Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBPro Game] Isenduil - Rouge dungeon crawler

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 00:48
Attached to this first post is a .exe of my latest creation, Isenduil. Isenduil has been 'in the making' for about 2 - 3 days of solid programming and I have finally finished a playable proportion of the game.

The version here contains several bugs and some shortcomings. The reason these haven't been stamped out yet is that I am going on holiday tommorow and I wish to show some progress on this project. The actual game will involve quests and have items and lots of other features that i do not have the time to implement right now (extra information listed below).

Onto the main topic:
Isenduil is a Rouge style game that involves completing quests and venturing into dungeons. Your character, one of many races, will have to 'Level up' in order to gain enough power to fight the stronger bosses of the game. Items and gold shall be commonplace if you complete your quests but there are other ways to gain power that maybe are not so lawful.

Game Features As Of 27/07/2012:
- Explorable Dungeons
- Monsters (Very basic AI)
- Leveling system
- Floors to the Dungeons
- Stats to effect your performance
- Basic line of sight (No wall detection)

Notable Features For The Future:
- Quests
- Different starting races
- Skills
- Items
- More monsters
- A way to win the game
- And Lots More!

I am trying to keep the game without any media and able to function in ASCII graphics only.

Comment on what you think about it and any bugs that you find and hopefully how to reproduce them. Also any improvements that could be made to the game. If you could post your FPS as well then that would be a great help (It helps me know the extent of programming i can put onto the main loop).

Controls:
Movement - Arrow Keys
Attack - Press the arrow key in the direction of the monster
Open Doors - Automatic
Space - Empty log one by one
Slash - Delete all in log

Finally, if anyone can help with better monster AI and/or better line of sight, can they post in the comments with a bit of example code detailing how it does this.

Thank you for reading (and hopefully playing) this and please post any comments of your opinions! James / littleGg6

Attachments

Login to view attachments
miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 15:07 Edited at: 28th Jul 2012 22:55
I tested it, the adom-like look is good, but something was wrong with displaying the level. (maybe it was some kind of screen size problem, but i couldnt even see where i am on the screen, though i played a lot of normal and 7 days rogue.)

No place like 127.0.0.1 .
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 10:19
i dont get it all i see is a black screen with some notes..

[URL] http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=198467&b=22 [/URL]
littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 14:33
Can anyone post a screenshot of what you see. I think I know what it is but as I'm in spain from now till 7th or 8th, I won't be able to fix it. Has anyone been able to play it yet? Or is it a widespread issue?
miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 15:54 Edited at: 30th Jul 2012 19:28
Heres a pic. I expected a "@" where I should be. but I dont see anything besides walls and doors appearing sometimes far from each other.

edit: you will find this one useful:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178579&b=6

Attachments

Login to view attachments
littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 20:58
Hmmm odd, there are several things that are wrong with this shot. Firstly, no @. Secondly, all of the stats are not beIng displayed. Once I get back I'll screenshot what it should be and probably release some code if I can't fix it. I'll work on some storyboard parts while I'm away and maybe post a part of the opening screen.
I'll think about any sort of error and will speak again tommorow if any progress has been made
James
littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 23:23
So I've just had an idea, I normally run the window in 800x600 resolution (set inside the program) and you have it maximised in that photo. That might show why the image is weird. Unfortunately, I cannot think why you can see everything but the character and the stats. I have a few questions to see if I can figure it out:
1. Is the game playable? (eg. Can you move)
2. Can you see monsters? If so can you kill them?
3. Does the vision work? It should be a bubble around the character (@) and should leave areas that you have been to as lit. (you can't see monsters in there too)
4. Does it freeze as you ascend or descend levels? Shown by the < & >.

One small thing is that I may of uploaded a failed project starter. I originally started with sloppy programming and I have re-done the code into a better form. Due to how i was rushing to get this post put i might of attached the wrong file and that then might be why people are having problems. It was very early when I re-did it and the monsters and character stats didn't exist so that might be why you can't see them... Unfortunately I cannot prove it either way without downloading the program for myself. I only have my phone out here so that isn't possible. One way to tell though is that at the start it should ask for a name prompt and then go into what your stats are. If it doesn't and goes strength into the game then I have posted the earlier version. If this is so then could someone post that it is and then I can upload the newer one in just over a week.

Thanks for helping out, James
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Also,
Rogue:

Rouge:

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
i love the 2nd Rouge screenshot. so pro looking

Advanced Updater for your games!
littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2012 18:38
Yea I noticed that just after I posted, is there any way to change the title?
miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2012 19:25
I think it may be an older version. It didnt ask for name or anything, but still think its an older build.

I was able to walk, the map changed, but in a wierd way. I was also able to open doors occasionally. Though, I never met with any monster. ( the vision works, but in a strange way )

I dont think its so urgent to fix, for now, just have a happy holiday. (...and dont forget to check the spanish gals! )

littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 13:13
I'm thinking of incorporating sergey k's advanced auto updater to help him test it out as its a great idea and would help me update you guy's when I get back. I am pretty sure now that I posted the older version. I have been browsing the forums for helpfull code and I should put some new things into the build now that help it out (eg. The auto updater). Will still have a look around but running out of threads to read
Anyways, still thinking of some story and hoping to find a way to randmize it away from the static effect that games like ADOM create after playing them many times (after a year of playing the beginning is soooo boring).

After releasing the proper build I might not post an update for a while as I will be focusing on prettying up the aplication and making functions for later use. DW, lots of updates along the way though because I don't like long 1 month pauses!

James

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:44:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:44:11