Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / Distribute game to the App Store

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 14:10
How to transfer the game to the customer so that he can self publish it on the AppStore?

Life is our game, playing we live!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 14:54
To upload the App to the App Store you need :

- Be sure you don't break Apple rules.
- Build your app without any error
- Archive it with the "Distribution" profiling

When archived, it will open automatically the Organizer.
Choose "Validate" and wait Apple confirm it.
If all is ok, you can distribute it with "Distribute" button.

After those things, wait at least 1 week they review it, and pray!

Remember if your App is less than 20Mb, users can download it from the 3G too.
Else, they need to download your app using wi-fi.

Long life to Steve!
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 16:43 Edited at: 28th Oct 2012 20:40
to xGEKKOx:

All right, if I post the game on the AppStore. What to send game to the customer so that he himself distribute the game?

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2012 00:55
If you wanna create the IPA and sell it by yourself, you need to read carefully the Apple contract, first of all.
And after you must be sure your App can't be copied, so you must code an internal ID, i think.
After you can sell it on your website.

If you mean that you develope an app for a third part, that pay you for the job, they must compile it with their itunes account with xcode or via terminal command, adding the profiling.

Long life to Steve!
tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
I suggest in this case the customer (understanding here somewhat corporate customer) should have an Enterprise Apple developer account, then if customer adds you to developers group in this account, they can create provisioning profile for your app and send it to you. Having this profile, you can code sign your .ipa and send signed package to them (in case you don't want share the code). Other way, you can find a publisher who does the provisioning for you.
Anyway, I see the simplest way of carrying this out is as xGEKKOx said giving the code to customer and let them compile ipa themselves.

More on developer programs at
https://developer.apple.com/programs/start/ios/

And, to add, Enterprise seems to be only for US-based companies...

never give up
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2012 22:05
Thank you. The customer added me to the team and I compile the archive and send it.

tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Commandor, happy to see it helped good luck with your app

never give up
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
this is a bit out of subject, but it is a question that i have wondered for a long time...

if you guys have a customer that hires you to program an app, do you always give him the agk source codes? and in case of AppGameKit if the customer did not buy agk, how do you handle that?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 15:17
You provide the source if that is what was agreed upon in the beginning.

Providing AppGameKit source to someone who didn't purchase AppGameKit is probably okay (I do NOT work for TGC, this is just a guess). If they don't have AppGameKit, they cannot compile it.

Of course, there are different issues for iOS and Mac distributions, since they require licenses with Apple. In a case like that, you would probably provide just the source and the client must purchase AppGameKit and build the final products.

Android distribution might also have the same issues since the apk needs to be signed.

What Tier and distributions are you working on for the client?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm not working for any clients at this stage.

but i get requests for contract jobs every now and then.

my issue with source code has always been that the client is looking to create a generic app, and then hire some cheapo programmer to clone and resell the app 1000 times.
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2012 13:46
bjadams, Only the archive project is sent to the client. The client then compiles and sends it further to App Store. I cannot send myself the whole source code to the client, since this code is shared by other projects as well.
The price of the source code should be negotiated separately.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
how can the client compile the project in xcode and submit to the appstore without source codes?!!!!!!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2012 17:06
If you are working in Tier 1, and provide the byte code file with other media, and the client purchased AppGameKit, he can compile in Xcode to his hearts content. Tier 1 in non-windows platforms does not require the original AppGameKit source code.

If you are working in Tier 2, then they can only compile in non-Windows platforms if you provide the source code.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
true, the only way the client can compile the project himself in xcode and submit to the appstore without sending any source codes is in T1.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Commandor the problem seems that clients want and pretend everything at the lowest possible price. They pretend that the price includes development, source code, and then, months after they appear again, and pretend that you give them support to help another developer to update the app without hiring you!!!!!!!
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2012 20:26 Edited at: 12th Dec 2012 20:30
bjadams This is bad customers! I have all my clients just say that the code is not for sale. Everyone agrees.
They give me keys project admin and include me to developer team and I send the "Xcode Arhive", no source code - only contents.

In Organizer select "Export as Xcode Arhive". Then this pack send to client. Inside "Xcode Arhive" - only content and binary files. Then they can send it directly to the AppStore and get your money

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Didn't know of this option "Export as Xcode Archive"

Is this something that appeared in xcode4 or was always there?

This would solve the problem of the client having to give you their appstore username & password as they can upload the app themselves!

I wish to come across GOOD clients that accept just the app and not the sources! I get only requests from BAD clients... I think they have hidden agendas to clone or sell the source as templates and make some money!!!
Commandor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2012 20:54
Quote: "Didn't know of this option "Export as Xcode Archive""

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#recipes/xcode_help-archives_organizer/articles/distributing_ios_apps.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010547-CH2

Quote: "Is this something that appeared in xcode4 or was always there?"

I work in Xcode 4.4.1 & 4.5.

Quote: "This would solve the problem of the client having to give you their appstore username & password as they can upload the app themselves!"

They only give the keys. I can load the application itself on AppStore. But I can not with him on anything.

Quote: "I get only requests from BAD clients..."

Need to write in the most game companies and publishers.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the problem is that clients who are just individuals are pretending 1000% of what they pay for.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:37:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:37:07