Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Responsiveness with low sync value..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, would appreciate any tips on this. Basically my game engine is shaping up pretty nicely. It's basially a 2d room based affair. However, because everything is fairly simple I have to drop the sync rate right down to prevent everything moving at a thousand miles per hour. With the sync rate at around the 15 mark, everything looks and moves superbly, but responsiveness to user input is a bit sluggish. I.E if you tap left, or right nothing will happen. You have to semi hold it force a move. With the sync rate high, responsiveness is virtually immediate, but the characters move ridiculously fast. Has anyone else dealt with this kind of problem? My thinking is that if I put some method of skipping X number of game loops and upping the sync rate I can get it somewhere near what I want. Will that do the job do you reckon?
thanks a lot!
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2003 17:27
things should move a certain amount per loop
the amount they move should look good with the sync rate
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2003 19:47
You can either set the sync rate higher and move the characters less ammounts each time (the easy way).
Or let the game run as fast as it can and base the characters movement on,
1. The timer(), only move the character after a certain ammount of time since it was last moved/
2 Using fps. Work out how much you want your character to move a second and divide it by the fps.

p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
AlexB
Years of Service
User Offline
great cheers winch, will give that a go!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:35:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:35:17