Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / Drawing apps in AGK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Has anyone managed to make a drawing app using AppGameKit? I was hoping that there was some clever way to do this using the swap buffer or using the mask commands but they either don't work or are too slow to be practical. For some reason using the enable clear color command seems to work well on PC but goes a bit nuts when run under iOs.

I'm just curious if someone has found a way of doing this?

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to do a colouring book app using AppGameKit but failed miserable.

I ended up doing it in another sdk and completed the project in 2 days.
Pawprints
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I thought I'd worked out a way of doing it (which works in windows) where you draw a sprite without clearing the back buffer. Problem is on iPad everything you paste seems to go nuts and fly off to the left of the screen (like when you point a camera at a TV). I've no idea why this doesn't work in iOs and was hoping someone would know why and have a solution or a clever trick to do this.

I think all we need is Pasteimageontoimage (Source, Destination, X, Y) and then it's job done, no more headaches... Lets hope that's added sometime in the future

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Personally I got a little bit annoyed with these little quirks & perks. Things work in Windows, then don't work on iOS. There are too many little such things to make AppGameKit usable for anything either than little simple personal apps.

Also since no one knows when the next update with fixes is coming up, it's impossible to plan any projects.
sovr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 22:06
I did a drawing app way back that was used in my FIRST Robotics team to map out a plan on their ipads about the game. The thing is this was before the saveimage() getimage() and all the other commands so I couldn't save any images.

The way I did it was maybe slightly unprofessional, but I just used different color sprites (either circles or squares) that were created and placed where your finger was on the screen. The way you erased was a button that just deleted the most currently placed sprite and went deleting from that order. Of course there where other buttons for size of sprite... but with the saveimage and getimage commands you can just do what I just said and make it so you can save your work.

I did just finished an app that is sort of similar but it is with pictures then just a paint setup.

sov the game creator!
tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, what I've found out that GetImage works ultimately slow on iOS. While it takes 300 ms on desktop Win 7 to process 2048,1536 snapshot, it took over 4 seconds on the New iPad... Anyone had the same?

never give up
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
GetImage does not work on iphone3gs on ios 4.x

i don't know if its the 3gs hardware or ios 4
tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Time to show off a small teaser

never give up

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 13:59
Doing a Paint with AppGameKit and OBJ c is really easy.
I suggest you to use the CGContext, that is really fast and easy.
So you can use the CreateImageFromContext (i hope i written it well) and add directly to the UntitledViewController View.

If you wanna do a Paint using only AppGameKit, you need to do some brushes with sprites, but as i already tested, it become reeeeeeeeallllly slow after 300/400 sprites on the screen.

I used CGContext to do the graphic for the GG Basic, and it work very fast.

Long life to Steve!
tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Confirm, agk is slow with large number of sprites, but optimized it can fire up to 1500 cloned sprites without slowing down, that looks usable... I agree CGContext is a good solution but to add more objC one have to learn it hard

never give up
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 15:37
If you need a little example i can post it.
Always using my template with C++ calling the UntitledViewController that will paint CGContext over the AppGameKit Layer.

Long life to Steve!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:51:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:51:05