Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Visual C++ 6.0 tuts

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 22:11
where could I find some good Visual C++ 6.0 tutorials (as in, learning C++ while using VC++ 6.0 Enterprise)

Thanks in advance,
Mattman

btw, I did do a google search. Not helping much

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing---A new brand of Racing---Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" - Hamish
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 22:19
Is this what you had in mind?

You might have to look a bit though, like a few hyperlinks below the one you get to.

[href]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/VBRef98/html/vbmscLROverview.asp
[/href]

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 22:21
thanks for trying, but been there already. I mean, basics of C++

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing---A new brand of Racing---Only from Nightwatch Studios
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 22:33
I think, when it comes to C++, it's actually better to buy a book, or to enroll in an evening class or soemthing. I tried to learn it myself, without books, and I couldn't get anywhere. There's such a learning curve on a number of fronts, compared to other languages.

And you got to know quite a bit about all of them to start seeing any sort of progress without annoying compiler error messages. Of course, that's just me spouting my mouth off. But it's what I think. You'd benefit from peace and quiet with a book, or the comfort of strangers, when it comes to C++.

Besides, since I've given up, I can't remember any good sites for good basic tutorials. I wish I did.

Cheers,
Microman

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 22:40 Edited at: 9th Nov 2003 22:45
I have a book, and it's a bad one too

Wanna know the sad think? the book was written by Bjarne Stroustrup (for those of you who do not know, he helped create C++ )

http://ec.tmit.ac.jp/koyama/c++.html (it's the first book)

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 23:10
I have that book, and it's great ... but it's not a book for the beginner. It's for advancing your existing knowledge of C++.

There are better books to learn from, like the C++ Black Book for example.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 23:11
C++ is so varied that it really depends on what you want to do. The basics are identical to DB, just different ways of going about it (ifs, loops etc.).

Having siad that c++ has the OOP factor, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem

"The trouble with the French is that they have no word for 'entreprenuer'" - Pres. George W Bush

Mercenaries in Space demo @ http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 23:13
well, thats kinda what I meant Ian. I probably should have said something like "It is to complex for me to understand due to my little C/C++ knowledge"

I just wanna do a regualar old "hello world" proggy for christ's sake, can't even do that, lol

ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 23:29
I'd recommend taking a class (I'm doing that right now, and it comes so much easier than when I had tried to learn from books)

''For nonconformity, the world whips you with its displeasure''---Ralph Waldo Emerson
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 23:37 Edited at: 9th Nov 2003 23:37
Well, I taught myself a little bit of C++ before I started taking a course on it this year in school. Mattman, I suggest you go to Google (yes, google, best search engine!) and search for "C++ beginner tutorials". That's what I did, and I got quite a few results that I ended up bookmarking. I'd give you the links but unfortunately I had to reformat my hard disk since that time and no longer have them.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 23:54
wasn't Stroustrup the actual "creator" of C++, at least that's what I think I read somewhere. Want a good OOPL that is the "same as C++" but easier syntax-wise then try VB.NET or even C# (C++7) due to managed code and the CLR (Common Language Runtime) all the playing fields are levelled now between VB and C#/++. Best of all you can use DX9SDK for .net managed code (Pure .NET classes - no COM) Check it out!

msdn.microsoft.com - follow link to .NET Show discusses DX9SDK-Managed Code

-RUST-
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 23:54
by class, do you mean e-class?

ESC_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2003 23:58
Well, I meant a real class, but I don't really know anything about c++ e-classes...

''For nonconformity, the world whips you with its displeasure''---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 00:32
I've found that most Game programming books are written in C and often will just be about Win32 API, DirectX, Collisions & physics. Maybe they'll show you some lengthy library you'll be expected to copy, paste & tweak into any programs you'll write.

On the other hand, "text book like" C++ books don't generally take you anywhere near windows API or game programming.

"Game Programming All in One" has a great "crash course" in C++ in it which wll get you started.

However I would recommend "Teach yourself Game programming in 24hrs" by Sams publishing. I found the great thing about this book is it uses very clear C++ coding (he explains everything) to create a game library you WILL understand, that can be subclassed and re-used, and doesn't mess your head up with DirectX but uses GDI instead.

The other great plus is that in most chapters you'll have a little program you'll write to "see the results" of what you've just done, which is great for the motivation.

You will be comfortable with C++ classes, Windows and 2D game programming after this. Where you go from there is up to you, probably DirectX and writing a few games.

"My ignorance amuses me..."
http://www.victory-road.co.uk
klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 00:40
nice one sonic - i remember that 1 as well

I am obsessed by Toasters - especially talking ones...bizaare really isn't it?
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 00:42
Since Cattlerustler mentioned his favourite language, I can mention mine. Object Pascal, or otherwize nearly universally called Delphi (though that's just the IDE.) But stay away from Delphi 7 Studio. Use Delphi 6.

It's as OOPL-ish as C++, but much more reminiscent of Basic. As a matter of fact, if you know the Basic-commands you pretty much know Object Pascal as well. The benefit with Delphi is that with the 'CLX' and Kylix components that are included you can develop simultanously for Windows and Linux, so you broaden your market considerably.

The similarity to Basic is superficial though. Under the hood it's a very strongly typed and strict language, and it's nearly as fast as C++. In fact, a lot of the stuff with types (structs in C-family) comes from Pascal.

Borland gives away Delphi 6 Personal versions, so you might have a look at it.

Cheers,
Microman

-----
-----
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 23:19
Not to hard to find links these days.

http://cplus.about.com/library/blcplustut.htm

If I were you, I'd learn how to program first, and then focus on games. That's where I'm heading, and so far it's been working. As far as books, I'd recommend any of the Sam's book series(teach yourself in X hours/ X days)

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 01:48
thanks yellow, that was a good link. I finally got a basic "Hello world" proggy runnin'

Now for the hard stuff,

Rock Paper Scissors

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 02:55
I thought the Wrox Press C++ Tutorial that comes with VC++ was actually quite good. Although a bit complicated at times, it goes through everything thoroughly.

Having said that, an excellent resource for Programming Tutorials and some other applications is: http://www.free-ed.net/catalog/itcat01.asp - It basically has a bunch of free online books that you can access, there's a fairly decent one on Visual C++ as well as others on C and C++.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 03:18
Mattman,

You spend the next few years learning C++, and if that is the effort you are going to put forth I commend you! The only thing I might add is that .NET is the future and you may want to consider putting C# in your arsenal because sooner or later it's going to be the preferred development language out there. I am by no means saying don't learn C++, that would be ludicrous as it is the current premier development lang but you may want to look at C# side by side as it is practically exact to C++ in syntax, it really only differs where COM vs .NET differ

just some friendly advise - sorry to stick my nose in
Good Luck in your pursuits

-RUST-
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 04:34
Quote: "You spend the next few years learning C++, and if that is the effort you are going to put forth I commend you!"

umm, is that good?

I AM NOT going to learn C#(at least, in the next 10-15 years. but remember, in 10--15 years I will be 22-27, about when I will be getting a REAL programming job, so I mighjt need it then )
and I don't like VB. You are acting like my uncle (he went as far as to give me VB code his company uses that he should not have given to the public(aka me ) to get me to do more VB)

Anyways, umm, I am frustrated. I am trying to get classes and random numbers out of 0,1, and 2.

Grr,
Mattius

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 05:35
I think a good solution to this problem is if one of us would

GIVE HIM DA CODEZ

I wanted to learn C++ but then I started having nightmares.
I would scream at night, "AHHHHH!!! THE SEMI-COLONS"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 05:50
well I guess that's my age, and my willingness to offer advice to young up-and-comers to programming, showing thru again. Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an "Uncle" - LOL

Yes, that quote was good.

In 10-15 years who knows what the programming languages will be!

good luck in your endeavours

-RUST-
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
In 10-15 years we will have a microphone that you talk into, and all you say is "hey computer, make the game i'm thinking of" and it will be ready the instant you finish your sentence.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 14:03
...if only.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 17:12 Edited at: 11th Nov 2003 17:13
...if only, the woodpecker sighs(which book is that from?)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:29:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:29:22