Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Hellbound-Pimp my zombie-WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Been thinking of doing a Hellish Creatures character pack for some time now, I had a couple of ideas of how I wanted to do it and made a start today.

First off got a look at video as a texture on characters and its coming along nicely. I pimped up the Putrid Zombie and he looks more Hellish and creepier than before.

I have a few character ideas and will post them as I go along.

Tax 78
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 10:02
very, very ,very good

nice work

Tax

Sorry but I use a translator
XDwannesXD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 11:08
this looks great!

-
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 14:35
Looking nice. How does it handle the performance with the video texture on it? Does it make the animations lag?

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 15:45
this is awesome but I hope there will be other type of model creatures and not the Putrid Zombie in different textures.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
thats freakin awsome i love it what else are you working on

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 18:55
Love the burning skin effect. Could be very creepy in the dark.
Great work!
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 19:26
Very cool effect and you know what I prefer your zombies over those that Bond1 has done.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 20:42 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2012 21:06
Its just a proof of concept at the moment, I had the idea of using video as texture on characters after trying out the new 'video on entity' feature on other objects with more complex surfaces.
This can be used to create caustics/lava, light reflections etc, in the example above the video texture is only 1.24Mb in file size, which is far smaller than it would have been doing it as an atlas frames sheet, the texture I used is rendered at 512x512 and I intend to up this to 1024x1024 for finished product.
The zombie was used for this to test it all out and other characters will be created now that I know it works, still to fully test it and at present looking deeper into a shader which can allow control over lighting on characters using video.

In some cases an animated atlas walk shader would be preferred (for alpha transparency etc and I am not sure it would work on characters) but for me the extra frames with such a low file size works fine.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2012 07:33
Impressive! We can always count o you to raise the bar for innovation in FPSC.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 3rd Dec 2012 14:57
I find this very disturbing . If you will remember, it was this type of genetic coding, messing with nature that brought zombies into this world in this first place. To somehow enhance these abominations, making them more powerful and frightning... what could you possibly be thinking?

Note: If this is for military purposes or you're being paid well or you're a mad scientist, disregard my previous comments as that would explain everything and be quite acceptable.

Oh, and I think he/she is kinda sexy.

Brian.

!retupmoc eht ni deppart m'I !pleH

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
My cover has been blown and your a very sick boy, but to be honest he/she is kinda hot.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 10:17 Edited at: 5th Dec 2012 10:26
Got a bit of a way through painting this, comes with the compulsory triple joint goat legs required by most Demons.
Would fit in with Horror/Sci-Fi.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 14:30
now that what I'm talking about.models like this will make this pack interesting.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 14:43
will normal mpas work on a video textured creature?

Come to where the madness is:http://www.homegrowngames.at
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 20:16 Edited at: 5th Dec 2012 22:27
From what I am seeing the shader illuminationent'fx is the only one which shows the video textures at present:

Effect Texture _I (could be anything here - ill,spec,normal,cube)

I have changed the parameters for ambience in the shader to get a stronger illumination effect on the character entity and adjusting the spec map has an effect as does placed lighting, but I am not sure that normal map has any effect, its hard to tell as video is constantly changing on the surface.

What I have found is that only one video texture can be played at a time, trying to use two different characters results in both using the same video if placed side by side in one scene, I dont know if destroying one character would free up the other to call a different texture yet.
I am still learning here and simply getting video on characters is exciting enough for me just now But I will try all combination of maps to see what effect they have.

All characters will have diffuse,normal,spec and illumination maps and will be set up to use standard character shaders as well as video and for those who own the Viral Outbreak pack they will use those shaders as well.

Viral Outbreak shader.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Rolfy,

Some nice concepts here. It's always good to see people pushing the boundries.

I've been playing around with the video texturing, and I'm able to run more than 1 video at the same time, providing it is assigned a seperate ID.

However, I do find that applying video to characters can be a bit glitchy (at best ).

It could be that there is a problem with complex entities, so if you need any advice or are experiencing any other issues please feel free to contact me.

SC
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 19:53 Edited at: 10th Dec 2012 20:13
Hi SC,
Quote: "I've been playing around with the video texturing, and I'm able to run more than 1 video at the same time, providing it is assigned a seperate ID."

Umm...guess I should have thought of that
I changed ID and it works fine as you say, thanks

I got a chance to check out the AI and animations etc today and I am finding everything works perfectly with no glitches I can tell.
Three characters each playing different video textures and everything working as it should, of course these are custom so far and I haven't yet tried it out with stock.

Quote: "However, I do find that applying video to characters can be a bit glitchy"

What glitches did you see? It would help immensely to iron out any bugs with it now. Will fire you an e-mail soon.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Rolfy,

Glad you've got it sorted.

As for problems, stock characters can become corrupted on ragdoll enabled models, I think that's it. Send me an email when you're ready and we'll work through any issues.

SC
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2012 16:27
I'm pretty sure I would soil my pants if that came at me.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2012 21:10 Edited at: 12th Dec 2012 00:24
Quote: "As for problems, stock characters can become corrupted on ragdoll enabled models, I think that's it."

I have re-done the AI stock character for video texture. Checked it out and using ragdollcorpse.fpi in destroy field, I am seeng the same results with both. It all seems to work fine at my end.

The throwragdoll scripts all bug out for me whatever character they are used on. Are these scripts supposed to be used in destroy as is, or are they snippets?
It has always been my preference to play only 1 frame anyhow so ragdoll takes over right away.
It might work better to play any partial death anims from the AIMain script before going to ragdoll in the destroy. I'll play around with it
SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah! at last some models to show off FPSC and shaders to the full, great stuff Rolfy as always!!
King Fluffs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2012 14:29
That's certainly a pack I'd buy.

Swift Beta Studios
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work as always rolfy nice one.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
loler
Years of Service
User Offline
the animated texture looks awesome it reminds me of eternal darkness
looking forward to see more monsters and demons from you

its not a bug its a feature
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 01:28 Edited at: 19th Dec 2012 01:37
Just keeping this thread alive, still working on new creatures

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 03:39 Edited at: 19th Dec 2012 03:45
Cathy saw something like this... it scared her when she was downstairs. After calling out to me, I came down to see this huge creature on the floor scurry across then stop and look at us, rising up on its legs. Grabbing the broom, I swung but it blocked my shot. It grabbed the broom from me and began to chase us around the house.

The moral of the story- meeting a creature like this requires you to make sure you have a more effective weapon than a broom, like a bazooka.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The moral of the story- meeting a creature like this requires you to make sure you have a more effective weapon than a broom, like a bazooka."

Every home should have one.
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 06:12
Looks awesome!

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The moral of the story- meeting a creature like this requires you to make sure you have a more effective weapon than a broom, like a bazooka"

A broomzooka perhaps.. now there's a weapon for an uninspired modeller..

And back in the real world.. This is looking amazing Rolfy, but what else can we expect from you.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2012 04:56
Impressive! I'm amazed!

You mentioned that this will be a pack. One that we will be able to buy I hope?

Please keep us posted and happy holidays.

-Wolf

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2012 01:50
I like where this is going, especially the animated textures. You should make something like the cacodemon from Doom.

Hello one and all...
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 03:03 Edited at: 27th Dec 2012 03:12
Alternate video texture display for hit damage on characters.
The video capture is too slow to catch it properly but video texture alternates with every hit. It looks really good in game.

These video textures are for testing only and not meant to represent a finished idea.

You can also see a new feature from Scene Commander, a delayed destroy timer to remove ragdoll enabled character entity's from the game.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Beautiful!! I really have no more to say.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking amazingly good Rolfy, it's come a long way, and it was good before.. Really looking forward to this one.

I'm glad the timer destroy is working for you, let me know if you need to discuss anything else.

SC
Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 16:49
These look Fantastic.

Good work so far Rolfy.

I always like your work.

PAIN!

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2012 00:01
Yet another "Must have addition" for developers. This is truly top shelf media. Will grab this as soon as it's ready. Fine, and cutting edge work here Jim. All my best. -Dale.

Back from the Wasteland.
SOLO DESIGN
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool youtube vid Rolfy, could the animated video textures be used to help the dieing sequence?

Like say the robot de-rezzing after he is killed like TRON (for example)

Great stuff!!
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2012 22:11 Edited at: 28th Dec 2012 22:54
Quote: "could the animated video textures be used to help the dieing sequence?

Like say the robot de-rezzing after he is killed like TRON (for example)"

Something similar would be entirely possible, though video does not use alpha.

I have been testing it with multiple alt video textures and it still works like a charm, it doesn't have the limitation of only one alt texture using the old diffuse texture method, although I am not sure if this wouldn't have been achievable through scripting before (never seen anyone try it) as I reckon it might have required a source change to add a similar ID function.
Maybe something for Scene Commander to think of adding as well at this time for diffuse alt textures if it wouldn't be a major job

You could use atlas texture with alpha channel and shader to achieve the Tron effect far easier than using video in a similar way bond1 did with his viral outbreak Medusa character death sequence, although not entirely the same shader method I reckon its the right track to ponder on.
I do remember bond mention that scripting might be introduced for shader control in the past but dont think it was ever implemented, even a simple start and stop of atlas frames would allow for some really cool effects, not only on characters. This might still be achievable with things as they are with a workaround but I dont have the time to look at it right now.
Dr WrathfulSupreme
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks AWESOME you're doing great!
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I am about finished with modeling and painting this one for now.

Winged Demon.

Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2013 23:55
love it!! Will the animation simulate some flight characteristics, or will this be a grounded character?

Back from the Wasteland.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2013 01:52 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2013 02:21
Thanks cp
Quote: "
Will the animation simulate some flight characteristics, or will this be a grounded character?"

I will likely make it both though I think this one should mostly crawl when grounded.
Its been a while since I last did a flying character for FPSC and a lot may have changed since then. The hit detection bounding box was restricted to the characters pivot position and you couldn't hit a character in the air.
One thing I am looking forward to this time around is seeing if limb detection will work on a flier, if it does then I will be sure to include some extra hit damage anims.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2013 11:43 Edited at: 13th Jan 2013 12:05
Winged Demon rigging test.

Testing rigging on Winged Demon with idle animation loop.

Ignore the lighting I crank the Gamma settings to spot any errors.

I threw the skull mound in to give it something to pose on, still, I could include the skull and make a low poly mound to throw into the pack.
I am thinking aside from a basic flight or ground idle that I should include a couple of posed ones which would include props and an interim animation which would take it from pose to combat. Such as the one above or on a pillar then leap down or into flight to add a little realism.
The Nerevar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2013 15:53
These are some epic demons Rolfy! Out did yourself once again!

Will you be taking any requests?

Fulfilling the Nerevarine Prophecy, one trial at a time, because I... Am... The Nerevar!
Tax 78
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2013 18:47
Very nice the demon, the idle animation is perfect, very realistic.

Tax

Sorry but I use a translator
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 08:01 Edited at: 26th Apr 2013 08:19
Did video textures concept/technique get finished? did it make it into your hellbound winged demon pack, this is a great effect, I'm wondering if it got developed to completion.

just read the description
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2335
These could do with some in-game video so we can see them more, description sounds great, but as they say, a picture or a video is worth a thousand words. Ill have to have a look in the WID or showcase see if anyone used them.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 08:43 Edited at: 26th Apr 2013 08:50
The Demons do have video texture versions, I included these more of a bonus rather than main content. They do pull down the framerate a bit and should only be used sparingly. Another problem is when using two with the same video texture when one is destroyed I scripted them to destroy the videotexture as well to clear it from memory this bugs out FPSC and it might freeze when the second character is destroyed. If using videotextures on characters its best to use different ones in the same scene.
Since videotextures are a new feature and I dont even think they were intended for characters I decided not to make it a major feature of the Demons pack, as I say though you have the option as they are included.
They do look superb in game

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 09:55
I wonder if the same effect can be done by using an illumination texture then blending in on and off, or even using 2 diffuse and blending/fade one on and off, I haven't looked into scripting but there may be a faster way of getting the same effect.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 10:12 Edited at: 26th Apr 2013 10:22
The only other way would be an atlas walk shader.
You wont get it with scripting primarily because you only have one alt texture to use.
Honestly you wont get close to it blending only two frames.
bond1 may have made a shader something similar to what your thinking, for Cosmic Prophet's segments using pulsing lights, but I dont know if its usable for characters.

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:24:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:24:09