Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Model Creation Software + Export as .x file

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2013 21:29 Edited at: 26th Jan 2013 22:14
Ok, so i have 3 very powerful pieces of software that all have modeling capabilities.

I have Maya 2012, AutoCAD 2012 + Inventor Fusion 2012, and Endorphin LE.

I understand that my Maya also has Backburner and Composite (i have no idea what these to though).

So here's my thoughts, Maya 2012 is the best i know of at making 3D models and even animation. But I don't know how i would be able to export them in such a way to make a .x file for them. I know that AutoCAD is blueprinting software but i saw somewhere that Fusion can generate 3D models and i was thinking that I may be able to use some blueprints from AutoCAD to make some really nice 3D buildings and such in Fusion. However, this is just me assuming you can do all those things with them. I'm not too sure. I only know how to work AutoCAD. As for Endorphin LE, I read that it is one of the more powerful animation softwares out there, so i thought i might be able to make some moving machinery and such (like a bunch of gears moving together to operate a huge clock, yes, like Big Ben). But again, these are just thoughts. I still need to play around with this some more.

So please, if anyone knows anything about these different softwares and knows of some way I can do these things, please let me know!

My priority right now is Maya 2012. I NEED to be able to create my own models in there for use within FPSC. I'm a pretty decent model designer, but my problem is TEXTURING. I don't know how to texture things in that for squat. If anyone knows how I can, A) Export in such a way that i create a .x file to be used as an entity inside FPSC, or B) Apply textures to objects and models and such, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

If I get enough help, maybe ill design some cool FREE models for people. ;D

But for now, I only know what you do now.

Oh, i DID try googling all this and watching tutorials on youtube and none could really help. They gave some insight as to what i need to do, but not enough. I did learn that I could export my models as a .obj file, I don't know how well this corresponds with FPSC at all, but its something.

Any help on the matter would be MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated.

Thank you.

When the darkness falls...
... we arise
mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
1: Maya you could export to fbx and then convert to directX

2: Not a clue

3: Endorphin LE is no use to you as it can only export to movie
.avi etc
you would need the full version.
Siphon_Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2013 18:58
@mickeyb THANK YOU!!! Do you know how i would convert it to a directX? I can figure out the fbx export, but im clueless as to the conversion.

... we arise
mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2013 20:51 Edited at: 27th Jan 2013 20:55
There are a no of programs that will convert fbx to directX

Unwrap 3D
there is a demo but that will not let you export so you will need to buy full version.

http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx

Fragmotion
There is a full trial version

http://www.fragmosoft.com/

Panda Exporter for 3DS max
import your fbx into 3ds then export with this
you can find details Here

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2001&page=CharacterStudio

download

http://www.andytather.co.uk/panda/directxmax_downloads.aspx
Siphon_Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2013 02:36
Thanks @mickeyb I'll check those out.

... we arise
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 08:47 Edited at: 29th Jan 2013 08:52
This has been a long standing issue with trying to get rigged and animated models from Maya into the game engine.

The only advice I could give you is keep the rig simple and use rotational keying only. Out of the 25 or so models that I have tried to convert from Maya only one was succesful. I dont use Maya, I only use 3dmax to animate the models from artist that we get characters from Maya. I have been trying for a year or better to get the direct animation from maya into max and then into xfile format.

There is no animated xfile format export for Maya as of yet.
Must export to FBX format and bring it into 3dmax, Strip out the extra Maya stuff, and then export to xfile format using Pandasoft exporter. Most of the time there are scaling issue that have to be dealt with and when I try to rescale it in Max, it does with great pain and time, then it seems like any props or weapons dont follow the model once it is in 3dmax.

.obj format unfortunatly does not transfer the bones or animations either.

As far as static object from Maya, export to fbx or obj file and use one of the methods listed from mickyb.

This method was discovered from one of our animator using Maya, But I dont know enough about Maya to make it work. Maybe you will have better luck then I did.

I probably found a way how to convert models (with animations) from Maya to FPSC (perhaps I was late and you have found your own way already). Ok, I'll try to describe my way. I have not tested it personally, but I think it should work, but apart from Maya, you will need the 3DS Max too (I suppose the 3ds Max is your main tool, therefore you have it). Now, only what you will need is so-called "ActorX Importer" or UDK importer-exporter both for Maya and 3DS Max.
Check the following links: http://www.gildor.org/downloads <---There you'll find ActorX Importer for 3ds Max

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorXMayaTutorial.html
http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorX.html#Maya%20Exporter%20Plugins
There you should find some working exporter for Maya

I was testing ActorX Importer for 3ds Max and worked great, therefore Maya version should work fine too.
My plan is easy. You are opening your Maya model in Maya, and then converting to UDK file format. UDK supports a two file formats, namely PSK for meshes and PSA for bones with animations. Now, this converted model you have to import into 3ds Max by using ActorX Importer. When you'll do this, you'll need only export your model (which was imported before the moment) to .X format by using Pandasoft exporter.
I only tested ActorX Importer for 3ds Max as I wrote before, because I don't have Maya. However if this plugin works very well in 3DS Max, should works well in Maya too. My main program for animating and then for exporting is Fragmotion but I use 3DS Max from time to time.

Siphon_Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 03:38
I use Maya, i dont even have 3D Max. SO im stuck...

... we arise
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 10:04
Siphon Studios

Check out the link below for program resources:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=154983&b=3

I use 'Milkshape' for modelling which can Export to many formats including a reliable DirextX (.x) Exporter.
I use a third party program for UV mapping though which is 'Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro' and can be found at the link below:
http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx

Between these two 'inexpensive' programs I can do everything I need to get models into FPSC.
Maybe you should try using the 'Demo' versions of some programs to check them out to see if you feel comfortable using them but I think that the Demo versions have the Exporting disabled.
The more powerful programs are not always what you need to get things done.

Its up to you to make your mind up when using these programs.

Good luck
mickeyb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 11:28 Edited at: 30th Jan 2013 11:30
Siphon Studios

Found this free fbx 2 DirectX tool

http://code.google.com/p/fbx2xfile/

not tried it myself but it might help you out.
Siphon_Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 02:36
Ill check out the demo to Milkshape. I looked at some interface pictures and I like what I see. Ill also check out that UV mapping thing. I'm assuming its for textures?

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

... we arise
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 12:24
Quote: "Ill also check out that UV mapping thing. I'm assuming its for textures?"

A - Its a program which 'unwraps' the surface of the model to get the UV co-ordinates (Texture layout) for your base texture template.

When you have this template you then create your textures for the model in a image editing software such as 'Adobe Photoshop or Gimp (Free)'.
Milkshape does have a 'texture co-ordinate editor' built in but its not that great so I chose to use 'Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro' which is far more advanced for getting great results and easy to use (after reading some tutorials). It also supports '.FBX' format.

Practice is the key to everything so don't expect to get it wright fist time but it does pay in the end.

Good luck
Siphon_Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2013 01:27
@Ross tra damus

Thanks! Yeah i should get some good use out of it. Thanks everyone.

... we arise
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 22:13 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2013 22:15
Hey There guys! Though I swear by Milkshape as probably the easiest and fastest way of building low-poly models, I bought this app back when 1.4 came out, and just recieved my free 2.0 ver that was released this month. It's a great 3d app for game modeling, and they have added some cool new features in the new release. And it supports the .X file format.

It's a pretty cool app with a ton of features, and a small learning curve. And for just $60.00 it's not bad.

http://www.deepmesh3d.com/

Back from the Wasteland.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 22:44
Wow, $60 bucks,not bad. I've seen Deepmesh before and didn't think much of it. Might give it a try now?
CosmicP, if you happen to catch this, how is it in exporting .x files with animations?
Just watched the video tour of Ver2.0. It has come along way.Looks great.
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 23:25
I know, the new stuff is blowing my mind. As for .X file support I have not had any problems so far, and if you read the whole list, it supports, and exports all the popular file formats, including 3Dmax. I'm Lovin' it.

Back from the Wasteland.
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 23:51
Thanks for the Info Cosmic I'll take a look at at it and may purchase.

All the best of luck guys.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2013 01:52
@Siphon_Studios
This Deepmesh3D for $60 cant be beat. Just tried out the demo and I'm sold. Very user friendly, alot of prefabs. It even has
polygon reduction and cleanup.Free updates for life
Thanks CP for pointing this one out!
Siphon_Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2013 01:50
Hey guys, I tried working with Milkshape and I can see why it seems really simple. I just have no idea how to work it. The controls make no sense and im really lost with how to build different things. I got as far a a cube and sphere. -.-

... we arise
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 00:17
Siphon_Studios

Practice makes perfect I'm afraid to say because if you want to get into modelling you will have to put in the effort and study the general use of the programs and tools provided within.
NOTE - The use of Milkshapes keyboard shortcuts are almost an essential thing to remember when 'navigating' between the viewports.

NOTE - Search the net for Milkshape tutorials because there are many to be found which cover all difficulty levels.

Trust me when I say that it will all become second nature to you after a while.

Good Luck
Siphon_Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 04:05
yeah I was trying to find some good tutorials on youtube and such, but I couldn't find any that just show the basic fundamentals.

... we arise
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 05:39
Maybe some of this is still available...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131537&b=24

Back from the Wasteland.
Siphon_Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2013 05:56
Thanks! I'll check em out!

... we arise
DonWON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 03:59 Edited at: 15th Feb 2013 04:05
I tried out that program and although it is full of stuff the move and pan just drive me crazy. Maybe different in full version but I could not figure out where to change options as far as what hotkeys I wanted or if there were any. Due to the camera movements I will have to stick with the 100% free Blender. Nice to see other programs out there for beginners but as far as the ones that have been working in programs like Blender and 3d Max,this one is just to confusing lol. Maybe just to easy for my simple mind to learn hehe.

But as far as a do it all free alternative check out the newest Blender. Much better learning curve then older versions and you can set it to have the same controls and most hotkeys as Maya and 3ds Max if you want to.

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 01:01
Hey Cosmic Prophet I saw a windmill model you made once how did you get that to animate? I'm trying to do the same in 3d studio max. Did you use a simple rotate or did you use bones?

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 02:40
it looks like you can buy it for $25.00 right now.

gamer, lover, filmmaker

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 08:02:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 08:02:15