Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / Some BASIC questions ;-)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am thinking of trying out the AppGameKit for iOS development, and I have a number of questions.

1: Does the BASIC language included support OOP?
2: Can I use C++ instead?
3: I noticed on the video that a TGC splash screen appears on the iPad before the game starts, is this only during development or does it appear on released apps too?

Thanks

Pete
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 18:01
1. No
2. Yes, and it works well. But make sure to update your templates based on this thread. Otherwise things won't work well. The Tier 2 templates currently delivered with the tool are woefully out of date (known and much discussed issue).
3. You can control the splash screen and do not need to use the AppGameKit one. Here is some sample Tier 2 (C++) code for setting your own initial image (after the Default.png required by Apple), suggested to do something while your app loads media and such (based on template.cpp):

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
mrpmorris
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I have just discovered the Pascal / Lazarus interface to AGK. Now it looks like I get to use OOP and also revisit a language I am already proficient in rather than having to learn C++.

Do any of the platforms require binaries to ship with the released game? If so, which platforms and what binaries?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 01:21
If you build using the appropriate methods for each platform, the build creates a single thing that is posted in the appropriate forum.

Except for Windows. For that you include the built app and your media directory with everything in it, for Tier 1. For Tier 2 and Pascal (unofficial Tier 3), you still have to include all your media, but it is usually in the same directory as the built product, unless you specify a different sub-directory within the directory the executable is in (and make sure to reference it in the code).

The guides in the help page mostly get you set for each of the non-windows platforms. But I'm not sure how to apply them to Pascal as I haven't played with that yet (but I will, I liked Pascal way back when).

You can produce everything you need for an Android release from your Windows machine. To produce something for sale with Apple, you will need a Mac and use Xcode to create the right stuff.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
mrpmorris
Years of Service
User Offline
Didn't Apple give up on the XCode restriction? How could I compile a FreePascal AppGameKit app in XCode, or does this mean I can't use this combination to write iOS games?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 18:39
Quote: "Didn't Apple give up on the XCode restriction?"

They might have for iOS devices. I recently had to accept the updates to the licenses for the Apple Mac/iOS developer program. I read through both (they are separate). For a Mac it explicitly says that submitted apps must be built in Xcode. But I couldn't find the same requirement in the same place (or anywhere) for iOS.

I seem to remember that Jim Hawkins (the biggest Tier 3, Pascal, promoter) said that you could compile Pascal in Xcode. But a quick google shows a lot of discussion about it (in the general world, not just AGK).

I'm not sure how you can package and sign your app without using Xcode. If there is a way, that would be good.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 21:26
So ... funny question what makes Pascal "Tier 3"? I don't see the distinction?

Clearly an interpreted language like BASIC vs any compiled language there is a clear line; but what's the qualifier that makes Pascal Tier3?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2012 22:45
Tier 1 is Basic, Tier 2 is 'native' or C++. So, as the third programming option added by a third party, Tier 3 is Pascal.

Tier 3 is not the official designation, just one that has been adopted.

This is just splitting up by language, not type of language.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2012 04:36
Ah okay interesting designator then, thank you for the explanation.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:57:36
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:57:36