Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Main ship, move or keep still?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to create a "travel in space" type game and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the following: -

Should the main ship remain at 0, 0, 0 and everything else move around it or should the main ship be allowed to move away from its origin?

I'm thinking that it should remain stationary and that it'll be easier just to keep track on all the other objects around than to have to "know" where the main ship is too.

Opinions?
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 19:37
Definately easier to make the ship move - moving one object is easier than 1,000

"The trouble with the French is that they have no word for 'entreprenuer'" - Pres. George W Bush

Mercenaries in Space demo @ http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 19:42 Edited at: 9th Nov 2003 19:43
Good point.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Dixan Anips old
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes but the other ships/objects will move too!
You don't expect the universe to stand still for you do you?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 01:02
This is what CattleRuster meant:

If you keep the main ship stationary, then each time the player moves you have to update the positions/rotations of all of the other ships in your 'universe'.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
thus if you keep it stationary then you will spend more time coding and figuring out how thise should move and that should move insteand of just letting the ship move....plus it isent that hard to make the ship move they are mostly if-then statements

http://www.freewebs.com/ingamers
load image "sp1.bmp",1
paste???? 2d games = fun....teach me
Dixan Anips
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys.

It wasn't really a "how do I" question so much as a concept question i.e. how have others done this type of thing?

I'm a newbie to DBPro (and games creation) but not to programming.

I realise that keeping the main ship static would mean transposing all other objects but they would have to move due to the general AI of things. Who wants a game that the enemy just sit and wait to be killed? What I needed to get right in my head was the trade off between having to update other objects just because the main ship orientation has changes versus dealing with the general world co-ordinates and running off the "edge" of the universe.

Anyway, sounds like the latter is the preferred route.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2003 01:12
The classic wargame solution to the edge of the universe problem is to only slide the whole map when a given edge is reached. Kind of like how roaming terrain maps work.
--
TAZ
HoverFrog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2003 19:35
I use a sky sphere and position my ship in its center and move it with the ship's movement so i never reach the edge of it.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2003 22:36
the "nice" solution (well I always liked it in games) is where the ship "floats" inside a region at the center of the screen, not fixed perfectly, but with a little "give", so that you get the feeling you are moving through the universe for example,instead of the rest of the universe revolving/moving around you, see some of the older arcade shoot-em-ups if you ain`t sure what I mean

Mentor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:31:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:31:00