Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Cool idea (in my opinion)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 08:25
I don't know about all you other people, but I am extrememly into cars (as well as programming) thing about them, from american muscle to the import to low-rider trucks. As long as it's not stock and someone actually put some time and effort into their vehicle then I respect.

I just think it would be so great for someone (if not me) to create a game simply about cars, modding them, bringing your baby to the show for competetions, bring it to the drag strip, or just cruise around town in it. I have so many cool ideas for a game of this magnitude, but am pretty sure alot of people would enjoy it. I'm not sure if I can undertake a project of this magnitude, but I'm sure alot of other people would have a good idea of where to start. Here's a list of some features I think would be awesome...
-build your car from the ground up, EVERYTHING...
-bring it to the strip to test it out
-cruise town in it
-bring it to competetions
-many different types of vehicles, trucks, imports, classics.

I've just been waiting my whole "gaming life" for a game like this, and finally would like to undertake something like this, or have somebody else get interested. The whole game would have to give off a professional feel.

Thx
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 09:51
i take it you've not been around the NFS series or Gran Turismo.
GT4 even has motorbikes in it now, which will be sweet.

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
900mhz | 256mb | FX5200Ti 52.16 | Dx9 | WXP-Pro
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 10:31
wow, i think that would be amazing. I dont think anyone has pulled something like that off on dbp (that i know of).

- My online portfolio/under construction
- The Media Base/under construction
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The idea could work, but you need to do more thinking about the gameplay part. Try thinking along the lines of advertising, and you might have a game.

Pincho.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 10:52
Quote: "-build your car from the ground up, EVERYTHING...
-bring it to the strip to test it out
-cruise town in it
-bring it to competetions
-many different types of vehicles, trucks, imports, classics."

Sounds like that came straight off the back of a 'Street Rod' box. Although the SR series is about 8 years old, a group of bedroom Aussie developers are creating a Street Rod 3 at http://www.streetrod3.com.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Kharnor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 11:17
I remember Street Rod - first racing game i ever played. Man, that was cool.

Always cool, Farmboy Kharnor was seen walking around with a long string of toilet paper stuck to his foot.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 12:05
Sounds a bit like a Fast & the Furious style idea, customising and building cars, then gambling in mad street races. Sounds like a cool idea - racing games are far too linear (doh obviously), I reckon a car game where you basically get to do anything you like would be cool. Also, propper respect for your vehicle is something that has never really featured in a racing game, in your idea you'd be really pi$$ed when you crash, because it means you've got to fix it yourself!. Perhaps you could even have gangs too, like the other drivers at the races could have basic personalities and little gangs of drivers with similar personalities group up (maybe if a part on your car fails, your friends help you out).

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 14:22
I like the idea of lots of premade body models, and then attaching seperate models for alloys, skins for decals, bonnets depending on your air intakes, various body kit models and skirts, spoilers etc. You'd end up with a basic model with about 20 attached limbs for all the business, but if sheer effiency aint an issue, it's pretty easy to be honest.

.... just a whole load of media to make. Scarey stuff.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 15:33
thats exactly what robot wars game is about - u can build up a machine from scratch and then test with other competitors.
but building a racing car up from scratch sounds a good idea.
I have Gran Turismo 3 - the only thing i have done with it so far is race cars around the track.

I am obsessed by Toasters - especially talking ones...bizaare really isn't it?
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 15:41
This post and my post about music kinda inspires me to make my own racing game (for the squillionth time). I've always got hung up on trying to make super realistic physics, but I reckon I'd be wise just to simulate the rudimentary physics and get a game going. Need 3D movement though. Not gonna stick with the lame 2D environments. Gotta go all out for jumps and hills. The trouble comes when you start thinking of rotational velocity and rolling the car ... ahh well.

If I can get the engine running nicely, I'm sure I can get modellers in on the deal, and I can do the music and sound effects myself. Back to the drawing board. Btw, if I do actually do this (chances are I'll start and get bored and give up), I'll definitely implement some of your ideas porky. Customisable engines (these will just be variables anyway), skirts, spoilers, scoops, exhausts, paint jobs, etc. Although I'm thinking more offroad style ...

We'll see.

AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 20:39
[quote]i take it you've not been around the NFS series or Gran Turismo.
GT4 even has motorbikes in it now, which will be sweet.[quote]

Yes, I have heard of that game and have played it. But for me I feel that the building process was too linear. I want complete free-form. Sorta a mix of NFS:Underground, but with more building elements. I also think it would be cool to have car shows you can bring your car too and compete by looks, just like in real life. I want to focus on the builing and maintaining of the car than on pure racing. Although I would still like the mechanics of the car to pay off on the track. I would really like to capture the true spirit of the scene. Know what I'm talking about?
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 20:40
oops, the second paragraph wasn't meant to be a quote. Sorry
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 00:24
Should checkout 2Fast2Furious (the game obviously) and TrueCrime...
although TrueCrime isn't as indepth with he cars you can still do a remarkable amount with them.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 03:40
On the subject of 2fast2furious, did anyone think it was worse than the first one (the film)?

Thought it was crap. Ejector seats? Jumping raising bridges, and jumping onto boats??? Was it supposed to be a comedy? 1st one was much better I reckons.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 03:47
personally i thought they were both crap and i much prefer Gone in 60seconds

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 03:51
Wasn't motor city online something like this?

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 04:10
Yeah, 60 secs has my vote too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:29:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:29:11