Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Vshost32.exe has stopped working

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 01:15 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2012 01:18
Hello everyone.

This is a DarkGDK.Net question. I have been making a game in .NET for awhile now. All of a sudden I've been getting crashes where it goes to a messagebox of VShost32.exe has stopped working. I tried turning of "Enable the Visual Studio hosting process", but it would say "My Game".exe has stopped working. It seems totally random and doesn't happen sometimes.

What's also weird is that I have other people working on the project with me, and none of them have had this happen, and we use Subversion, so they have the latest code. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm using DarkGDK.NET and DarkNet.

Any have any suggestions?

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 02:13 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2012 05:28
Update: I also can seem to run the program even after the error happens even if I don't end the program. Nothing seems to have broken: View attached file.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 09:22
try reinstalling the dependencies... like VS etc...

[in simple english, try a fresh install of your development environment and its dependencies]

[if possible on another system...]

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 11:51
I would try to clean the solution and rebuild everything before doing that. Sometimes it actually helps, I guess some minor part that should get updated in a subsequent compile doesn't at times - why I don't know.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 16:39
I believed I tried cleaning the project and re-compiling. I still seem to get these errors. I think it may come down to uninstalling everything, rebooting, and installing Visual Studio, DarkGDK.NET, DarkNET, readding references, etc. I really hope not

Does anybody know if I enable Debugging of unmanaged code that this may help me determine what's going on? I want to make sure what side the error is on. Mine, or something in the engine/DarkNET.

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 21:49
Update: I checked the Windows Event Log. Whenever it crashes (client or server), I get something like this:

That's using vshost.

This one isn't:

Unfortunately, those are entirely unhelpful. The fault module name is unknown and so is the exception.

I would rather not have to reinstall everything again. I just want to see if I can rule out other things before I have to.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 22:19
Can't you do a stack trace after it breaks (if you run in debug mode)?

Those errors doesn't tell me much so I'm afraid I can't say much more than that.

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 22:47
I would try to catch it and print the call stack to a log file, but that's the thing. It happens sometimes randomly, so I don't know where to catch it or even if I can catch it.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2012 23:42
With a proper debugger you don't need to, it will tell you where it fails.
But it depends, which language are you using? Maybe it doesn't have a debugger? (You can always just google for it if you're unsure).

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 00:14
I know Visual Studio has a debugger that'll capture the call stack for C#/C++, not sure about VB.NET though.

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 07:30 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2012 07:31
Lol, I know I'm using Visual Studio and C#. Anyways, I turned on unmanaged code debugging. When i start the program now (debugging), I don't get the window anymore, but I do get an error now. Here's a pic. After I press break and view the disassembly, that's what I get.

http://i50.tinypic.com/15dx3th.png

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 12:47
Ouch, that's unfortunate.
Since it speaks of an invalid handle, are you using any handles that might not have been set in your code?

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 20:00
Not that I know of. The only Windows handle that I really reference is that of the initial windows form that shows up.

Inside

I just set the form's visible property to false. Mostly because the DarkGDK component is not embedded.

Then I just close that window after the main loop exits, meaning the game has been closed:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:03:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:03:38