Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Plugin Release: Game Performance And Timer Plugins

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 07:02 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2012 23:29
Game Performance 2.0 + Timers 2.0

With version 2.0 every bug has been fixed. The one GIDustin posted has been fixed. Everything is running almost perfectly. The seconds, milliseconds, and hours all return accurate values. Even the day which is a very small number returns correctly. Everything has been fixed to account for really small and really big numbers for timer values. The performance runs at 30 fps if you specify 30 LPS like it is suppose to. Everything has been updated!

I created two plugins. One is a timing plugin for getting back really accurate time in Mili-Seconds, Seconds, Minutes, Hours, and Days. You can also set a factor to set a 24 hour day to happen in only 2 hours of game play. The other plugin for Game Performance will increase your performance at it's maximum. It does this by returning the time back to the CPU that the application isn't using. You can also create loops at different rates.

Short version of what it can do:
- Returns the Maximum CPU time back to the CPU so you can get it to run close to 0 for usage.
- Run certain sections of code at a certain rate. (LPS = Loops Per Second) Works great for Do Loop and For Loops that only need to be updated so often.
- Works great for multi-player video games! Control how fast you send packets to the server/to the clients.
- Replaces the sync which doesn't account for performance! To run at 30 FPS just run at 30 LPS

More Benefits of my performance plugin:
Instead of simply running something in a Do Loop you can set the rate it is executed. This way you can find the minimum amount of times per second it can run. This way you cut a lot of needless calculations per second out of the equation! It is great for For Loop, While Loops, and repeat Until Loop because it can be run at any rate! You can save on performance by using these practices.

Another one of these practices is to run the display loop at the FPS you want. Every other Loop can be run at different rates.

Edit: You must set the display loop for a factor of 3 times the LPS to get a target FPS.
All display commands should be run in a loop setup like this:

Instead of running the display at the maximum rate you can set the display to only run for 60 loops or 60 frames because FastSync will update each frame.

I calculate when the wait command should be run to return the maximum time to the CPU. If you just use the wait command you are stealing from the simulation/loop time to give to the CPU.

My performance plugin doesn't steal from the loop time and runs it at a certain rate and returns the CPU time back to the CPU.

My commands are simple to use for any beginner. Everything is explained and shown in demos so you understand how it works. Although there is only two commands they are powerful and very useful for reducing the times a certain set of code is run and increasing performance.

Check out this image to see the CPU usage difference:

Download the demo in the next post and run Performance and No Performance programs to compare the CPU usage.

Copyright: www.myfreecopyright.com

MCN:CBSE7-MU8XE-WSRDR

Just to give credit where credit is due:
- I am using some DBP commands
- I am using Matrix1Util's Call Function Name command.

Requirements:
- You have DBP
- You have Matrix1Util's

The plugins are explained in the help files.

Help Files

Game Performance

Game performance is a plugin for getting a loop run at a certain speed while returning the maximum time back to the processor. The loop will run at a certain LPS cap or Loops Per Second which also means Frames Per Second. The rest of that time is returned back to the CPU. DBP's sync command doesn't automatically do this but my plugin will return the CPU time back to the CPU so it is running it's fastest. This plugin was created to replace the sync command. I do call fast sync in my plugin just to make sure everything is still updated correctly.

Side Note: Keep in mind these loops are not run in parallel. My multi-threading plugin will be used for this task.

Instead of simply running something in a Do Loop you can set the rate it is executed. This way you can find the minimum amount of times per second it can run. This way you cut a lot of needless calculations per second out of the equation! It is great for For Loop, While Loops, and repeat Until Loop because it can be run at any rate! You can save on performance by using these practices.

Instead of running the display at the maximum rate you can set the display to only run for 60 loops or 60 frames because FastSync will update each frame.

Side Note: Keep in mind these loops are not run in parallel. My multi-threading plugin will be used for this task.

` Sets up the Game Performance Plugin
GP Setup

` Input the functions name which will be representing the loop. The LPS cap which can also be thought of as the FPS is the second parameter.
Index = GP Create Task(FunctionName$, LPSCap)

` This command will update all of the loops that were created. It will run them at the rate that is set. This command will not use Fast Sync so it will be Thread Safe!
GP Update

` This command will return the task type. Count – Will run the loop x amount of times, Time – Will run the loop for x amount of time. Loop – Will loop indefinitely.
Index = GP Get Task Type(Index)

` This command will end the task Index
GP End Task Index

` This command will set the task to run for a certain duration.
GP Set Task To Time Index, Duration

` This command will set the task to run for a certain amount of times.
GP Set Task To Count Index, Count

` This command will set the task to loop indefinitely. By default tasks will loop indefinitely
GP Set Task To Loop Index

` This command will pause the task
GP Pause Task Index

` This command will resume the task
GP Resume Task Index

` This command will stop the task
GP Stop Task Index

Time

Timing plugin is for getting accurate time back in either Mili-Seconds, Seconds, Minutes, Hours, or Days. You can set the time factor which is how many hours equals 24 hour or 1 day. You can test if it is day or night time using Is Day and Is Night commands. The event timers will run a function after a certain duration. You can loop it which means it will run the function every duration seconds.

` This command is called to setup the Timing Plugin
Time Setup

` This command is how you create a new timer. It returns the index of the timer
Index = Time Create Timer()

` These commands will return the time in a certain unit (seconds, minutes, hours, ect). Returns the time# for the timer Index.
time# = Time Get Hours(Index)
time# = Time Get Minutes(Index)
time# = Time Get Seconds(Index)
time# = Time Get MiliSeconds(Index)
time# = Time Get Days(Index)

` This command will set the Factor# which is the amount of time in hours per 24 cycle.
Time Set Factor Index, Factor#

` These commands will return a 1 if it is Day or if it is Night and a 0 if it is not.
IsDay = Time Is Day()
IsNight = Time Is Night()

` This command will return how many timers are created
Index = Time Count()

` This command will delete a timer at Index
Time Delete Index

` This command will create an event timer. You provide a function name to call, a duration which is how long before you call the function, and a restart flag to if set to 1 will loop the event timer.
Index = Time Create Event Timer(FunctionName$, Duration#, Restart)

` This command will update all the Event Timers
Time Update Event Timers

` This command will return a 1 if the Event Timer has ended
HasEnded = Time Has Ended()

` This command will stop an Event Timer
Time Stop Event Timer Index

` This command will restart and Event Timer. If restart is set to 1 it will loop the Event Timer
Time Start Event Timer Index, Restart

Cost: $3.99!

Website to buy plugin:
http://www.wix.com/digitalfury/plugins

Buy all the plugins!: Sale Limited Time!
I will have a new sale after the release of Dark UV.

Plugins Details:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=198638&b=5
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=198469&b=5

Full demo plugins are attached in the next post!

DigitalFury

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 07:10 Edited at: 8th Oct 2012 02:27
New Demo!

The plugin included is a fully working plugin. It will just display a message box saying this is a demo. Buy the full version to remove this message.

Time Demo + Plugin Demo: https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2394527

Here is the plugin demo!(Attached)

DigitalFury

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 11:18
What extra functionality will this give me over:

HITIMER and TICKERs

SET TIMER RESOLUTION/NICE SLEEP (this is how I got my Intel Badge in my sig below).

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 16:14
Nice and still looking at that multi threader plugin...

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 18:57 Edited at: 14th Jul 2012 19:16
@BatVink - Good point. I just made something simple for timing. I didn't know there was performance based timers there. Also, awesome you got a Intel Badge!

My timing plugin uses Frequency to be accurate. It also has some conversions so you can set the factor of 24 hours to x amount of hours for game time. I also added days.

For my performance it is simple to use and I calculated everything to give you the maximum CPU time to return to the CPU.

When I say it returns the maximum CPU time I mean it. Most people will just use the wait command which messes with the timing of the loop and returns more time to the cpu and takes from the simulation time. I calculate when the wait command should be run to return the maximum time to the CPU.

I guess the main advantage is that mine is easier to use.

Feel free to download a demo to compare my performance to that one

@MrValentine - It is my next plugin. I'm also tieing in this plugin with my performance plugin to give me performance based threads.

If you have any suggestions of commands to add to make the timing plugin worth buying then let me know.

DigitalFury

Zombie Video Game!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 19:05
Can you illustrate the return of cpu time?

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 19:08 Edited at: 14th Jul 2012 19:16
@MrValentine - Each loop runs at a rate. When the loop isn't running it will wait/sleep so it returns the CPU time back to the CPU. It is just a bunch of calculations to get everything to run right. Took a while to come up with and works like a charm.

Just a side note for BatVink:
When I say it returns the maximum CPU time I mean it. Most people will just use the wait command which messes with the timing of the loop and returns more time to the cpu and takes from the simulation time. I calculate when the wait command should be run to return the maximum time to the CPU.

Feel free to download a demo to compare my performance to that one

DigitalFury

Zombie Video Game!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 19:21
Will likely buy your plugins next month

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 19:22
@MrValentine - Thanks. By then multi-threading should be out and maybe even my TGC official (hopefully) plugin.

DigitalFury

Zombie Video Game!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 19:23
You got mail

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 19:25
You got mail.

DigitalFury

Zombie Video Game!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 19:36
No you got mail

As mentioned in said email

Will the nulti thread be thread safe?

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 19:38 Edited at: 14th Jul 2012 19:46
@MrValentine -
It should be. I'm using mutexs so it is. The only thing you can't do is run the sync command but I have a way to still sync without using the sync command

DigitalFury

Zombie Video Game!
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
DigitalFury,

All of my most recent projects have two loops; an update loop and a draw loop. They are timed independently of each other. The update loop checks for user input, checks for networking packets, handles movement of objects, etc. The draw loop simply draws the scene. For example, I want to run my update loop 200 times per second but my draw loop only 60 times per second.

If your plugin could incorporate this, you may get more users. I would go for a new command:

GP Create Loops UpdateFunctionName$, LPSCap, DrawFunctionName$, FPSCap
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 20:23
@GIDustin - The plugin already does this.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

DigitalFury

Zombie Video Game!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 20:29
I do not want to ask too many questions right now aside from whats...

Quote: "Function Dependency()"

for?

and would rather you got back to work >.,

my future questions will likely lie around

Quote: "
Do

GP Update Sync
Loop

Function MainLoop()
` Put anything in here from math to updating something
EndFunction

Function DrawLoop()
` Put anything that has to do with updating the display
` This includes camera commands and anything that has to do with the display
EndFunction
"

that bit

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 20:34 Edited at: 14th Jul 2012 20:45
@MrValentine - Ok, basically the Dependency is what loads the plugins. DBP's compiler only add the plugins that the program will use. You have to make sure the plugins are included so I can call my commands which use those dbp dll's.

Feel free to ask away on email

DigitalFury

Zombie Video Game!
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 23:13 Edited at: 14th Jul 2012 23:27
More Benefits of my performance plugin:

Edit: I am removing the GP Update Sync command because the sync command should only be run in the display loop not the performance function. This is to further increase the performance!

Any questions anyone has let me know. I can explain how it works or write up a tutorial on saving performance!

DigitalFury

Zombie Video Game!
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 01:01 Edited at: 15th Jul 2012 01:05
I threw up a website where I will be selling my plugins:

Website to buy plugin:

DigitalFury

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 02:00
Cant see anything on it... Just two white blocks... Android SGSII flash 11

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 02:07
@MrValentine - The website doesn't have a mobile version yet. I can make one though

DigitalFury

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 06:25
Still all other flash sites work for me...

but yeah its not important, just showing how it limits your options... as most iOS and MAC users [whom may prefer using their MACS over their Windows for whatever reason when browsing...] will not be able to view your site...

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 06:36
@MrValentine - I figure DBP only works on windows so I shouldn't have much of a problem. I can add a mobile version if needed.

DigitalFury

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 06:40
[cracks whip] get cracking >_<

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 06:53
@MrValentine - Haha, to busy sucked into my other plugin which is better then all my plugins combined XD

DigitalFury

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2012 22:03 Edited at: 20th Jul 2012 23:45
Buy all three plugins!: Sale Limited Time!
SALE OVER!

The sale is now over. The next sale will be after I release two or three more plugins selling every plugin together as a pack.

Plugins Details:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=198638&b=5
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=198469&b=5

Website Plugin Details:

DigitalFury

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 23:29
I did some real world testing with my performance plugin.

These changes must be made to have it run smoothly:

Also, when you put something like update physics or something put it in the display loop with the sync. Make sure you are running at a ratio of 2 to 1 with the main loop to the display loop. That means if the display loop is running at 60 the main loop can run at 120. I found that works out the best.

Happy coding,

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 20:40 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 20:41
Added your plugin to my server program. I want the FPS to be 4, LPS to 1000. That is not what I got. My FPS was 1, and my LPS was ~350. So I set my FPS to 16 and LPS to 4000 and came up right around where I wanted, but still the timing of the plugin appears to be a bit off.

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2012 00:20 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2012 00:46
Edit: Also, 1000 is very high. That is 1000 times per second it is running. You may have slowed down the FPS by running it that fast so don't use big numbers. That might explain why your fps is so low. I'm really certain of this though. I'm sure that the game is running 1000's of frames per second. I think at full speed your computer can only make so many instructions per second. If you get close to or exceed the amount your computer can handle it may has issues with FPS then.

What you are going to do is multiply your display loops LPS by 3 times of what you want for the FPS to compensate. That is the factor.

Here is an example to help you:

I did notice two things:
- FastSync and sync off set at 30 LPS = 20 FPS
- Sync 0 set to 30 LPS = ~10 FPS

I don't know if Screen FPS is accurate for getting the FPS because i'm using a plugin and not the sync command set to a certain FPS.

It seems that Sync Running at 30 times per second should update the screen 30 times per second but that isn't the case. That means I'll have to do some math to get the rate correct.

It seemed that sync running 30 times a second would yield 30 FPS. It is updating the screen 30 times so it should work. I'll work on that factor and see if I can get the correct FPS.

DigitalFury

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2012 03:23
You are probably wondering why you should get the performance plugin. I am actually making a video game featuring my performance plugin. You should see that on the forums soon.

Short version of what it can do:
- Returns the Maximum CPU time back to the CPU so you can get it to run close to 0 for usage.
- Run certain sections of code at a certain rate. (LPS = Loops Per Second) Works great for Do Loop and For Loops that only need to be updated so often.
- Works great for multi-player video games! Control how fast you send packets to the server/to the clients.
- Replaces the sync which doesn't account for performance! To run at 30 FPS just run at 30 * 3 (90) LPS

It is a must have for any gamer. You can boost performance with ease.

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Edit: Also, 1000 is very high. That is 1000 times per second it is running."

The example is a server program. Therefore, the FPS of 4 makes sense cuz I do not want to draw the screen that often. An LPS of 1000 makes it very responsive.

My client program will have an LPS and FPS of closer to 60 each.
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 06:32
@GIDustin -

I tested 1000 LPS with my game and it worked fine. I successfully wrote a server/client for my game using the performance plugin. Let me know if you need any help with it.

DigitalFury

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 23:13
Another sale!

Buy all three plugins!: Sale Limited Time! (A few weeks)

Cost: $4.99 for all three plugins!

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 06:08 Edited at: 26th Aug 2012 06:10
DF:

I have one PC that is having a very hard time with this plugin. Here is my example code:

On many of my PCs, it updates several times per second, roughly every 66ms. On my server, it took 88,000 ms to loop once. Screenshot attached.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 21:33
Hmm. I'd need more information then that. What do you mean by server? Is it just run on a certain computer? Is it sending packets or something? What is the server doing?

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, when I said "server", I meant the PC that is connected to my TV that I send all my movies to and watch Netflix on. It is actually my old gaming machine. It can run Diablo 3 just fine. Ignore my calling it a server as it is "just another PC".

I tested a few more applications and anything that uses your GP plugin, the timing is way off, but so far it seems that this is the only PC affected in my house.
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 21:57
Hmmm. That shouldn't be true because I use very accurate timers like are used in MatrixUtil01. If my timing plugin is off I could see what my performance timer was off.

I think I also failed to mention this: If you want 30 FPS you enter in 30 x 3 as I show here:

What exactly is off? Is it not running at a rate of 30 times per second? If so try multiplying your results by three and I'll update the help files with this information.

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
DF,

Look at my example in my first post yesterday. I set it to run the function at an interval of 30 (which I guess would be 10 FPS by your calculation). Then look at the screenshot and notice I was getting one frame every 88 seconds.
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 22:16
Two things I'm thinking:
- My Timers are off on my side
- The timers are off on your side.

You have my timers plugin?

If so use these commands instead and give me the results:

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 22:28 Edited at: 26th Aug 2012 22:28
OK, I made a test program that ran your timer code every second and printed the outcome. Here are the results on my PC and the "server" :p

Attachments

DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 22:52
Uggg that looks really bad. The only thing I can think of is that your PC is so old that you can't return a freq from the CPU therefore you get incorrect timing. I'm going to post on the help file that my timing and performance does not work on older pcs. I might write a solution for older PC's once I figure out how to get the freq of the computer.

How old is the computer? What are the specs? What operating system?

Thanks,

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 23:04 Edited at: 26th Aug 2012 23:05
@GIDustin - What? This makes it even more confusing. I should run some tests to make sure you can get the freq from an AMD Chip.

Tell me what this returns:

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
On my PC: 3.04774e+006
On other PC: -1.68937e+009
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 23:14 Edited at: 26th Aug 2012 23:14
@GIDustin -

Quote: "On other PC: -1.68937e+009"

That is why your having an issue. I'd like to see if anyone else is having that issue with an AMD chip.

I am going to make some changes to the plugin and give you the updated plugin. Hopefully what I'm thinking is all I need to do to fix it. Shoot me an email so I can send you back the plugin

@Everyone: Anyone have an AMD chip?

If so run this and let me know of the results:

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 23:21
I sent you the updates for the plugin. Let me know if they work correctly and everything. Also, let me know if the same issue exists.

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Both tests ran the same with the updated plugin. The Frequency is still negative and the "Time Get Seconds(Index)" still run at a very small fraction.

Should I try to re-run my game? It will take awhile to compile...
DigitalFury
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 23:41
Run this test again:

Let me know if seconds is correctly returned.

Also, run this example:

Edit the example so you only get it to print like 10ish times. Take one number and subtract the previous to get the amount of time it takes per loop. Make sure it matches with 1/30.

That should be enough to tell if it is all working properly.

Thanks for testing!

DigitalFury

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 23:49 Edited at: 26th Aug 2012 23:49
First test is as screenshot shows.

Second test crashed with "encountered a problem and needs to close", message below:

AppName: desolation.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.0 ModName: timing.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0000f2cf

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 09:14:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 09:14:41