Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hooray! Confused n00b questions!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone. I'm new here, but I've been scoping out DB and 3D GameMaker for some time now, and I convinced my mom to get me 3DGMKR for Christmas. Yes, I'm young. In fact, I am 14. I know, I know. I can spell too. *Gasp*!

I just have some questions, mostly about 3DGamemaker.

1.)What other tools/packs can be used with 3dGameMaker? DarkMatter, 3DCanvas, Texture Maker, Cartography Shop?

2.) What exactly can be imported into 3DGMKR? Models.. music... text... textures... ??

3.) Is 3DGMKR flexible enough to display full-screen pictures, or display dialogue? Have characters speak when cued, with text at the bottom of screen? Could I make a Main Menu for the game?

4.) With enough work, could I develop a polished-looking game? I'm not worried about commercial stuff yet, but would it look decent?

Basically, I want to know the main limits and functions of 3DGMKR, because frankly, the main site does not explain it well. All I got out of the description was that it had a drag-and-drop interface, was easy to use, and could basically drop villains, a player, and have him "shoot". Shooting could mean 0 range though, and have a BIFF! effect while a punching animation plays. This is what I'm looking for. I just want to know how flextible this is to make a game with.

Well, it's great to be here, and I'll probably be here more in the future. The future, meaning that I'm getting DB sometime soon also

Rock on.

Yes, I'm Batman. Tremble in fear.
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2003 13:32
..I dont know about 3DGMKR. It doesnt have a demo so I dont know what it does, but I have a few things I noticed about it in the screenshots. All the games are the same. Just look at them. The layout is the same. The lvl stlye is the same. The camera veiw is the same. I dont know but it just doesnt look like the king of flexibility. It might be better than the screenshots showed, but I don't know.
You might want to download the alienware demo of Dark Basic and see if your any good at programming. It's a really easy language to learn. It's like QBASIC and Direct X thrown in a blender.

Mmmm variables taste like chicken...
Bruce Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm definitely buying 3DGMKR, I just want to hear about it. I've dLed the DB demo, and I like it. I've been programming BASIC since I was 8, so I'm not a newcomer to the language base.

Does anyone here own 3D GameMaker and can tell me about it?

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2003 04:55 Edited at: 13th Nov 2003 04:56
T3DGM is like a leash on a dog (where you are the dog, and it is the leash) You cant do much at ALL. Your limited to the same style layout over, and over, and over again.

DB/P is definatly the way to go if you really want to make games that you can say "Yep, I made that" and really be proud of it. You can customize T3DGM a little bit, importing your own models and all, but DBP is so much better.

Being 14 isnt an excuse Heck, some users here just turned 12!!! (you know who you are ) I myself am 15.

If you really want to make games, DBP is the way to go. If you just wanna drag + drop stuff together for a bit of fun, then get T3DGM. Basic layout:

Real Projects, Better Games: DBP
Little Projects, Less Freedom, Many Limits, Quick Fun: T3DGM

You decide Not bashin on T3DGM, its fine for some people. But if you really want to make a game without the limits T3DGM puts on you, DBP is the way to go.

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
_GTP
Years of Service
User Offline
well i havent used it but i'm sure its the type of sw where eventually you would get sick of dragging and dropping and want more at which point you can explore more options.

it may help you decide if you really want to go deeper into the rabbit hole.
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2003 12:42
Yeah i'm 14 too.

Mmmm variables taste like chicken...
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2003 17:30
there should be a demo
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
i don't think 3d game maker is like db i think its drag and drop but im not sure never used it =P

http://www.freewebs.com/ingamers
load image "sp1.bmp",1
paste???? 2d games = fun....teach me
Bruce Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not using my age as an excuse. I know 7 year olds on gaming forums. I just think it's funny that most people my age can't spell at all and constant think they're in AIM chat. So... I'm sorry for cracking a joke there. But I'm still not getting much info on 3DGMKR.. I know it's limiting and more like modding than game creating, but that's all I want to buy right now. So... what can 3DGMKR import?

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2003 18:08
Hah, I know - AIM chat on forums really bugs me Thanks for refraning from that

I think it can import, but your really going to be limited terribly...if you really want to make a game go with DB/P. There are like 5 people here who use T3DGM, compaired to the thousands that use DB/P When you have troubles with DB/P we are all here to help, with T3DGM,,,,were not

RPGamer

Dont forget to Join the Forums!
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2003 22:58
T3DGMK erm quite frankly is no good, and for around the same price you can get DB! and in the end it will be much better because eventually you are going to have to get DB or DBP because of how limiting T3DGMK is!

Supermonkey - The crime gifhting sex god monkey!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2003 09:02
If you have a broadband connection, you might want to download the movie that shows some of what you can do - its 40mb+ in size though.

http://files.thegamecreators.com/t3dgm/movie.mpg

Despite what everyone has posted here, the 3DGM is one of TGC's better selling products, so it must have something going for it

Yes, there are limitations with it, but you can produce something usable within hours. You can't say the same for DBC/DBP (not of the same quality). If you don't want to get into coding, but want a start at level/game design, then it seems like a good place to start.

Here are the answers to your questions as I see them

1.You can import models from other sources (including darkmatter, cart shop etc)
2. You can import Music, source, textures, models
3. No, it produces action games only (FPS, car race, puzzle)
4. Don't know about the quality
Bruce Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everybody. Questions answered. I'll let you know how I do with 3DGMKR.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2003 23:00
3DGM is just SEUCK in 3d, end of story, yes I owned it...now I don`t, gave it to my brothers kids (attention span of three seconds or so...the kids that is...perfect for them), I wasn`t impressed,

IanM...puzzles?, how on earth do you arrive at that conclusion? IIRC (and I do) you can`t even do keyed doors with it, the decision logic is all inherent in the nature of the games, badguys attack, scenery/static objects don`t, not much room for puzzles.

Mentor.
Metamophic
Years of Service
User Offline
Bruce Wayne: if you've been programming for 6 years you should DEFENITLY go with dark basic. and you cant even sell stuff you make with t3dgm without paying 400 royalties anyway.

www.freewebs.com/metamorphicsoft

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:34:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:34:16