Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / FPSC Tutorial Series

Author
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2012 20:31 Edited at: 4th Mar 2013 10:05

I am making this tutorials series for those that want to know the basics of FPSC. This series will take you through from start to finish on the basics of making a game in FPSC.

I will show you how to make custom models, scripts, etc as well as using FPSC stock.

Each tutorial will bring you closer to a finish game and give you more knowledge to making your own game with FPSC.

This will be a tutorial much like what you would see on Cg Cookie. This is the one of the reason for a tutorial of this sort. I understand that this may not work for everyone on these forums, but it will help you understand what it takes to make a game with FPSC.

After each tutorial is posted and you have any questions you may post it here and we can openly help with your problem. I am hoping that this tutorial series will help with the little questions that some of our newer members have.

If some of our older members have ideas or can contribute to these tutorials, please send me an email with your ideas or contribution. Thanks.

So far, I have about 20+ tutorials planned for this series. Here is the list of the upcoming tutorials with a download below each tutorial when released:

Overview and Outline

Concepts and Ideas

Storyline

Getting Started in FPSC and Other Programs

Creating a Segment and Texture

Creating a Custom Segment and Texture

Creating a Skybox and a Custom Skybox

Creating Environment Entities

Creating and Using Custom and Stock Static Entities
Creating and Using Custom and Stock Dynamic Entities
Creating and Using Custom and Stock Characters
Creating and Using Custom and Stock Scripts
Creating and Using Custom and Stock Weapons
Level Design and Lighting
Using shaders
Creating and Using Custom and Stock Decals
Creating Puzzles
Creating Cut-scenes
Creating Music and Sound Effects
Creating and Using Custom and Stock Menus
Creating the Final Build Game

I will release a tutorial each week with the exception of the holidays.

You will need the following programs for this tutorial series.

FPS Creator full version
Blender 2.49 or Blender 2.5
Blender Direct X export script
Gimp
FL Studio
SpaceScape
FPSC Segment Creator
FPSC Entity Maker or New windowed version FPSC Entity Maker
FPI Edit Pad
Milkshape
Fragmotion
LMMS

I will go into each program with you as they are needed, but I want you to play with each one and get a feel for them first. Some of you use fragmotion and milkshape right now, but I have not forgotten you. I have chosen to make a tutorial series on a free programs that I use the most with the exception of FPSC and FL Studio. That does not mean that I will not reference milkshape and fragmotion in the tutorials. I started with milkshape and found blender. Blender had so much more to offer for a free program, but I will not go into that here. That is something for a tutorial.

Enjoy!

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2012 20:31 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2012 17:46
I decided that if you wish to have all the source files and materials that I have done with this tutorial series, I ask that you make a one time $5.00 donation. Everytime a tutorial is released and I have files that go with that tutorial, you get them.

Having the source files help sometimes to see how to get the finished product. As I get more into the modeling and textures, these will become increasingly more valuable to have.

Thanks and Enjoy!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2012 22:05
Thank you for this. What I'm looking forward to are the following tutorials:

* Creating and Using Custom and Stock Static Entities
* Creating and Using Custom and Stock Dynamic Entities
* Creating and Using Custom and Stock Characters

Also, the tutorials on how to use:

* Blender
* SpaceScape
* Gimp

One thing, it looks like FL Studio needs to be purchased. Is this right? I do have a "Guitar Center" here in town that carries it and they are having a Christmas special but what about others who might not be able to afford the cost?

THEORY - you know everything but nothing works. PRACTICE - when everything works but don't know why. For me, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and I don't know why.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Fl Studio has a demo version that allows you to make music for free and export it for FPSC, but it will not allow you to open a saved file for future use. You pretty much have to make your song all in one go with the demo version, but you get the full use of the program.

Quote: "What I'm looking forward to"

That's what I want to hear.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2012 23:03
Just to point out, there is also LLMS. We use it in conjunction with FL Studio. Although your tutorial may cover FL Studio usage, LLMS works the same way so people should be able to use your info in LLMS (more or less).

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 00:12
Quote: "Fl Studio has a demo version that allows you to make music for free and export it for FPSC"

That's what I wanted to hear.

Quote: "Just to point out, there is also LLMS"

I'll take a look at it.

THEORY - you know everything but nothing works. PRACTICE - when everything works but don't know why. For me, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and I don't know why.
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 01:09 Edited at: 10th Dec 2012 01:10
I have some video and written tutorials on how to make entities and also how to make a single player game. The videos are large files, but I can set up an ftp server if you want them.

Also FL studio (Fruity Loops) was a scaled down version of Sony Acid pro, and there is a free version of that called Acid express:

http://www.acidplanet.com/downloads/xpress/

If you know one, you know them all as they are all based on Sony's Acidized sample technology (loops).
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Blackfox!

Quote: "I have some video and written tutorials"

Thanks for the offer.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is the second tutorial for this tutorial series. This one is on Ideas and Concepts. After those of you that read it, I would like to see your concepts for your game, no matter what they look like.

Also would like to hear what you think of this tutorial series so far. Leave comments. Thanks and Enjoy!

Attachments

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to give a better download for the first tutorial without ads. Everything is updated in the first post. Enjoy!

Attachments

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2012 21:34
Quote: "Also would like to hear what you think of this tutorial series so far."

I think they are great. Some good information being presented and it will help get people into the "mindset" to design their games. There is a lot that has to get done to have a solid product put together from start to finish, major items right down to the last finite minor item. Sometimes it is easier with a group of people and you can delegate the work, and we follow a similar structure you outlined in the Concepts and Ideas tutorial for all our developments. Consistency is the key.

Would Cathy and I be permitted to post these on NFM in the "guides" section?

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2012 22:12 Edited at: 21st Dec 2012 22:27
The 2nd part is good. Lot's of good tips.

However, you said in your tutorial, "Everyone can draw, so do not be discourage if your first drawing does not come out the way you wanted the first time. Try, try again until you succeed."

No, I'm afraid not everyone can draw; but, there are those young people in the forums that don't know if they can draw or not. It is those who need to try. Some many years ago in my younger days, I wanted to draw. After several months of classes and trying, I found out that I just couldn't. I have concepts in my head but to get them on paper is not possible. It is the same for singing. I hear a tune in my head -- it is perfect -- but to try to get it out of my mouth -- no way.

So, do try if you have never tried before. Even if you don't think you can.

For me, it's stick figures or bizarre looking arms, fingers, legs, toes and heads. But never how I imagined them! Even if I imagined them bizarre looking!

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that most people get Fpsc and think I am going to make the next Gears of War or COD, but they just don't have any idea how it is done. Then after the constant battering forum members give on the forum, their will to succeed disappears and so does their game.
Getting older members to anwser emails or questions are often met with hard comments or no responses. That is not how we should be.

By doing this tutorial series, I am hoping to help our new members as well as others, to make a game that they are happy with. Most of all I want them to succeed. As you say " getting people into the mindset " is the key to this series.

Quote: "Would Cathy and I be permitted to post these on NFM in the "guides" section?"
Yes, you may.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "For me, it's stick figures "

That is still considered drawing. If concepts cannot be drawn out by you, then perhaps someone else can do those for you.

For example I am not good a scripting nor do I feel that I will ever be. I still try at it and if I find something I cannot do I ask for help. Sometimes it is paid help, but the end result is the same.

Do what you can do and what you cannot find someone that can. That simple.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is the third tutorial for the series. In this tutorial we look at writing a story for our game. Feel free to show your stories here. I would love to see what you all come up with.

Attachments

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2012 17:47 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2012 17:47
I decided that if you wish to have all the source files and materials that I have done with this tutorial series, I ask that you make a one time $5.00 donation. Everytime a tutorial is released and I have files that go with that tutorial, you get them.

Having the source files help sometimes to see how to get the finished product. As I get more into the modeling and textures, these will become increasingly more valuable to have.

The second post has been updated.

Thanks and Enjoy!

A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2012 17:21
Here's a template for the game outline thing based on the one in the first lesson.

Don't waste your life

Attachments

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Good job! That's what I want to see!

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I wanted to thank those of you that have donated for this tutorial series. Source files will be sent as the tutorials are done. If I miss one of you, just send me an email and I will get the source files to you. Source files for the Ideas and Concepts tutorial have been sent. Enjoy!

For those of you that think that the tutorials need to be bought to follow then you are mistaken. I am only asking for a donation for the source files as they come available. Think Unity Cookie, the tutorials are there, but sometimes it helps to see how something was done.

Also I wanted to inform all of you that tutorials 4 & 5 will be out later this week. In tutorial 4, I reference some paid programs, so I wanted you all to see them. In the first post I will update and add them.

Keep those comments and emails coming. I enjoy them.

Until next time.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2013 01:26 Edited at: 4th Jan 2013 01:29
Here is the fourth tutorial. Be warned this is a long one. In this tutorial I show how to make a small level. I would love to see what all of you come up with. Enjoy!

Attachments

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2013 17:26 Edited at: 4th Jan 2013 17:27
Just had a quick look at the latest and there seems to be a couple of error right off the bat (emphasis mine):

Quote: "With is selected you can paint it in the editor to create a floor, by clicking the right mouse button to place a segment."

It's actually the left mouse button to place things (the way I'm reading it).

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol thanks I will fix that.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok the fourth tutorial has changes made with the right and left mouse clicks. I would like to know how many of you I confused with this error.

Also I thought about this all week, I am will to give a prize of all models and media used in this and future tutorials, if one of you can show me your best version of the level I created in this tutorial.

Here are the rules:

1.) You can only use a 25 x 25 x 25 grid.
2.) You can only use stock media. Only what comes with FPSC,no additional model packs.
3.) It can only be a one level game.
4.) You cannot make a build game. You can only give the .fpm.
5.) You have one week from today to complete it.

The best level design and gameplay by either new or old member will receive the prize above. Granted it is only a $5 prize, but I will throw in something else special. I cannot say what it is, but let's just say it's godly in nature. A model designed as a test with use with the new videotexture command. Think Greek.

Contest begin's now!!

Attachments

A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2013 16:34 Edited at: 5th Jan 2013 16:35
Deleted. Didn't read carefully.

Don't waste your life
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2013 22:05
Quote: "...if one of you can show me your best version of the level I created in this tutorial. "

So that it mean that the level has to have a WW2 theme?

Don't waste your life
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So that it mean that the level has to have a WW2 theme?"
No. Just stock media, but using my level as a start. If you go through the tutorial, I gave you a base to follow, but it does not need to be ww2 segments.

A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2013 22:28 Edited at: 5th Jan 2013 22:47
Okay.

One more thought: does the base include the elevator, windows, and door?

Don't waste your life
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "does the base include the elevator, windows, and door?"
I want you to use an elevator, windows and doors, but it does not have to be exactly the same as I put them in the base. The base is the segments. Also I gave you a new base with a 25 x 25 x 25 grid. I would like to see what all of you can come up with. I want all of you to be creative and feel comfortable using FPSC before moving on to the next tutorial.

What I am looking for is who makes the most out of stock media. I only ask that you use my base as a starter. My base was 14 x 9 x 2.

Keep in mind FPSC editor starts you at level 5, so to make your grid, you might want to go up to a level where you can fit everything you want into the grid.

Enjoy!

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a preview of the special prize. It is not much right now, but if you know which greek god this is, then you will know what the videotexture will be. I had this idea for quite sometime now, but never really sat down and made him. This will be more of a boss like character.

Enjoy!

Attachments

A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2013 21:15
Is the contest still open?

Don't waste your life
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is the contest still open?"

Sorry no. I would like to see what you have done. If you did a great job, I might be willing to give a prize based on what you have done.

I have the next tutorial ready for you all. Enjoy!

Attachments

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is the next tutorial for custom segments. If at any time you see that I misspelled a word or I don't make much sense in this tutorial, please ask your question here. I will be more than happy to help.

Also for those of you that I missed the last couple of tutorials with the source files, I am sending them tonight after I am done here. You will get a big file this time. Enjoy!

Attachments

A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 21:04 Edited at: 16th Jan 2013 21:05
Quote: "Sorry no. I would like to see what you have done. If you did a great job, I might be willing to give a prize based on what you have done."

The map is attached.

Don't waste your life

Attachments

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "FL studio (Fruity Loops) was a scaled down version of Sony Acid pro"

Uhmm thats a bit hard being FruityLoops came out before Acid pro in 1997 and Acid pro was released in 1998 and they two different companies.

Anyway best of luck with this project.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Anyway best of luck with this project."
Thanks!

raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2013 04:48
Quote: "Uhmm thats a bit hard being FruityLoops came out before Acid pro in 1997 and Acid pro was released in 1998 and they two different companies."

Your right I was a little off. I thought FL was originally started by Sonic Foundry, the company that created Acid and Sound Forge programs before Sony took over the project. Although FL did not work with loops prior to December of '98 (only worked with Midi when it came out in '97 and was never "fully" released), they are two separate pieces or software.

This is from Wikipedia so take it for what's it's worth...

Sorry for the confusion.
Killj0y17
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2013 06:13
I'll definitely wait for the
Quote: "Creating Puzzles
Creating Cut-scenes"

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is tutorial #7. If you have problems with this one feel free to ask here. There are somethings that are more trial and error with making skyboxes that I didn't cover in the tutorial.

Some of you older members that have the experience with skybox creation are free to anwser these questions as well.

Attachments

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 10:16
Just a quick one to say 'Thank You' for these 'PDF' tutorials which I am downloading and storing for future reference.

All the best of luck to you.
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 22:24
Any new tutorials?

Don't waste your life
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, This Brian's wife. He is away for classes this week, but will reply as soon as he can this weekend when he gets back.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, I am back! As my wife stated above, I was away at school. I have past my exams and I am back for the next winter storm. I have alot of great stuff for all of you, but it will need to be after the winter storm. I live in Columbia, Mo and it is going to be an exciting night as I push snow.

@A dude I have something for you, but I need your email. I played through your map and I have your prize.

When things slow back down this week, I will finish the tutorial. I have worked on it all day today. I decided to rewrite the last three tutorials as I felt I could add so much more to them. I want all to learn from them, but get what they want from them.

Until next time

Mini0013xx
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the one with creating custom segments, but what about if you're creating terrain?

For example, pushing up a hill or something, and require more than just a flat square.

Thank you if you answer.
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 23:28
@starmind 001,

Also, is it possible for you to redo tutorial 6 with the latest version of Blender? It's quite different.

Don't waste your life
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "is it possible for you to redo tutorial 6 with the latest version of Blender? It's quite different."

It is possible, but I will not be remaking it. Even though I use blender 2.49, I also use blender 2.64. The difference is not that much. It is a different interface, but must of the controls are the same. I use blender 2.64 for alot of video renders and animations, but I use blender 2.49 to do the setup. This is my preference. If the interface is what is getting you behind then I suggest that you go here to learn it better.

I only want to show you all the basics, so by using blender 2.49 I can give you a simple and clean look. You can still download blender 2.49 and follow along, but you should be able to use maya, milkshape, 3dmax, fragmotion or any other software out there and just translate for your project. I cannot redo tutorials for each 3d software out there. It would take time and money that is not available. If you wish to donate to have a tutorial made then maybe it can become a possiblity.

Quote: "but what about if you're creating terrain?"

You are talking about how Rolfy makes his terrain. The way that I understand how he makes his terrain is by slicing it up into segments. He has a tutorial on this in the guide made by Nickydude in your docs folder. In the guide it is called Terrain tutorial by Rolfy. It uses 3ds max for his tutorial, so again you will have to modify it to your program. If you think thatyou don't have the guides for some reason you can get it below.

I have been working on a rig for trees and other plants for this tutorial. The rig is complete and it looks great. Here is a video of the test using a palm tree. It has some real gentle wind at the beginning, that you really cannot see in the video, and it has a one big gust of wind.

I should be done with this tutorial by no later than Sunday. Enjoy!

Attachments

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " latest version of Blender? It's quite different."

I am sorry I should have asked why you think that the tutorial should be redone based on a new interface? And what are you having problems with?

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
You have all been waiting for it. The next tutorial has arrived.

Attachments

danieleman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2013 12:39 Edited at: 4th Mar 2013 12:41
Thank you Starmind for making this tutorial.Its useful for FPSC and Blender user,thanks again.

MY ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD LIKE YOURS.
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2013 18:09 Edited at: 8th Mar 2013 18:10
Quote: " And what are you having problems with?"

When I get to the UV part, this is all it shows.

[img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Don't waste your life

Attachments

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 00:23 Edited at: 9th Mar 2013 00:28
Quote: "When I get to the UV part, this is all it shows."

Ok while in UV Mode, there is an arrow box that if you press it, it will show the textures. Select the one that you want to use and then it will work for you.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 11:36:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 11:36:12