Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Sending an email

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 16:54
Hey all,

I've spend a lot of time searching the forums and google for an answer to this, but I can't find anything. Am I missing something? I need to send a simple email from my program.

This is what I found on the forums:

But alas, it does nothing. Anyone got any better solutions?

Thanks

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2013 17:57
Perhaps try ShellExecute instead of dbExecuteFile. I don't have DarkGDK installed, and I can't test right now. I'll see if I can test later on today.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2013 08:40
Any progress on this?

I'm pretty sure mailto is a URI, not a shell command. And even if you can find a way to run it, what it's going to do is open an e-mail draft in the user's default e-mail program (if one exists) with the specified information. The user will probably have to intervene to send it.

If you want to send an e-mail without intervention, my guess is you need to open a connection to a mail server somehow (Telnet?). It's pretty easy to communicate with mail servers through text messages once you can find a way to create the connection.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2013 12:01 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2013 12:02
The easiest thing if you just want to send an automated message would probably be to make a PHP script for it, perhaps require some key so that people don't spam you merely by visiting the script's address, and then call URLDownloadToFile to execute said script.
Of course there are other better ways, but that would by far be the simplest to implement I believe.

PHP's mail function:

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 15:14
Gah, totally forgot to check this out. I did look it up, and looks like you'll have to manually open sockets to the email server and then send it through there. Here's a StackOverflow answer.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:44:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:44:31