Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK for beginners?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Man it has been a long time since I have been on these forums.

I have been taking C++ in college with the intent of getting into game development.

I am fairly confident with my C++ but mainly with just console applications, not graphical stuff.

I have looked around at various engines from freeware stuff to commercial stuff like Unreal and Source. UDK does not allow access to the C++ files so I wouldn't want to mess around with that just yet, and Source has very little documentation so the source files just went over my head.

How well is Dark GDK documented? My main problem is that most of these engines are not well documented so a good majority of the content is way above my skill level.

Does Dark GDK work well with the TGC store(for models etc), and which tools can I used to create maps that are usable in Dark GDK?
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkGDK has a good documentation of the commands. It is fairly easy to get into, as the commands are simple enough to understand.

DarkGDK works great with TGC store assets, since they were made for dbPro, FPS Creator, and DarkGDK. To create maps I reccomend MapScape (http://www.evolved-software.com/mapscape/mapscape) it is made for dbPro and DarkGDK.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
Does the free version of Dark GDK work for Visual Studio 2010, or do I have to buy Dark GDK 2.0 to be able to work in VS 2010?
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
The community released a patch to work in VC++ 2010, you can get it here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=176637&b=22

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:32:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:32:00