Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D feedback

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 07:02 Edited at: 27th Aug 2012 07:07
Note to mods: Sorry for the inconvenience but this thread can be locked. I'm just going to make a new thread showcasing all of my recent work. not just one at a time. Thanks

Click to see original post.V

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 16:24
The blue planet looks alright, but the texture in the foreground looks horribly stretched. Why did you chose to hightmap it instead of sculpt?

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
@bobochobo
I felt that heightmapping could give me some interesting terrain elements that might not have otherwise formed. The stretched texture wasn't intended but once it was there I found that I liked the sort of "vertical strata lines" it produced. As long as the viewer doesn't KNOW that it's a stretched texture I feel that it doesn't look to bad? correct me if you dissagree.

just for fun,here is the heightmap I used:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75454566/2.png

and the render of the foreground:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75454566/wow.png

Keep the comments coming.

bobochobo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 17:37
Fair enough, if it was me I would correct it, but it's part of your artistic licence to keep it as it is if you like it.

One other think I'll point out is the sharpness of some of the bumps. I'm not exactly qualified in extraterrestrial erosion systems but, assuming that the surface is made of one rock type and that there will be fairly even erosion on each part of the surface surely all of the peaks should have a fairly similar amount of roundness. Again that's only my view and you could quite easily justify this by stating that the surface is covered in dust, hiding rock differences.

Too much realism?

All browsers should come with compulsory spell checks.

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
@bobochobo

Hmmm...I didn't even consider erosion. I kinda liked the stark , sharp rock formations but realistically that would never happen. I might do something about that. Nice catch.

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 19:07
If you blur the heightmap slightly it would help remove the sharp formations, and maybe even remove some stretching.

xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
@design runner
That sounded like a good idea but it really made it a boring scene.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75454566/untitled.png

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 06:44
I have to disagree, I think it is a much more elegant scene that is believable. Though to each his own, especially artists.

New World Order
Years of Service
User Offline
hey xilith! looking pretty sweet!

though I have to say I agree with the two main points, i.e. sharp peaks ("obvious" one-vertex tips... they always give things a slightly "noobish" feel, to be honest... not meant as an insult or anything!! just speaking my mind )... Same thing goes for texture stretching...

here's my 2 pence/cents/shillings/credits/gp:
...how about you use the blurred height map for general layout, THEN go into sculpt mode (perhaps adding a multi-res modifier for sculpting - its basically subsurf for sculpting, givving you a higher resulution mesh to play with (eg to eliminate spikes) and add in all those little details again by hand.. I know sculpt mode can be a bit of a pain to get used to, but if you use the tools Draw and Grab (draw with pressed ctrl-key to make holes/craters), you can get some pretty fun results pretty quick!

Also, not sure how you are mapping the texture to the mesh right now, but it might be worth trying to get a top down view on the terrain, and then (in ortho mode) unwrapping the terrain "from view". Then, in the uv-editor scale the resulting grid huuuuuge, so that about one tile of the grid occupies the entire image space... the other tiles wrap around, using the same image, resulting in high detail- and usually seamless textures... uh... kinda hard to explain, sorry ... If you do this, be sure to use uv-mapping as "Mapping/Coordinates" in the textures panel, too...
Hope that made sense... though I doubt it

OOOoooor you could try just slapping a subsurf modifier onto the original terrain (using the original height map) and see what that looks like!

but apart from that, i really like the setup of the scene -- could indeed turn out as a very nice wallpaper!
xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 15:19 Edited at: 12th Aug 2012 21:15
@New World Order
Will try. Are you named after the old band or just the general phrase "new world order" ?

While i'm working on those changes here is a Plesiosaurus render I just made:
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/223/9/5/95bde0a8a21b15cd9bb26dc9efec1c71-d5aouwg.png

Let me know what you think.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2012 19:36
Quote: "That sounded like a good idea but it really made it a boring scene.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75454566/untitled.png"

I think it's much better, and looks more "realistic" to my eyes

Whose eyes are those eyes?
xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm. I think i'v found a happy medium. It's still craggy but not as stretched or lacking in polys on points. I'll post in a few days

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:58:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:58:08