Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / Problem with autoresize screen iPad.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 12:21
Hi all,

I have a problem with running the game on the iPad. On the Windows screen resolution is set correctly, but the iPad game is initially set significantly larger than the screen.
But after rotating iPad screen image becomes the right, but only shifted pressed areas buttons on the screen.

Please help solve the problem.

My init code:

agk::SetOrientationAllowed ( 0, 0, 1, 1 );
// agk::SetScissor ( 0.0f, 0.0f, 1024.0f, 768.0f );
agk::SetVirtualResolution ( 1024, 768 );
agk::SetResolutionMode (1);
// agk::UpdateDeviceSize ( 1024, 768 );
agk::Sync ();
agk::SetSyncRate ( 60, 0 );

Life is our game, playing we live!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 15:59
I believe that SetResolutionMode(1) is meant to set the device to high resolution mode. If you are using the dimensions you show, then you do not want to use SetResolutionMode(1). That might be what is confusing the device.

Since you are sticking with strictly landscape orientation, try adding 'agk:rientationChanged(3)' (or 4) to force the app to go to landscape without waiting for the device to rotate.

Have you set the supported device orientations for both iPhone/iPod and iPad in the Summary for the Target in Xcode?

Also, are you should probably update your UntitledViewController.m file as I've noted elsewhere so that the AppGameKit orientation modes work correctly (the landscape modes are flipped, this has been reported):

Lastly, you can fool the user a bit by making the Default.png and Default-Portrait.png files simply your Default-Landscape.png rotated so that the app looks like it is in landscape even when it isn't.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2012 19:32
Init landscape orientation - correct.
I am set the supported device landscape orientations for both iPhone/iPod and iPad in the Summary for the Target in Xcode. Delete line: SetResolutionMode(1) in my code and in UntitledViewController.m

I added the code as you suggest, but the picture is now shrink from the top and bottom of the vertical. It has become less vertically in 2 times.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 15:27
Quote: "Delete line: SetResolutionMode(1) in my code and in UntitledViewController.m"

I just saw that command in UntitledViewController.m. I guess the command was meant to be executed and probably wasn't the problem. It sounds like my suggestion to remove that command wasn't right.

Quote: "It has become less vertically in 2 times."

Do you mean that it becomes half the size?

This might be a dumb question, but what are the dimensions of your Default.png files?

My experience with the iPad is that it assumes a particular set of dimensions when the app starts (and I haven't found any way to change that) and then will adjust as instructed in the program, after it has loaded.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 18:07
Quote: "This might be a dumb question, but what are the dimensions of your Default.png files?"

Default.png - 480 x 320
Default-Portrait.png - 1004 x 768

Quote: "Do you mean that it becomes half the size?"

Image is compressed vertically by 2 times, but the horizontal is normal.

I'm testing the game on iPad 2.

I would add that: the image fills the screen, but does not stretch under set the screen resolution. Only visible part of the image 800 x 600.
Picture is displayed starting from the bottom left corner of the screen.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2012 19:34
I am assuming you are showing height x width, since the first number is greater than the second.

First, the ratio for the two Default images is different. And I believe that the iPad will use the explicit Default-Portrait.png over the Default.png when it is available.

The Default.png size looks like for a iPhone/iPod Touch low resolution.

If you want to be using the higher resolution image for iPad 3, the size is 2048 x 1536.

iPad 2 uses a resolution of 1024 x 768, which is fine.

Making image files sized for high res iPad 3 means that you will take up much more on the device and the app download and startup will take longer. For most games, you do not need that kind of resolution.

If you are targeting the iPhone (iPod Touch), the high resolution is 960 x 640. That is what I am working with. It sizes fine on an iPad, with discrete black bars above and below.

If your Default files are in fact in landscape orientation, with the width bigger than the height, than that explains your initial problem.

Before I was able to get the app to always go straight to the landscape mode, and the device was in portrait orientation, it squished the game so that it all fit. And looked funny.

When I meant that your Default(-Portrait).png files should be the rotated version of the Default-Landscape.png file, I meant that you should use some app to load the landscape one and flip it 90 degrees and save it as the Default(-Portrait).png files. The iPad/iPod will not automatically change orientation to best fit the image, it will shrink the image instead.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 00:11
Hello everyone,

I have the same kind of problem (agk 1076/ios/ipad) :

The orientation is ok (landscape) but the display is shrinked by 2 vertically and centered...

agk::SetOrientationAllowed (0,0,1,1);
agk::SetVirtualResolution(480,320);

Perhaps the iphone resolution on ipad, but it's ok (1024 for width on display) ?

Any hint please ?..

Alain
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 01:03
@Alain91, Check my first response to Commander, the second post in this thread.

Ignore the first paragraph.

Are you seeing the same problem with images when the device is in landscape orientation or only when you start up? And if it is on start up, if you hold your device in landscape before you open your app, is it still not right?

Also, are you sure your images are actually all Landscape, except for the Default.png and the Default-Portrait.png.

I use a landscape resolution of 960x640 (hi-res iPhone) and it displays just fine on iPad (2 and 3).

480x320 might look a bit blocky on an iPad, but it depends on what the images actually look like.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 10:23
Hi,

Yes, all images are actually in Landscape.

I seeing the same problem with images when I start up and hold device in landscape or portrait position. Then when I rotate the device around its axis, the image is correct.

Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 10:36
Hi, Lady

I tried to run the game SpaceShooter example AppGameKit SDK. With this game the exact same problem. I have a licensed version of the AppGameKit SDK 1076.

Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 12:54
Thanks for your Help Ancient Lady !

In fact the graphics size are ok in portrait mode, but when I switch to landscape, the ipad resize only the width of the game..
The height remain the same.. :/

Alain
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 19:24
@Alain91, the 480x320 resolution on an iPad will leave black bars above and below the app. This is because the ratio of height to width is different between the iPad and the iPhone.

To everyone, have you tried the app using the iPhone and iPad simulators in Xcode? If you have and it doesn't automatically rotate to landscape, then you don't have things set up correctly.

For iOS app startup you need a Default.png, at a minimum. It is an image that actually must have height greater than width. That doesn't mean it needs to look like it is in portrait when in portrait orientation. As I've said, use some image software to take your landscape image and rotate it 90% and save it as Default.png and Default-Portrait.png. Your landscape startup image should be Default-Landscape.png.

That takes care of the initial image display that the app does. Then you make sure that the Xcode is set to only allow the two landscape modes and add 'agk:rientationChanged(3)' (or 4) right after the 'agk::SetOrientationAllowed(0,0,1,1)' command. And make sure that you switch the 3 and 4 in the 'agk::CanOrientationChange' commands in the shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation function in UntitledViewController.m. My code snippet in the second post of this thread wasn't an addition to the file, it was a change in the function.

AGK and iOS have different understandings about what the two landscape orientations are.

As for the Spaceshooter app, all of the projects in the Projects/Native/Windows_VS2010 are out of sync with the current AppGameKit version. So it doesn't surprise me that it has an issue.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 20:21
I did as you said, now the Default-Landscape.png displayed correctly. But my game is also compressed from above and below the center. Width is correct. And all the sprites are shifted to the left bottom corner.

Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 20:39
Got exactly the same problem..

In portrait mode, the game is OK. Of course, there are black borders on the upper and lower sides, but the ratio/aspect is ok.

At first sight, I think the portrait upper and lower black borders are a part of the game display..? So the ipad want to show them in landscape mode ?

Sorry for my engrish

Thanks for any help

Alain
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 21:34
Commandor, are you still setting your virtual resolution to 1024x768 and are you images the same size? (I know, dumb question, but I want to be sure).

Alain91, the black borders are not part of the game. They only appear when your app has a different height/width ratio than the device you are playing on. Is your game meant to be played in portrait or landscape specifically? Or does it not care? Your code snippet indicates that you want a landscape orientation.

My app is 960x640 and there are black bars above/below on my iPad and to the left/right on two of my Android devices (the third has almost exactly the same ratio as the iPod Touch).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2012 22:29 Edited at: 25th Aug 2012 23:54
First thanks a lot for helping us Ancient Lady !

My app is designed for landscape only (480x320) and I would like it to play on ipad and iphone.

If I test the app with iphone settings, I have the same problem (up and down borders). This problem is into simulator and real ipad.

In the game, I have several buttons to play the game; they seem at the right place, so only the drawing is affected I think..

I don't know what to test to make a good diagnostic..

Alain
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 00:53
Can you post an image of what it looks like when you play the game?

You are guaranteed to have black borders above and below in landscape on an iPad when you use a resolution native to the iPhone.

The iPhone has a width to height ratio of 1 1/2 (when in landscape mode).

The iPad has a ratio of 1 1/3. So when it displays the app so that then required width works, it has left over space.

If your only issue is the black bar above/below when in landscape mode, then you have no issue. It is not something that is a defect or that can be changed, unless you change your virtual resolution and images to have the same width to height ratio as the iPad.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 10:44
Quote: "Commandor, are you still setting your virtual resolution to 1024x768 and are you images the same size? (I know, dumb question, but I want to be sure)."

Yes, I setting virtual resolution to 1024x768 and all image for background is 1024x768. But images for sprites have different size.

Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 10:56
Quote: "If your only issue is the black bar above/below when in landscape mode, then you have no issue."

But why after I rotate the iPad then everything is working fine?

Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 11:22 Edited at: 24th Sep 2012 21:24
After I made the changes as you said (in UntitledViewController.m) now after rotating device game is also compressed from above and below.

I've created screenshots of the screen:

Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 11:46
This is my problem too..

I don't understand why the screen is ok in width but squished on height ?
Why does the system do only half the job ?

We would have a good aspect ratio then ?...

Alain
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 17:35
Are you both sure that the actual dimensions of your images are the same as the virtual resolution you are specifying in your code?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2012 22:11
One thing I just (re)discovered is that you need to update the DEVICE_WIDTH and DEVICE_HEIGHT constants in Core.m to make sure they reflect what you use in your SetVirtualResolution command.

That might be the entire problem right there if those constants don't reflect the right values.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 00:21
Ancient Lady,

I changed them, but nothing more.. By the way I didn't found any code using these constants (?)..

When you write :
'Are you both sure that the actual dimensions of your images are the same as the virtual resolution you are specifying in your code?'

I don't understand ? I have several images, like sprite atlas bigger than 480x320, etc..

Could you explain ?

Regards,
Alain
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 04:54
Those constants get used in code that you don't usually look at, deep inside AGK. They need to be consistent with your SetVirtualResolution command or your display will not appear the way you expect.

The ones I mean are the main display images, like the Default(x).png and anything that is used as the main background. A sprite atlas should not be an issue as long as it is set up correctly.

If you specify a display resolution of 480x320 and then use an image like 580x320, it will be stretched to fit width wise and then squished height wise.

If you try to display a sprite that has dimensions bigger than the ones you select, in iOS, they will be squished to fit the designated display. In Windows, they will just overflow and not be visible. In all the other platforms, they get squished to fit.

I need to create a simple sample of this and post it as a bug. There should be consistent behavior on this across platforms.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 11:48 Edited at: 27th Aug 2012 12:07
Quote: "Are you both sure that the actual dimensions of your images are the same as the virtual resolution you are specifying in your code?"

Yes, I did a test with one image 1024x768 as you suggested. The same effect.

Quote: "One thing I just (re)discovered is that you need to update the DEVICE_WIDTH and DEVICE_HEIGHT constants in Core.m to make sure they reflect what you use in your SetVirtualResolution command."

I did it with the right. It does not work. The same effect.

Please testing your own game SpaceShooter from AppGameKit SDK for iPad 2 in landscape mode. This game also is not working correct.

I tested the game on different devices - AppGameKit works with the bug: image compress top and bottom.

I sent your the programmer a simple example of the code. He did not answer.

Also, except for image compression is a shift of all the sprites in the lower left corner. Font position is correct.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 15:57
Should I test the Tier 1 or Tier 2 version of SpaceShooter?

I don't you who you mean by 'your programmer'. I am only a volunteer tester, not an official member of TGC.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 16:53
Quote: "Should I test the Tier 1 or Tier 2 version of SpaceShooter?"

The Tier 2 version of SpaceShooter.

Quote: "I am only a volunteer tester, not an official member of TGC"

Sorry. I wrote a letter to the programmer TGC.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 16:54
I ran the Tier 1 with no problems, both in Player and from Xcode.

I could not compile the Tier 2 project (since it was out of date and not compatible with MS VS 2010). So, I copied the files and assets to a fresh Tier 2 from a working template, ran it and it worked fine both in Windows and on my iPad 2.

I should note that the Tier 2 version specified, in the code, a resolution of 550x400. So I made sure that the Core.m constants were set appropriately. It even ran smoothly when I uncommented those lines.

Without seeing your code and images, I cannot tell what is causing your issues. And I am not volunteering at this point to look over your whole projects (I am off on holiday in a few days and don't have time to take on tasks like that right now).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2012 20:36
Ancient Lady,

Your help is/was very interesting!
I learnt things form your posts!

I understand that you have other things to do, especially going on holidays

One day we will find the solution!

Regards,
Alain
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 09:54
Hi Ancient Lady,

I attached a simple example code.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 23:12
@Commander, I'm assuming that it is the same as the newly posted bug #393.

See my comments there.

I suspect that both you and Alain91 have the same issue. You are working with out of date core AppGameKit files in iOS.

Your UntitledViewController.m file is missing a key function which informs the core AppGameKit engine that the device has been rotated so that it can update the display.

The result of that missing notification is that the AppGameKit engine does not know that the device has been rotated and therefore does not update how it is displaying things.

Download the AppGameKit Zipped files (if you haven't already) from the TGC 'Your Products' download page.

Copy the files in the AGK/IDE/Apps/interpreter_ios/Classes directory to the Classes directory in your project.

Edit the UntitledViewController.m file and change '#include "interpreter.h"' to '#include "main.h"' for the project you sent, or to '#include "template.h"' for a new template.

Edit the Core.m to use your app dimensions.

Clean and rebuild your project and see if it works.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 23:18
Thank you. How to subscribe to the update messages SDK?

Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 23:27
Quote: "Download the AppGameKit Zipped files (if you haven't already) from the TGC 'Your Products' download page."

On this page ('My Products'), there is no "download page"!

Am I correct to do:
1. My Account
2. My Products

There are no updates.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2012 23:29
Quote: "update messages SDK"

Which SDK is that?

For keyboard, mouse, touch, etc. type messages, you cannot. You access those events only through the AppGameKit functions.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 00:30
Quote: "Your UntitledViewController.m file is out of date. It is missing at least one function that the core AppGameKit stuff would be using (didRotateFromInterFaceOrientation). And you apparently did not try the edit I suggested you use to fix the orientation code."

No, you have not written about this function.

I ONLY added the code this function from interpreter_ios to UntitledViewController.m:

And now everything is working correctly. Before that I took as the basis of the code from templates. So there is the old code.

Thanks for the help.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 05:32
The function I wrote about was 'shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation'. Look at the difference between my code snippet the the current version (with my swap of 3 and 4 as the only edit) and what is in your file.

It is a long standing, known and much discussed issue that the Tier 2 templates provided in recent versions are not up to date. And discussions about how to fix them are many and people have uploaded working templates.

If/when you go for Android Tier 2, make sure to download 'Android 1076 Tier 2 Template' from the TGC 'Your Products' download page to have a working Android Template.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 09:31
Quote: "from the TGC 'Your Products' download page"

I have no way to this page.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
PLEASE TGC *FIX* the templates for T2.
I have once again wasted half a day trying to make all work in T2 landscape mode
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 16:37 Edited at: 29th Aug 2012 16:49
@Commandor, if you have a paid for version AppGameKit, you should have an account on The Game Creators (TGC) website. After you log in, click on 'My Products' (I used the wrong label, sorry).

@bjadams, the Android Template can be found on the 'My Products' page. The template_ios_xcode4.zip file contains only the code/header files. Replace the ones in your template_ios_xcode4 directory and you should have a working template.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Attachments

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 16:49
I've attached a full MS VS 10 template project zipped up.

You may have to adjust some paths.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Attachments

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady, I have no problem with the latest Android template, as this was updated officially by Paul.

Unfortunately I am using Xcode3. Do you know which files I need to change?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2012 17:32 Edited at: 29th Aug 2012 17:33
Then what I posted was perfect! Your template/project directory should have a Classes directory, copy all the files from the zipped Classes directory to that one. Copy the CoreForApp.h and main.m files to the main template project directory.

If you use the template.cpp and template.h from the zipped file and then add your code to them, you will have access to the 'appGetResumed' function. If you don't want to use that function (I think it comes in handy), you'll need to edit the Classes/Core.m and remove the 'applicationWillResignActive' function, since it calls 'appGetResumed'. That is code I added (and posted somewhere in the iOS board) that lets the app do stuff, like actively pause a game (mine puts up a message and pauses the game) instead of the user finding themselves in the middle of a battle or something when they reopen the app after having gone to something else.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I have followed the instructions to the letter however i cannot force the app to change to landscape.

I think I need to put somewhere in Xcode 3 to allow for landscape orientations left & right but i have no idea where this is in xcode 3. maybe in info.plist?
Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2012 00:43
Ancient Lady,

A BIG thanks for your help !

Now the game resize correctly.

Best regards and have nice holidays

Alain
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 07:07
I experienced this same problem ; thankfully Ancient Lady's fix worked for me.

Something I would never have figured out on my own as I have not been doing Tier 1 app's at all and would never have looked at the classes folder in that area to see what was different.

Ancient Lady they should be paying you money for the service you are rendering to us all; without you and Hodgey I would have written off AppGameKit about 4-5 times already and just gone to native iOS code.

I can't thank you testers enough!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2012 17:34
@bjadams, it looks like you found the solution (at least you posted one about 35 minutes after your last post).

@Alain91 and erebusman, I'm always glad to help (I just got back from a couple of weeks in Alaska yesterday).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 21:16 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2012 21:16
ye si found the solution for the landscape problem, which was related to xcode3.

i am soon moving everything to mountain lion and the latest xcode and its getting harder to keep up with times, xcode3 is pretty much depreciated now
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 21:27
Yup, I don't know if Apple is keeping Xcode 3 up to date for new iOS versions. Xcode 4 was updated on Friday to work with iOS 6.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
no xcode 3 stopped support upto ios4.x

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 06:20:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 06:20:56