Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Bejeweled clone

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 22:50 Edited at: 12th Mar 2013 03:29
Still early work, but the game mechanics are basically finished. A theme for the graphics is still undetermined.

I've got the vertical and horizontal match detection finished, as well as swapping gems. I've also changed the graphics and sound a little bit since the video.

Download

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 23:28
Difficulty level:
- Easy
- Medium
- Hard
- Skewed

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2013 23:55
lol yea it's a feature. Anyway, I used a different codec to compress the video and reuploaded it.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2013 08:12 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2013 08:14
Lately I've been caught up on the graphics, decided to go with a kitten theme. (cause everyone loves kittens!)

I think it took me longer to draw the ball of yarn than it did the window frame or even the cats. I like my curtains, but they just don't seem to fit in very well.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 03:29 Edited at: 12th Mar 2013 03:30
I've added a download link to what I have so far if anyone wants to test it. See first post for link.

ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
I just played it for about 10 minutes and it works really well. It's fluid, responsive and fun. Is there any way to win or lose right now?

The sprites are quite nice as well. You might consider adding a few subtle shadows (the ambient occlusion kind of passive obfuscation, if you know what I mean) for yarn balls next to the wood (at the sides, top and bottom) to add a bit more plasticity to the scene. Also, the cats on top have got their shadows above themselves instead of below, which looks a little strange.

One more thing about the gameplay though, it's somewhat difficult to move a ball diagonally. I didn't even know this was possible at first and found out by accident. Sometimes I need more than 5 tries until the game finally recognizes my intention. Apart from that - very nice and motivating. It's cool to trigger those occasional "chain reactions".

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 00:51
Quote: ", it's somewhat difficult to move a ball diagonally. I didn't even know this was possible at first "

Cause it's not suppose to be possible! I only discovered it recently myself, so I think it's a bug that just crept up. Glad it's working smoothly though.

I'm still working out all the mechanics, so graphics were kind of a secondary thing so far. The cats, well, I just put them in randomly with little thought. I'm just glad it didn't crash!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 13:02:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 13:02:38