Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The Stricktrix Online

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 04:32 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 00:47
The Sticktrix Online(STO) -MORPG (DPRro), is a project I started on a few years ago and have slowly, (very slowly at times) working on. It is greatly inspired by the game The Matrix Online(MXO), which is no longer around. While MXO is the inspiration behind this game, STO will be very unique in story progression, combat, and many other things. While this is still early in production, I am pleased to say that I have put a lot of time into the design and the game is aimed to support a around 50 players in a server at a time. Time will tell if this number will be able to be increased or decreased.

Story:
The story behind the game is you are a normal person (stick figure), that one day discovers the world is not what it seems. You find that there is an entire new dimension (and some lack of dimension) all around you that is threatening the world you live in. You have the option to either join the fight to save the world, help destroy it, or simply don't care. Either way, you will gain enemies and friends.

The world consists of a huge city, segmented into various "sectors" that contain various different environments. For example, there is a residential type area, a large metropolitan area, and a few other less "friendly" sectors. Every building in the game you will be able to walk in and explore. This makes the already large city have even more content to find and do. Currently, the world is divided into 100 sections, each mapped out to the various sectors.

How combat works:
Combat is based on abilities and the "basic triangle system". There are a wide range of abilities in the game, from basic damage dealing attacks and healing moves to status inflicting moves. There are two ways to initiate and commence combat, close combat and free-fire attack. In close combat (hand to hand), any weapon and ability can be used, and there is combat time based system for determining when an attack will proceed. This means in a battle, only one person is attacking at a time. Free-fire attack is a ranged battle and only guns can be used, however, a person wielding a Sword has a chance to deflect bullets if they are being fired upon.

The "basic triangle system"(BTS) is focused around the three different weapon types in the game: Martial Arts(Hand to Hand), Guns, and Swords. In general, Martial Arts > Sword, Sword > Gun, and Gun > Martial Art. Basically that means if you have a Gun equipped and have trained you Gun skill, you should much more easily defeat a character specialized in Martial Arts. Each of the three weapon types also has its own abilities, so a character who only specializes in Swords attributes won't find much use in Gun abilities.

Gameplay:
Starting at level 1, you don't have very many combat options, so getting used to combat will be a good idea. There are many NPC's around the world who you can fight that will drop items when defeated. Once you decide which of the three factions you will join, you are available to start doing missions and gaining addition experience and items. In addition to the main missions, there are a lot of random NPC's who you can talk to and get side missions. While most missions will require someones life, there are some where you finding items will be crucial. The side quest system will have a wide diversity for game play options.

Done and working:
-World loading and handling
-NPC loading and handling, synchronized over the server
-Combat handled by the server (each player can have up to 4 different opponents at a single time, this number will probably increase)
-Inventory
-Abilities

Working on:
-Modeling/building the world (world approximated 2% built, but I bought a few model packs that should speed up production time)
-More Characters/NPC's
-More Abilities
-More Animations
-Synchronizing server/client with inventory
-More buildings (currently 7 buildings with interiors)
-Missions system handled by server
-More weapons (guns and swords)
-Adding music and sound (I have a lot, just haven't added any yet)
-Other stuff to be listed

Here's a link to some pictures:
http://photobucket.com/SticktrixIngameShots

And some screenies:

Free-fire attack

Matrix style bullet dodge

Inventory

Here is a quick video of the game as it currently stands, this is connected to the server and running on my slow laptop:
http://youtu.be/Vm00yUZy7KM

I have been making good progress lately with some free time, any questions/comments welcome

EDIT (7/21/2012) New Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vXSJN1O3U&feature=plcp

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."
Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks pretty cool.. Can't wait to see more... A video perhaps?

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 13:14
watched your vid - cool
looks like you've made a very good start. if you continue on in the same way, I'm sure you'll end up with a good resulting game.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 15:37
wowza keen to learn from this, can you tell us which plug-ins if any you made use of?

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 15:44
Nice menu system. Ingame menu systems are the basis of a good game engine.
Your video looks good. Did you use the Advanced2d dll for the menu system?

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 22:10
Thanks guys! Here is a list of plugins I am currently using to develop this game:

Matrix1Utils (Huge thanks to Ianm)
Dark Net
Dark Data
Enhanced Animations
Extends (I use the Real-Time Sky system from this)

I may use others in the future if I find use for them but I usually try to stick with pure DBPro when possible. The menu system is just plain old paste sprite commands

Juggalo Memnoch
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow I'm an idiot.. I completely overlooked that video link
But it really does look great.. I like the seamless transition from outside to in..

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2012 00:10
Quote: "I like the seamless transition from outside to in.."

Totally! would love to know how the interior of the building was made and the doors!!!

I think the lift needs smoothing out...

Quote: "
Matrix1Utils (Huge thanks to Ianm) HAVE THIS
Dark Net HAVE THIS TOO
Dark Data GOT THIS AS WELL
Enhanced Animations ADDED TO PURCHASE LIST AGAIN
Extends (I use the Real-Time Sky system from this) GOT THIS TOO
"

Mega thank you for that list it has reassured me I have made good purchases...

now just need to make something with then maybe in my tech demo

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 01:29 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 01:32
@MrValentine, thanks for the comments. About the building and interiors, most of them I made myself and I control using a simple building system. Pretty much the exterior of the building is a fairly low poly model that is seen from the outside. When a door is opened, the building loads the appropriate floor that the door belongs too. That way, only the floor that you are on or can see is loaded. To determine what floor you on on is simple once you are in the bounds of the building and you know how tall each story is. There is more to it than that but that is the basics.

About the lift, could you possible be more specific as to what needs smoothing out? Thanks

I've been working on smoothing out the close combat and I hope to have a video of it up as soon as I'm satisfied with it.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 02:11
The motion was like near instant floor to floor... You gotta put some music in there you know elevator music >_<

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 02:19
Lol yea, there shall be elevator music

I do want there to be some time delay between floors, some buildings are very tall and waiting to get to destinations could take some fun away from the game but I agree, there should be some sort of delay. Maybe like an automatic 3 seconds regardless of how far it travels. Thanks

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 04:24
This looks like it could be really good You should find some people to help work on it!

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 13:06
Quote: "I do want there to be some time delay between floors, some buildings are very tall and waiting to get to destinations could take some fun away from the game but I agree, there should be some sort of delay. Maybe like an automatic 3 seconds regardless of how far it travels. Thanks "

I mean.. it's really more about polishing and certainly not that important right now, but wouldn't it be nice to have a small display in the elevator that indicates the elevator's movement by showing the current floor? Using something like the square root of the number of floors to pass to compute the time needed might feel more natural than a linear dependency, since there would still be correlation between distance and time, while keeping the delay for long rides short. Something like this:

Anyway - if you ask me, you should really forget elevators for now and focus on something more important.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 17:38
Woah, nice!

You have a very nice menu system, a unique combination of a third person shooter with turn based combat, and the camera appears to be pretty solid (not something you get very often here).

I really only have suggestions for little improvements.

-Increase sliding speed on those menus.
-Add a little bit of smoothing to the camera.

This has a lot of potential and is already looking fantastic, keep up the good work!

TheComet

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 22:06 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 22:10
Quote: "Anyway - if you ask me, you should really forget elevators for now and focus on something more important."

I agree, I haven't even touched the elevator system since I implemented it months ago. I like your idea of using a sqrt calculation for smoothing, I think that may just be the best bet when I touch it up.

Quote: "-Increase sliding speed on those menus.
-Add a little bit of smoothing to the camera."

Thanks for the suggestions! About the camera, I haven't really started making a camera system yet but I know smoothing will be very important.

Yesterday, I made a lot of progress on the close combat system, bother server side and client side. Once I get it to where I want it to be, I'm going to create a few more abilities and start testing status ailments in battle.

I really appreciate the comments and suggestions everyone

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2012 19:19
Hi Super Nova, your game looks great so far. There's a lot you could do with this. As for elevators can I just say that if it's going to be an online game, then the time it takes to go from floor to floor should be relative to the distance, as it might give some people unfair advantages sometimes.

Other than that, looks really good.

Btw, there's a typo on the title, "The StrickTrix Online" - I'm pretty pedantic

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2012 00:37
Quote: "Btw, there's a typo on the title, "The StrickTrix Online" - I'm pretty pedantic "

Wow, can't believe I missed that lol. Maybe a mod can change it for me?

About the elevator, you may have a point about its speed having advantages but I think as long as it is the same for everyone, it should be ok, time will tell. Luckily speed changes are an easy fix
I appreciate the comments, I do have a lot planned for this and hopefully when it's further along I will have a decent demo available for testing to iron out things. There are a lot of abilities/skills and balancing them may require assistance lol. I'll definitely post a full list of abilities when I have them.

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 00:46 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 01:12
New video added, just wanted to give some kind of showcasing of Close Combat despite the fact that it is still buggy. It didn't help matters that there was plenty of cpu lag as well lol.

Basically it is now possible to use abilities in combat, when it is complete, there will be an icon list of queued abilities. I want it to just be point and click/drag abilities onto a timeline type queue so that the user can chain abilities in order fairly easily. I still haven't implemented status ailments into combat, I need to figure out a good way to show a person has a certain status in combat and how that applies to certain abilities.

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vXSJN1O3U&feature=plcp

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 01:03 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 01:52

Quote: "Basically it is now possible to select abilities in combat"

are you serious? equipment fair enough but abilities... thats sort of cheating...

EDIT

Typo in bold

Maybe i did not understand the point... you mean between abilities or change set abilities as that video shows contrary...

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 01:11 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 01:12
@MrValentine- I simply mean that you can tell the server which ability you want to use (not that much of a leap I guess but it took some time to get right). During combat you cannot equip abilities or even open the menus if that is what you mean. Sometimes I am not very good at explaining things Edited the post to make it make more sense

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 01:54
Quote: "Sometimes I am not very good at explaining things"

glad I am not the only one then >.<

No worries, this is what a community of developers is for, to help each other out before we launch our pruducts into the real world, where the sting is far greater than us picking at the small details...

well thats my impressin...

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 00:52
This looks fantastic, looking forward to seeing more progress.

Lead programmer ULIDIA

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:37:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:37:08