Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Backing Up DB Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Hey,

I received DB Pro in the mail from Amazon this morning, and before I do anything else, I'd like to insure myself against future problems. The first thing I do when I buy new software is back up my cd's so that I can reinstall the software if something goes wrong, even if the cd has a problem.

However, I understand there is some kind of copy protection on the DB Pro cd ( something about the cd is required every x number of compiles? ) So my question is twofold :

1) Is it allowed to backup my cd? My understanding is that I have a legal right to do so with any cd software, but I would rather not do so without the ok of the copyright holder.

2) Is it technically possible to backup the cd? Is there some kind of protection which will make it difficult to backup? Is there a particular piece of software I'll need to achieve it?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2003 15:11
1) Yes

2) Use Alcohol 120% and set the image/cd detection option to "SafeDisc 2". It will then copy the CD correctly. Infact if you've got the hard drive space, just make a virtual image from it and keep it on your hard drive (saves CD swapping every 500 compilations). Alcohol is the best CD copying software there is anyway, so it's a worthy investment.

Cheers,

Rich

"It's easy to be mean when death equals a high score screen."
"You can take your Quake and go away, I'd rather play Bubble Bobble any day."
sybixsus
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent, thanks for the help. I've been using a demo of Alcohol 120% for backing up games, so it sounds like it's time to purchase it. I hadn't thought of that keeping an image on the hard drive idea, that's a nice one.

Thanks again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:49:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:49:20