Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Free, easy MIDI sequencer?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 07:00
What's the best, free, easy to use (preferably something close to a point-and-click UI), MIDI sequencer for Windows?

Hello one and all...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 15:28
I think there is a basic free edition of fruity loops... but not entirely sure what you are looking for...

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2012 21:06
I just need something that easily creates MIDIs.

Hello one and all...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 01:38 Edited at: 14th Jul 2012 01:41
http://midieditor.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screenshots

I'll be doing a search for midi stuff myself when I get my keyboard back from my sis's house...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MIDI_editors_and_sequencers

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 03:05 Edited at: 21st Jul 2012 03:10
Quote: "...free, easy to use (preferably something close to a point-and-click UI), MIDI sequencer for Windows?"

A pretty decent easy to use one is Anvil Studio. It has a lot of options including entering notes via score. It also has a pretty decent drum machine. You can set up loops and such.

A pretty meaty one with lots of functions and controls is
Direct Music Producer

I'm not exactly sure why Direct Music as part of Direct X was deprecated, probably because it was combined into Direct Sound or something - but at any rate, I find this to be a very top notch piece of software in terms of what can be done with it. It's a bit difficult to get used to, because there are so many layers and options, but midi wise, you can pretty much do anything you want. And you can create a sample library wave table that can be triggered by midi. The format is called DLS (down-loadable sounds I think). This format never really caught on as it's own but SF2 - sound fonts - is based on this format. If you running windows os, there is likely a file called gm.dls. This is a midi wave table that is used with the Microsoft synthesizer. If you run 'dxdiag' and click on the Music tab, choose Microsoft Synthesizer and click on Test. You'll here the wave table in action.

You don't have to use DLS at all, but it's there if you want to build or use your own wave table libraries.

Check out Synth Font.
This uses sound fonts to play midi files. It also has a midi editor. I used to use this years ago, and back then it was good so I can only imagine that it has improved.

Enjoy your day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:46:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:46:37