Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The Star Fighter Project GOLD

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2012 20:23 Edited at: 4th Oct 2012 20:40
PLAY GAME BY CLICKING HERE!

Hi guys,

I'm working on the next major code example for my Teach Yourself Freedom Engine series. This example is aimed at beginners creating their first games with www.freedom-engine.com the first ebook is already up and features a basic game that teaches users how to use core Freedom Engine commands, setup their program environments, and dealing with sprites, sprite collisions, keyboard input, mouse input, etc etc. All the basics you need to make a working game!

This version will introduce a more complete feeling game, this example is aimed at GOLD users who can type in more than 4000 characters. This means it will have the following features:

1) Menu
2) Music
3) Sounds
4) Explosions!
5) 1 extra drone per 50 points, total of 10 drones maximum.
6) Highscores
7) Adverts!
8) Loading messages! So users don't sit there with a blank screen waiting for the game to start.

All the features will be written up and published on Amazon Kindle by the end of the month. For now if you can play the game, offer any feedback or suggestions.

Note, the background media is temporary I'll generate something better in the near future.

Loading messages

Menu

[b]Gameplay[b]

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Oct 2012 20:28 Edited at: 4th Oct 2012 20:28
linked game not working under Chrome for me... waited over 2 minutes...

I will test after a system overhaul as I have removed firefox already...

I followed the last project... think I still am... so shall follow this as I seriously want to study AppGameKit now... [as 3D is on the horizon...]

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2012 20:32
Do you get any loading messages? Or just a blank screen?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2012 21:04
I get the twin loading bars above and below the loading message and then ... [BLANK]

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2012 21:25
reset your browsers cache by typing chrome://chrome/settings/ into the browser address then clicking on advanced, tick everything and just clear it all.

Check to see if you have WebGL acceleration in chrome by using the address:

chrome://gpu-internals/

Everything at the top should be green and accelerated. If it's not the update your display drivers.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2012 21:31
Did as you said... and now it loads and stops at:

Quote: "Loading Cephalopod.mp3 9.45 @ MB"

Refreshed a couple of times... no change... oh and google goes OH SNAP! on me...

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 06:16
maybe give a status counter when loading the 10 meg mp3, it can take a while on slower connections.
Even just a sprite that moves so the user knows that the program has not frozen.

been waiting a while now, and my internet download counter is inactive. mine stops on loading sephelopod.mp3 too.

I am using firefox.

The freedom engine example projects do work for me.

I will give it a go a bit later.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 06:28
Can't really animate anything while you're loading single large mp3's. I'll reduce the size down in future versions the bitrate is very high right now. Still I suspect MrValentine's download is just very slow.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 16:15
Quote: "been waiting a while now, and my internet download counter is inactive. mine stops on loading sephelopod.mp3 too."

Quote: "Still I suspect MrValentine's download is just very slow. "

Clearly not the case, I can download a gigabyte every 10 minutes without any issue...

Let us know when you have made the change...

I have just completed my format and getting things installed... Chrome and Firefox are low on the list but eventually will be installed...

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2012 16:42
I've updated the project now, give it another go.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2012 21:39 Edited at: 11th Oct 2012 21:44
Hi Daniel,

The game worked fine for us here in the Canadian north using Chrome. Even our three year old had fun playing it. The load time was equivalent to me getting up and pouring a cup of coffee, but that does not bother me. I understand the internals of transferring data from one location to another.

Once in, the game ran smooth. At first I did not realize the mouse controlled the ship. After that little Canadian moment, we had fun taking turns. BlueFox did better than I. Tried it in Firefox, but we keep getting a "script error". It could be related to the fact we have an older version of Firefox running.

Overall, load time and play was very good.

** Additional **

In case you wanted to see the actual script error from Firefox, I've attached a screenshot for you.

Twitter: @NFoxMedia

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:03:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:03:31