Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How Advanced can I get with making games with DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am looking at getting Dark Basic Proffesional. I want to know before I buy it if I can get very advanced. Is it just a drag and drop software or can I code the game and where can i learn to code a game with it if a can. Also with a multiplayer and other options can I make a game say like Call of Duty. A multiplayer and single player and a wide range multiplayer like i just have a server and people play on the server with Call of Duty 2 style play it can be online or just a local computer multiplayer. Or is this software much simpiler where I make mario 64 style games and thats it. so to summarize i want a game like Halo 3 or Call of Duty 2 or even I dare say a Battlefield game. A multiplayer online with a singleplayer I code the game not drag and drop and I can make FPS RTS and Sandbox games is Dark Basic Pro the option for my requirements.
Darkhog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 14:11
It's game-oriented programming language based on BASIC so I'd say you can get very advanced. Additionally you can write plugins for it in form of the DLL libraries in other languages, so I'd say the only limit is your imagination and your skill.
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 14:15
Quote: " I want to know before I buy"

dark basic pro is free

Quote: "Is it just a drag and drop software"

no, there's no drag and drop features, dbpro is programming language

Quote: "can I make a game say like Call of Duty"

you can make shooters but not with such an advanced graphics and other effects, shooters on a much smaller scale

Quote: "Halo 3 or Call of Duty 2 or even I dare say a Battlefield game"

didn't play any of it but i can say that dbpro has problems rendering huge scenes and lots of animated characters, everything else depends on your ability to code and optimize

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 19:08
im a bit before those games too, i figure you can make a game up to halflife 1 standard graphics wise as standard, and with shaders you can do better(I am not well versed with shaders but have seen their effects in example programs)

the rest is literally up to you, with clever resource handling and your own logic system, a well devised level of detail system and wise resource planning you can make anything you can dream up. It may not stand up to todays dx11 graphics but It will be your own game and made your own way, and If DBProElite every happens it will be backwards compatable, so you can use you current logic system with newer technology. so we all hope.

long story short, dark basic pro is what you make of it. It is an immensely powerful programming language if you look into what it provides for you within its syntax. It is simple enough to program in to maintain creative workflow whilst building your logic system from the ground up intuitively and easily.

I personally swear by it.

just use it for yourself for free and see If it clicks with you.

The forums are here, there are many amazing programmers that browse the forum to help new users like yourself, everyone else helps to their own degree of understanding. we all pay it forward as we learn.

welcome to the community.

kezzla

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 23:18
I agree with what everyone has said, and can only say, Welcome to the forums.

We are a vibrant friendly bunch on here, and there is a lot of free content on here too! and if you ever need help beyond your coding, that is available as well...

I must ask that you read the AUP [Acceptable Usage Policy] found below the Post Message button, it will save you from any issues such as being put back on moderation

Also remember to ask a question no matter how silly, such as "How do you add an image to a post, and how to embed a YouTube video" just fire them at us

See you around

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 10:41:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 10:41:40