Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What modelling package do u use?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 15:42
i was wondering what modelling packages other people use when modelling their own characters/cars etc.. for games
i am learning to use maya unlimited 4.5 at the moment as i got given a copy as an early xmas pressie.
i have heard that 3d studio max is good and version 6 has just come out.
and then there is gmax 1.2 which is free to download - but i couldn't cope with the restrictions (and there are many i found out) but what do u expect from a freebie - still pretty good tho' if you hve nothing else at all.
so what modelling packages do u use out of interest?

I am obsessed by Toasters - especially talking ones...bizaare really isn't it?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 15:47 Edited at: 10th Nov 2003 16:03
That's hell of a Christmas present as it costs around $2000.

I'd love to ask the question - which modelling packages do you use and legally own? (actually, don't answer that.. we don't need another piracy thread).

"It's easy to be mean when death equals a high score screen."
"You can take your Quake and go away, I'd rather play Bubble Bobble any day."
klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:02 Edited at: 10th Nov 2003 16:25
actually i do own maya unlimited 4.5 - and it is not prirated copy
would i really say on these forums that i got a copy of maya unlimited 4.5 if it was pirated? i don't think so. ( i am not being crappy here to u btw - i am just stating a point that i don't like being confused with pirate ppl )
and this is not another one of those pirated threads.
it is just a question i am asking.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:12 Edited at: 10th Nov 2003 16:12
err...That's a bit of a dumb question,no harm meant by that but...Really if you've got Maya 4.5,and the Unlimited version on top of that,you shouldn't be asking that kind of question but as you are I'll give you my opinion.

Stick with Maya Unlimited,if you find it hard,well maybe the FREE PLE version is more up your sleeve,come with a fully documented help reference and Beginner's UI and basic modeling tutorials.Judging from the thread's subject,you need more practice time before jumping into the gamedev train so it wouldn't harm to give this one a go..(note that there is a humongous watermark in Mple)

That aside,mister Blacksheep(myself) also uses Softimage Xsi(exp version=FREE).

As I live in quebec city,it was rather easy for me to get my hands on the EXP CD(XSI HQ's are closeby) but you can also download it from softimage.com

...And I'm gone...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:13
Rhino3D, probably the least used modelling package on the forums, but I love it - it's the only package that can be technical and precise without being confusing. It's a NURBS based modeller, NURBS is to polygon modelling what clay is to oragami. I use it for low poly modelling regardless of the fact that it's not designed for that. It's the GUI that does it for me.

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:17 Edited at: 10th Nov 2003 16:20
i`v seen a limited free copy of maya befor.

what i ues for modeling is Anim8or it is ok but its can`t do animation in any format darkbasic can ues

when the texture maping is do on deled i`l be uesing thet to do levels.

--Dr 0--
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:19
Milkshape, half the people here use it, even those who have high end software.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:21 Edited at: 10th Nov 2003 16:24
"That's hell of a Christmas present as it costs around $2000."

yeh i know it is a hell of a xmas pressie. and i am very very very lucky. its a piece of solid gold to me.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:24
I'll swap your copy of Maya for my special talking toaster?

Van-B

I laugh in the face of fate!
klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:26
LOL now not even Talking Toasters (even limited/special editions) will make me part with t his beauty - sorry

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:28
...With a Burning pop-Tart in it?

Seriously,keep using Maya or checkout gamespace,this one seems to be a good app for serious game development and more.

I also frenetically use Wings3D which is the easiest software to use.(not to confuse with easiest to 'Learn')

...And I'm gone...
klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 16:57
lol - not even with a burning pop tart in it. have u tried pop tarts? personally - i think they were the worst things invented!

weirdly enuff i have tried out a number of other modelling packages - 3D studio max (demo version), gmax 1.2 etc... and i found that i was well at home with Maya - got on it like a house on fire - which is excellent - considering there are alot of packages of various things that i don't get on with at all! (front page express - classic example and lotus suite - sorry all u lotus users but i prefer office 2000 pro)
so i am gonna take ur advice and keep on using it.
I am in middle of planning my first 3D adventure game - Pirates of Toastie Land. i am going to be making a demo of it first so other ppl can test it out along with me to see what they think.
I am not going to aim for it to be sold in the shops or anything as i know thats a long long way off.
i just want to have some fun with maya and dark basic.
and seeing my idea of a game online gives me a sense of achievement.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 17:12 Edited at: 10th Nov 2003 17:13
hehe I believe there aren't enough silly humorous games like zombie ate my neighbours or DOT.

It's always nice to see people taking this approach as well,FUN first!

later

...And I'm gone...
Akira Tsunami
Years of Service
User Offline
I Legally Own 3DS Max 5.1,3D Canvas 6.0 Pro,And Milkshape.
Even though i own 3DS Max,I still use 3D Canvas quite alot for
simple things.
- Cheers

Lead Programer & Project Leader Of TsunamiSoft
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 20:04
Maya 4.5 Unlimited... sweet you have sitting on your desk £3,400 worth of software. ($6,999)
Treasure it, cause in my opinion Maya is the best software there is for 3D.

Currently what i use is
3D Studio Max (4/5/6) for work, infact have it open right now with an ugly skeleton face grinning back at me.
Maya (2/3/4/5) for home use, although i've recently blow out alot of ram and need to get it replaces asap so i can use it again.
Softimage|XSI 3.0/3.5 i've used this because i've had Richard from Avid actually ask me to try it when i met up with him to checkout the benifits when i was working for someone else, i got a free copy so i'm still sitting there learning it's quirks ^_^
Houdini 5, well i have it but not used it for god knows howlong... personally i completely hate it, with a vengence!
Lightwave (1/4/5/7), i'm not a huge fan of Lightwave - its good to be there incase i need it, especially as really its a bargin bin price for such software. But hopefully i'll never need to use it on a professional scale
trueSpace (1-6.x), i have all of them, i love all of them ... but it isn't really for games development. Although i tried to use 2.0 Pro as my package for DB when it first came out because i couldn't afford anything else and i had no exp in Max at the time, it was alot of fun. And i actually interestingly was able to expoter alot of nice work from it. Wouldn't even rate it against stuff i've done in maya but still not bad
Milkshape3D (0.9.x-1.7.x & b2.0), a fine little package that costs less than a computer game and in its current state is very similar to use as a dubbed down Max. It certainly allows for a more hands on experience.
JTEdit 0.x, good new product. the UI is a bitch tetchy and its still only a beta but aprt from that you can actually make some good stuff with it.
Wings3D, a poor man's Maya... really thats all i have to say about it.

To Survive You Must Evolve... This Time Van Will Not Escape His Fate!
900mhz | 256mb | FX5200Ti 52.16 | Dx9 | WXP-Pro
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 20:21
Don't you mean Wings3D is a poor man's Mirai whilst a poor man's Maya would rather be Aztec?

http://aztec.sourceforge.net/aztec.php

...And I'm gone...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 21:19
The only one I can use (mainly as I'm not a graphic artist) is Cinema4D XL7

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I use Anim8or because I can't be bothered to learn another modeller. So I'm going to wait a couple of years for the Animation Export!

Pincho.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 22:03
anoter vote for anim8or!
although i just tried wings3d and its actually quite good once you get the hang of it.

Go on, click on my signature image, you know you want to
Favourite smiley>>>
klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2003 22:20 Edited at: 10th Nov 2003 22:27
cool - i also have milkshape (dunno what version) but i have never used it.
*kisses Maya sitting on her desktop* i am gonna look after this piece of lovelyness no doubt about it - i have been hearing lots of great things about it.

how much Ram have u got Raven? i have boderline 512MB - but i am looking to upgrade for more higher Ram or get my cpu chip and maybe the motherboard changed over to something a bit faster. at the mo i am running a Athlon, 800 mhz. which is ticking over nicely - but i am finding now it is lagging a little (not much) when i am using Maya. and the thing with me is i love speed - instant access to everything with no waiting.
thats why i got broadband the instant i could afford it - i was ripping out my hair with them poxy phone line connections that cut u off every 2 damn hours. lol
plus i used to dawdle along with 128 MB of Ram - i mean urgh! slow! slow! slow! (well it is to me! lol)

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 00:14
Remember use Milkshape since like '97, i never really got used to howto use it ... infact i hated it for close to 2years because there was no help and no one wanted to tell me how it worked.

Without help i never realised about the Vertex & Face buttons had to be used in combination so i missed out on effectly, howto use Milkshape for 2years lol
wasn't until i ended up talking to the creator purely by chance through a mate and we got to talking about it and he told me a few things about the program and i learnt howto use it a bit better, that i actually began to like it.

Tad basic for my likes, but hey no worries when you need something simple

right now, in the machine i use for everyday things - i have 256mb, it gets me by ... Maya bitches everytime i open it, but runs at a fair old speed provided i turn down the undo levels to around 10.
alot of people prefer to use thier Muscle machines for everything, so the faster the better. Yet i dunno i kind get an affinity for a certain machine.

The one i currently use regularly is a Duron800mhz/256mb/FX5200/WXP-Pro (whats in my sig)... however i do have 4 other machines all quite beefy.
Reason i use really the slowest is cause, development wise you know what the customers system will react like if it is a low-end thing. And the machine is something i've built and improved over the years, infact it is the only machine i currently own that i still hand build and upgrade myself.

although it doesn't look much like the original XT 8086 it originally was, infact i don't think it has any of the original components anymore lol ... point is it's something i've put together, not a store. Just that personal touch that makes it mine, ya know?

klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 02:43
i know exactly what u mean Raven
happen to be one of these ppl who did buy a ready built machine form time pooters and then realised it was the biggest junk heap known to man kind lol
i had to re format the sys within 2 days of having it delivered to me cause it kept crippling on me every 2 mins.
mind me and win 98 se home edition never saw eye 2 eye ever - cause i always managed to break the damn thing lol. i ended up upgrading to win 2000 pro and things went much much smoother from there on. *kisses her win 2000 pro* i dont like this XP home edition business thats about now - but the XP pro sounds nice.
i think the only original components left since recieving this pooter 4 yrs ago is the monitor, the mother board (with the sound built into it i discovered) and thats it lol.
the scanner, printer, graphics card, usb hubs have all been upgraded and the Ram. and the cdrw/dvdrw (originally i had a crappy cdrw and a dvd player - but the cdrw refused to write after 6 months use) and i threw out the stupid 56k modem and replaced that with broadband 600k.
so yep i know what a personal touch can do lol

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 03:55
well i'm using XP Pro, cause personally i like the more colourful graphics
that's about the only reason too.
ya know i think it's superstition or something, cause i've notice most artists tend to have a 'something' that no matter how much expensive and ultimate hardware and materials they get, they always fall back on and use the most

maybe we're all just loonies ^_^

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 04:06
"...those who have high end software"

I dont think you will find many here who invested $1000-$3000 in 3d software and then decided to use an inferior free package.

I use Max 5. Lightwave is on my list of things to learn/buy but I woudl rather spend my money on hardware at the moment.

@raven
Win98 was great but it doesnt support having a 1gb of ram or more. Kind of sucks

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 04:07
I'm the same with music. Cubase installed, Logic installed, and I use a freeware beta tool made by one man called Skale. Bring it on!!!

Milkshape btw. Used Canvas and Anim8tor too, but Milky is the only one that seems to do the job reliably.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 05:23 Edited at: 11th Nov 2003 05:49
I don't suppose any of you have heard of a free one called BLENDER.

No, I don't use it (YET), but I downloaded it recently. I wish I knew how to use it, but I'd like other people's opinions about it. It looks very difficult to use, but it also looks like it packs quite a punch.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
@ VAN-B

A friend of mine, who is also into DB, has Rhino. He is still learning, but has come up with some rather cool results. I kinda wish I owned Rhino myself, but I'm a poor freak.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 06:23
Milkshape

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 08:34
' infact have it open right now with an ugly skeleton face grinning back at me.'

RAM to burn

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 14:09
-Milkshape, half the people here use it, even those who have high end software

...and who would this profane newbie be?

Aztech is much,much better,after all,it IS the evolution of our old and bleoved Quake2Modeler,which initiated so many people into gamedev.

Of course,if you pay 30$ for milkshape,you gotta make sure you don't want to make any renders(hidden line unavailable) or special effects.

Blender is the BEST free renderer/animator there is,period.

It supports advanced lighting which most people think is inexistant in free softwares.

Then,if you model in Wings3D,there is a Global Illumination renderer called Yafray(stands for YetAnotherFreeRaytracer) which is your best option if you don't want to spend 1300$ on Brazil or a PR Renderman compliant renderer to have access to GI raytraced reflections,shadows....

If you want a solid rock animator,there's a fwew professional products that are dedicated to it,just like wings3D is dedicated to modeling/uvmapping.

Messiah:Comes in two versions,Animate%Render,I have yet to try it but professionals swear by it.

Kaydara's Motionbuilder:This is the official animator Sony studios uses,many people claim it as a ultimate animation weapon,I personally feel more attracted towards messiah but I haven't tried any of them so far...Right now,I'm getting a hang of the Blender UI.

POV-Ray is the most mature open-source rendering software out there,you will find it's scripting language quite similar to VB and regular basic.If like to code 3D and make nice renders,you got the tool.

...And I'm gone...
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 14:13 Edited at: 11th Nov 2003 14:13
Northern fist,or fist of the north star ,checkout these Rhino models,I think Van already saw them tho.

http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=676#5291

...And I'm gone...
MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 14:32 Edited at: 11th Nov 2003 14:34
I use combination of Milkshape / Carrara 3 / Amapi 5.15w (though I'm not a GFX artist, you can do incredible simple stuff with Carrara 3. Also, exporters of Milkshape are handy).
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 14:34
I also use Doga L3...

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 17:20
If you've got the big budget,nothing stops you to also buy the most recommendable software used in dreamcast,n64 and PS gamedev and high end creation(LOTR1,2,3 with Rman) called Mirai(see a few post above),which is the inspiration behind Wings3D.

http://www.gamasutra.com/newswire/bit_blasts/20000201/index1.htm

You gonna have to blast 6450,00$ though.

...And I'm gone...
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 00:44
I use Wings3D

Quote: "Wings3D, a poor man's Maya... really thats all i have to say about it.
"

Is that a bad thing?

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 00:49
froggerman explaint to me why Win98 is great?
- firstly it hardly supports the faster systems
- it doesn't support HotPort USB
- it doesn't even 100% support USB Devices
- it's networking abilities are useless at best and you need to understand what your doing in order to hookup more than one system
- it uses the far slower FAT32 format
- it's memory footprint is just as large as WinXP's (which is wrong considering the much smaller amount of software it runs)
- First Edition or Second Edition, i've never had up and running for more than 30minutes at a time
- It's use of VxD system pure makes it very unstable within 32bit or greater operations, infact most operations over 32bit will crash 98 instantly
- It's slower than Millennium Edition & 2000
- It's useage of DirectX8.1 & 9.0 are hardly what i'd class as compatible or stable no matter the setup

Not to mention the older windows graphics look plain and very very uninspired, especially on higher resolutions where they get so tiney that your can barely see them.

You ever used Win98 @ 1600x1200? It hurts the eyes after a while because it is just far too harsh.
Desktop Accelleration on all video cards is less meaning that refresh rates are oftenly too low, which can cause alot of problems with the eyes and causing possible headaches from mild to migrane.

Oh and lets not forget that Win98 isn't capable of running SoftimageXSI, Houdini nor Maya - you require a Windows NT Operating System.

Quote: "If you've got the big budget,nothing stops you to also buy the most recommendable software used in dreamcast,n64 and PS gamedev and high end creation(LOTR1,2,3 with Rman) called Mirai(see a few post above),which is the inspiration behind Wings3D."

Lord of the Rings 1,2 & 3 were created in SoftimageXSI 3.0 w/Pixar's Renderman and Artman software, along with a number of other films suchas Harry Potter and alike.

as for Messiah formally Arnold, It comes in 3 flavours, Animator/Renderer/PostProducer

Blender is by far one of the worst software i've seen for everything, and it isnt even intended as a modeller it is an inclusive package for creating Games ... it is only since the company that made it went bankrupt that it became LGPL

... i swear there is so much more of your posts Act that i could ripp to shreds but right now i neither have the time nor patience. Just several posts of hype and hear'say.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 00:52
nope NWC it ain't a bad thing... it just isn't exactly a remarkable peice of software.

Aztec3D is the poormans XSI
Milkshape is the poormans Max
Wings3D is the poormans Maya

doesn't make them bad, doesn't make them good ... they just are alternatives for those who can't afford the full thing.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"Milkshape is the poormans Max"

if anything, anim8or is the poor man's max.. and wings is a poor man's nendo. after all it's a nendo clone

"they just are alternatives for those who can't afford the full thing"

that's a big problem. there are 2 kinds of modellers -- free and really cheap ones that don't do a whole lot, and stupidly expensive ones that do more than you could ever hope for. there is *nothing* in between. some of us can't afford the $3000 for a modelling prog.. that's more than my computer costs and as much as i make in a year!! but i want.. no, need something more than milkshape.

which is why i'd really like to see "light" versions of some modellers. you see all thse companies bitching about piracy of their $4000 modellers and they never seem to realize that there is a big and ever-growing market of people out there who have NO OTHER WAY TO GET IT THAN BY PIRACY! if they made a $200 version of their modelling prog, and made it upgradeable (with plugins you buy and whatnot), THAT would be the s*hit.

stop looking at me!
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Raven

I've been rather open-minded about Blender lately. I really just started learning the ropes, but it seems to have alot of potential.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but I'd like some viable reasons for why Blender is so crappy. It even renders your stuff - take that Milkshape.
Have you actually tried to use Blender?
I am just weighing facts, and making decisions on how my future hours will be spent...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 02:23
i used Blender for a while before DB was out, also tried it again when they company went under ... unless there is an online altered version past 2.2 which has been hyped for Modelling use, i'll stand by my original statment.

and though Wings3D started out based on nendo, personally i can't see the similarities ... not even a little bit.
Same goes for Anim8tor.

I'm not baseing them on features, but actual modeling methods you use in these programs. Feature wise, then sure the list would be different ... but in the way you model in them, quite frankly i also see Nendo and Anim8tor as complete wastes of time.

people might disagree but they're completely pointless in my opinion.

Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Raven

Yeah, it appears that Blender has gone up to 2.28 or something like that.

If you want another reference check out this thread that also has a link to the official Blender website...
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=17610&b=3

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 06:11
Milkshape2 is due out sooner or later, it's said to match Max yet still be afordable to hobbiests.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 07:42
oh wow, i download the new version and i must say...
yup it's as useless and pointless as i remember.

sorry i don't see it as a modelling package even slightly, i'm sure some of you boys think there is some worth in it - but its a games creator with builtin editors, nothing more nothing less.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 14:00 Edited at: 12th Nov 2003 14:58
Raven: Oh yeah,I 'heard say' BAY RAITT(WETA TEAM leader FOR LOTR) the following;

I articulated the cave trolls face and I used MIRAI for it. Even that face in the press release was shaped in MIRAI before it was sent it into the rest of the pipe (Maya, PRman, etc).

Makers of Mirai.

http://www.izware.com

Weird how they display ROTK images isn't it?

So what now,the creator of Gollum himself doesn't know what software he uses,get out.

The whole thread.

http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=235

'2003 3D Festival'

During an entire day Jason Schleifer, Matt Aitken and Bay Raitt showed what it took to bring Gollum to life and how they achived the impressive effects like the crowds.
Gollum was modeled in Mirai by Bay Raitt and he developed a great character system that made it very fast for animators to give Gollum that strong facial expressions. They used two different characters as one was Gollum and the other Smeagol. Bay's job was also the help the animators so that they understand that brilliant system to get the desired expressions. It was based on sliders that let you achieve many different facial expressions depending on their combination and their weight.
A funny moment came at the end of the presentation when a young person asked where you could download that animation plugin...

Anxiously awaiting for raven to finally admit he's wrong for once.

...And I'm gone...
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 14:01
BTW:Blender is at Version 2.3 with a new interface for those that couldn't stand the old one

...And I'm gone...
klariza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 15:24
@ Raven
that list that Frogger gave you - everything he says about win 98 se especially as i hand experience with this is completely right.
i have crashed win 98 se more times than you lot have had baths ansd dinners combined lol and back then - i thought it was something to with my Ram and computer itself - but then i learnt better.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 16:19 Edited at: 12th Nov 2003 16:20
More info on the making...
Raitt explains, "Gollum's head began as a cube on my screen. Using scan data I got from the [Weta] Workshop, and working back and forth with the animators and Randy Cook and Peter Jackson, I modeled his face, laid out the UV's [texture setup], and then delivered that puppet to the animators so they could get their shots done and out the door."

Raitt explains, "Jamie would do a bunch of sculptures, and we would talk about them, and I would suggest things that might not move very well. Back and forth, we would work. I would grab a sculpture off his desk, drag it back into our building...The guys in the modeling department would scan it, so we could have rough data for it...Then I would build a digital model of Gollum's face from a cube, and try to line it up to the scan as best as I could. Jamie would come and sit at my desk, and we would pull the model around, see how it moved, see what it looked like with the brows up, and when it was smiling. As we tested the design, Jamie would see, and say, 'Oh, we need to change this, and this.' Then he would run back to his desk, and sculpt the changes in clay. Back and forth, back and forth, until eventually Peter approved it."

http://mag.awn.com/index.php3?ltype...1650&page=1

in the article bay raitt mentions mirai as his tool for digital sculpting

...And I'm gone...
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 16:52
Quote: "and though Wings3D started out based on nendo, personally i can't see the similarities ... not even a little bit."

One question,did you try to use Wings3D with your eyes closed?

Nendo Interface:

http://jcosmos.free.fr/joimages/nendo.jpg

Wings3D's UI:

http://www.byjason.com/w3d/ch-02/interface.htm

and finally Mirai's:

http://maxrovat.sns.hu/subdiv/bay_free_wire.jpg

...And I'm gone...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 21:28
Act unless you heard that straight from the developers lips, then i'm not going to believe it.
I've heard so much BS from over 100 different companies trying to claim credit for everything within LOTR, simply because i has some of the best used Visuals ... and honestly I find almost all of them a complete and total load of bollocks.

I KNOW that SoftimageXSI was used for most if not all of the digital animation and modelling within that Movie, as i've had the chance to see it first had at the European Avid office within London.
I've also heard and been shown proof that something called 'shake' was also used ... although i've yet to use this, no doubt with what i'm currently doing will soon.

and Act... you don't even model the same way, it's one thing to have a similar interface and actually NO i don't see the similarities - you show the UI, and it has 4 buttons at the top. BUT THEY DON'T DO THE SAME THING as Nendo.

and personally, alot of it - i just don't believe one bit.
Hell i know first hand how a company will sit there and ask you with a cheque to claim you used thier product...
Both myself and Francais Picone were both approached by Avid - you come away with enough cash for a pool, they have someone making awesome artworking signing thier products name to it.
they get one hell of alot of business from it.

"everyone wants what the professionals use." - that is what i was told by Jannet Dotsu who leads up the PR at Avid London.

and besides, right now ... there are a few people on this site who has my respect artwise, and currently your not one of them Act.
had a few eye opening days of some of the so-called talented people around here.

i sevearly dislike people with a search engine and far too much time on thier hands.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 21:40 Edited at: 12th Nov 2003 21:41
-Act unless you heard that straight from the developers lips, then i'm not going to believe it

Bay Raitt sculpted GOLLUM IN MIRAI,

ASK HIM AND PROVE ME WRONG(if not,then you know what to do with your cake hole);

http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/index.php

...And I'm gone...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 18:44:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 18:44:03