Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Smoke Effect (And Fire) to 'animate' a picture.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 12:07 Edited at: 12th Feb 2013 12:09
I recently looked at a few tutorials and other peoples WIP on smoke effects and some of them looked really great but i have had a look at the code and i dont understand what is going on so i wonder if someone could break it down a little as to whats going on.

Ideally i want to "animate" just a small portion of this image

(which is not mine by the way i will not be using it for a finished product purely for testing purposes). What i want to do is just simply animate some smoke coming from the chimney and occasionally have a bird or 2 fly past while the menu screen is sort of floating on the foreground. So its a bit of a surreal like scene. Yet i can also fully use the menu while it is happening.

I would also like to know how to do a realistic full fire effect (all prefereably 3d) that would include the smoke for other purposes too and i imagine the principle is the same but different in another way if that makes sense.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 14:37
[initiate shameless plug]

Is this what you're looking for?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=190374&b=1

TheComet

http://blankflankstudios.tumblr.com/
"ZIP files are such a retarded format!" - Phaelax
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 19:57
Some cool example vids there, im downloading it as i type, looks like what im after, but im afraid i have to ask. How would i use it? I have downloaded so many plugins but i have no idea where to start with them. Half of them i dont even know the commands let alone what they do and what context to use them in. Could you sort of write up a mini tutorial on 3d fire and smoke?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2013 21:26
Quote: "Some cool example vids there, im downloading it as i type, looks like what im after, but im afraid i have to ask. How would i use it? I have downloaded so many plugins but i have no idea where to start with them. Half of them i dont even know the commands let alone what they do and what context to use them in. Could you sort of write up a mini tutorial on 3d fire and smoke? "

They're not plugins, they're plain code that you can just copy/paste into your project, and you just have to call the functions (like TCL_Create3DFire() to make fire).

The documentation describes everything in detail, and should be enough to get you started.

If you have any specific questions, or if you want me to explain sections of the code, feel free to ask.

And of course if you're looking to tweak/create other effects, I'd be willing to assist.

TheComet

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2013 11:32
Cool ill have a play soon. Thanks very much.
Is it difficult making effects from scratch though? Id like to know the mechanics behind making such effects. I heard something about making a plane and texturing it with something then making loads of them move about in a direction with a random wiggle on it or something but i am confusing and boring myself just saying that
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2013 16:29
Quote: "I heard something about making a plane and texturing it with something then making loads of them move about in a direction with a random wiggle on it or something but i am confusing and boring myself just saying that "

...You just answered yourself.

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 12:26:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 12:26:55