Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / New Computer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 01:46
Hey im getting a new computer

I use Dark Basic Pro

and I was wondering what to look for in my new computer and why
like what is the most important thing i need?

I have $$$$ so dont worrie about the cost

Thanks to any one who responds =)

$$$$ being lots if you were wondering

There will always be some one a little bit faster, a little bit smarter, a little bit stronger, that some one is me =)
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 01:57
Needs to Support Direct X, so get yourself a decent Video Card. That's the only big requirement of Dark Basic Pro i think...

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 10:03
At least 1 ghz
at least a 64mb video card
and 256 ram

Visit our new site! : http://www.megatoncreations.tk
MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 13:40
Quote: "I have $$$$ so dont worrie about the cost"

You don't need a new 'puter, send the $$$$ to me.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 15:08 Edited at: 18th Nov 2003 15:09
4 dollars???

Holy Crap. You are rich.

...and like that; he's gone...
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2003 17:57
if you are getting a new pc and don't have a dx9 graphics card i recomend the radeon 9600 if you can find it fot under 100 pounds(i am not shure what that is in other currencies), if you want a quiet pc then the saphire atlantis i got came with just a heatsink, no fan, and it works brilliantly so far, again 4<100pounds with 128Mb ddr ram.

AMD duron 1.3G, 640Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis +good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 13:07
Quote: "
At least 1GHz
at least a 64mb video card
and 256 ram
"

I have 1.6ghz, 64mb gf3, and 512mb ram. And I'm not satisfied. Some spots in UT2k3 run choppy for me, so I'll be upgrading myself in the next few weeks. Shoot, my Java software needs like 256mb ram just to run, and reccommends 512mb. I'll probably have about $1000 to spend, so I'm adding a micron 1gb ecc ddr chip, a second athlon MP 2.02GHz, audigy 2 platinum(my live platinum busted), and radeon 9800XT.
$500 graphics card, maybe I should just buy a Wildcat?
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 14:54
thats a souped a pc man

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 16:16
Dunno, quite like laptops these days. Programming and accessing the internet while lying in bed. Has never been better

Talking of which, does anyone remember that link to a laptop that was mentioned here a couple of months ago? Was very high spec for about £1200.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 17:07
All the money you need for it eh?

Then go to Dell.Com and click on 'Dimension XPS'
Then click on 'Customize it'

Then click on 3.2 Ghz with hyperthreading, or if you're insane click on 3.2Ghz 'Extreme Edition' with hyperthreading.

Click XP Professional.
Enjoy the free printer and digicam. They'll make up for the free pritner with ink cartridges don't worry, you're not robbing them.

Click 2GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHZ.

Click NEW 256MB DDR ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9800 XT (you will be happy yes)

Click NEW 500GB RAID 0 (2 x 250GB SATA HDDs)
Click 8x DVD+R/+RW Drive with CD-RW including Sonic RecordNow and MyDVD LE

Get the 21' LCD flat panel monitor or if you want a frill, go for the DELL 30" LCD TV. Or both.

Forget all the Dell Speaker options unless you want somethign extra, and just hook the baby up to your stereo.

I guarantee you'll be happy with the above.

Except for the price.

I would be.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 18:47 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2003 18:47
If money is no problem then go for this:

http://ads.peel.com/peelMediaAds/1116/cre1116.html?w=567

I've got no idea what it is. It was a popup.

Metamophic
Years of Service
User Offline
i would DEFENITLY go with ABS. recently bought a new PC from them: athlon 2400, 256MB ram, 64MB GF4 MX, 60GB HD, dvd drive, cd burner, logitech speakers and subwoofer, and winXP all for $700 (dont know how much that would be in pounds for you brits ). i am VERY satisfied. if i had the money i would probably go for the M6.

www.freewebs.com/metamorphicsoft
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 21:22
money not a problem?
Get ALIENWARE!

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 21:27
No get this one:

http://ads.peel.com/peelMediaAds/1116/cre1116.html?w=567

It has three screens!
And one on the computer itself!

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 21:58
Its a good popup.

<DOES NOT COMPUTE>
<DOES NOT COMPUTE>
<DOES NOT COMPUTE>
<DOES NOT COMPUTE>
<DOES NOT COMPUTE>
<DOES NOT COMPUTE>
<DOES NOT COMPUTE>

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 22:12 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2003 22:15
All I see is this

Must not like firebird it's susposed to show me this.
http://ads.peel.com/peelMediaAds/1116/Lcomp8a.jpg

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Then go to Dell.Com..."

AAHHH! NOOOO!!!

Dude, don't get a Dell!

When I got my Dell, I thought it was awesome because it had a CD-burner. Then again, I knew practically nothing about computers. In any case, my case is about 16 inches tall and 4 inches wide - NOT upgradable at all. Also, they don't offer a wide variety of graphics cards. Even if they offer, say, an FX for your PC, they'll rip you off for it and give you a cheap "dell" version of the card. Not only that, they have these retarded little slots unique to Dell computers so that standard store-bought upgrades, such as graphics cards, don't work with it. I know, I had that problem. They also give you a stupid dell motherboard. Obviously mine was not upgradable AT ALL, so since I wanted a new case so I had room for an AGP graphix card (I have PCI!), I had to buy a brand new motherboard as well.

Long story short, Dell sucks big time. The only reason they're America's number one comuter is because half the American public knows little to nothing about PCs.

If you want a computer go to Alienware. Those computers tend to be expensive, though, but you will however know what exactly what you're getting, you'll know that it's high quality, and you'll know that it's upgradable.

Frankly the best way to do it is to find a local guru who'll build it for you and not rip you off. That's why my brother did and his PC runs as smooth as butter, still running the latest stuff, and his is about 6 months old.

Hope I was of some service to ya

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, my "local guru" told me he bought a Dell laptop, went out to Circuit City and bought a cable so that he could hook it into the cigarette lighter in his car. For some reason the cable wouldn't plug into the back of his comp. Turns out he had to buy a special adapter from Dell! Cheap corporate America.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2003 23:53
Dell comps aren't that bad, They are not gameing machines and you don't have a lot of upgrade options. Haven't ever seen one with non-standard slots. I have upgraded the grafics and sound cards and ram in a few. They do use OEM hardware and and Dell don't keep their drivers up to date which can be a big problem. They are generally reliable and perform ok.

For people here I would recomend they build there own, that way you can avoid most of the problems when you next upgrade.

dbpro : p166mmx @ 233 : 256mb : sb 128pci : sis onboard
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2003 01:42
my family has had bad experience with dell customer service

Beauty, eh? RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2003 01:48 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2003 01:50
Quote: "my family has had bad experience with dell customer service"

Dont go with Dell. They overprice their computers.

My bro was searching for a computer around July. He checked the Dell models, then we compared them with HP, compaq, etc. He found a more powerful Compag PC for less then the less powerful dell.

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
While Compaq's may be better than dell, I certainly hope you're not implying that they're good, ROFL.

DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 13:44
I really hate Dell, and for the same reasons i hate AOL:

They advertise so much everyone thinks they're the best, when they are in fact, crap.

That's the only reason. They're crappy but everyone thinks they're great. God knows how many times i've had to explain that to people. My Dad has a Dell PC and it won't let him upgrade to XP, and it crashes around the 5-minutes left mark, so that's very annoying. Plus the PC takes about 5-7 minutes from turning on to Desktop. Argh. The thing makes me so angry, and to make it worse he uses AOL which kills his Resources and interferes with anything else that's running.

AAARRGH....feel a lil' better now.

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 13:57
I agree 110% with DivW about AOL (never used a Dell though, but i will now stay away).

AOL sucks your computer dry, automaically makes itself default browser (which means everytime you try to open up an IE window AOL pops up and is half way through connecting you to the net before you know what's going on.), It goes crazy on pop-ups (AOLs solution seems to be "block them" when their definition of "block them" must be "Put it in the background and let it download the 200kb image that makes up the whole page without giving an option to disable it)

Im joining in with DivW...

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... PoP (Head explodes)

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 14:16
I'd say this would be the average computer you should get (not worse):
AMD Athlon 2400+ (thoroughbred b)
512MB DDR (with a speed that your motherboard can support)
and a good Motherboard.
Raden 9600 Pro or perhaps 9500 pro 128 if you can still find it.

that would be the most value for your money at the moment. If you get a comp with worse specs, you won't save much money really. This is the 'optimum', at least around here. Where you live, it might be a bit higher already. (here the leap from 2400+ to 2600+ is significantly bigger than from 2200 to 2400+, for example)
But if money isn't a problem then get the best you can.

oh yeah, if you want to go with the brand names, prepare to pay for that.

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2003 23:13
i go with las6 on the graphics, i got a saphire 9600 atlantis recently and there isn't much that i can throw at it to slow it down, only time i get judders is halo on high settings and that's not because of the graphics card it is because my duron 1.3ghz processor is on a mobo which is only supposed to go up to 850mhz and can't handle tha ai.
go with radeon, they are much better value for money than nvidia

AMD duron 1.3G, 640Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Tasik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 04:46
Nice computers well I did buy one

2.8 GHZ
128 MB Radeon
80 GB Hard Drive
512 RAM
Sound Card (I dono witch)
And Keyboard and stuff
It was about ($$$$)
IM poor now
Thanks though guys

There will always be some one a little bit faster, a little bit smarter, a little bit stronger, that some one is me =)
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 12:14
128mb radeon, but what model?
And I presume you went with Intel? No wonder you're poor now.
Hope it is easy to use, at least.

I have 128mb radeon too.
it's just 9000 pro. And that's noticeable slower than 9600 or better!

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 12:18
Get an I64 machine - there may be no 64-bit software (yet), but 32-bit software can still run.

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 12:26
That's a total waste of money now. No proper support and 64bit processors cost a Way more than the others. And 32bit application speeds are what they are, sometimes even slower.

Plus, when the support finally comes, your processor would already be "slow" and "old". You could then probably get a lot better processor even cheaper than the one you bought. Because 64bits wouldn't be a new thing anymore. That means it would be mainstream, and the prices would be about the same as now.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 12:59
Well, if people started buying 64-bit computers now, perhaps Intel would hurry up and start doing 128-bit processors. With AMD's 64-bit chip, 32-bit processing is more or less the correct speed.
Besides, 64-bit software will be along early next year, with XP 64-bit version, and various other bits.
I wouldn't say its a waste of money - maybe wait until XP comes out, and then get one.

Mirrors are more fun than television. Well, that was fun, in a not-so-fun sort of way...
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 13:08
it is a waste of money.
Cos if you wait just a bit, the price is gonna come down a lot.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 13:19
As I said, wait until XP comes out - prices of computers are always falling, there's never a good time to buy one.

las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 14:01 Edited at: 27th Nov 2003 14:02
Yes there is, you just have to look for the optimum price.
Cos when something is a new product, it will usually have a shockingly high price tag. But wait a couple months and it will come down, a lot. But it will eventually reach a stage where the price isn't dropping almost at all... and eventually after that it will go out of market.

But what you need to do is take a list of something like the Athlon XP processors. Make it linear. take 1800+,2000+,2200+,2400+,2600+,2800+,3200+ (thoroughbred b - not barton) for example. Now, look at the prices. I'm sure you'll find the optimum if you pay a little attention to it.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2003 14:16 Edited at: 27th Nov 2003 14:18
Maybe, but prices tend to vary daily unfortunately, hence most of the time you buy a computer, there's a cheaper one with the same spec availiable a few days later.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2003 20:35
What an overload of information for the poor guy

Well it sounds like he got a decent computer at least

Unlike me

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 20:23:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 20:23:49