't think it is realistic to assume that DBpro can produce Doom3 / HL2 etc quality titles. It is generic tool, those games use purpose specific engines. Given enough horse power in your machine however, primarily a very high end video card and a good dabble of shader effects, you could certainly create something that is pretty impressive.

Kevin Picone
Play Basic - Visible Worlds - Kyruss II
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 13:49 Edited at: 9th Nov 2003 13:51
Does one even choose Dark Basic Pro for high profile games like that? I mean, I like Dark Basic Pro, but I don't think that there's any chance it could produce a Half Life 2 or even a Return to Castle Wolfenstein... I'm even doubtful it could produce a Half life 1.

Perhaps it has the innate power to do so, but those kinds of games require a whole team, and a couple of years of development, and I'm not talking about five guys in a basement (or in five basements on different continents).

So, I'm sorry, but I don't see it. I might be wrong, but I don't see it.

However, for what it does, it gives whopping power to the types of games that are within reality's reach. I mean imagine even contemplating writing a Quake 1 as a single developer using Visual Basic, or for that matter even Visual C++...

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Genesis Rage
Years of Service
User Offline
im not asking this because i will be able to do it... i just want to know where the "envelope" lies... i would rather push the envelope on DBP to make a game... the program my own engine (because i have no idea where to start, and prolly couldnt even code an engine as good as DBP)... or spending 3/4 of a MILLION dollars on another engine!

that is Unreal's engine! $750,000! (license without royalties)

i would rather spend 5 years developing a game in DBP that looks something like Half-Life... then spend 5 years making a Doom2 clone writing my own engine!

MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 18:10
Well, there is no envelope, apart from the physical I guess. With the extensibility of the language, with the possibility of dropping in DLL extensions that can utilize the DX API core more directly...? Who is to say where the envelope is.

If you're clever enough, there's always a way around the obstacles. But then again, I believe, that if you're clever AND persistent enough to use the extensibility of DBP then you probably want to handle the DX core directly anyway, in another language. If you're that good, you can probably get a job in the business.

This is a meritocracy, after all. Few people care about grades from universities, but if you can show that you can make that computer sing and dance, in a new and fun and unique way, then the sky's the limit. I guess.

Cheers,
Microman

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Genesis Rage
Years of Service
User Offline
thats the problem... im not that good... or i would be using another language, and programming is more of a hobby with me... i would love to have a job doing it, but like i said, im not that good... yet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:31:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:31:32